1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Gordon Ramsay's Hashbrown baked egg and bacon breakfast

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by EvilGenius, Aug 8, 2021.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Looking for new breaky ideas of youtube I came across Gordon Ramsay's Hashbrown, baked eggs and bacon American breakfast. Looked the goods so gave it a go. I'm going to type this up as a how to, but if you just want to follow the master, the video is here.

The bastard makes it look so easy on tv. Pfft.

You're going to need an oven pre-heated to 180°C and a couple of non-stick pans that can go in the oven. If you don't have oven safe pans, improvise.
    3 medium potatoes
    1 medium onion.
    Salt/Pepper/spice of your choice
    Olive Oil
    Butter
    Eggs x how hungry are you?
    Bacon
    Optional brown sugar or preferably maple syrup.

Started out with 3 grated medium potatoes, no idea what variety, just the dirty ones from woolies, because that's what I had. To this I added a 3/4 grated 1/4 chopped onion. Odd you say, why would you grate/chop it like that? Let me tell you why. You know how chopping onions makes you cry? Grating an onion is like that only about a million times worse. For the love of all that's holy do not ever grate an onion. Just chop the damn thing. I had tears and mucous leaking out of me for 20mins after grating it. Really just don't do it.

[​IMG]

At this point Gordon seasons with Olive oil, Salt, Cayenne Pepper. All due respect to Gordon, that's just stupid. Don't do that.

What you really want to do is season with a generous amount of salt, then let it sit for a bit. The salt is going to help draw out a bunch of moisture from the potato/onion concoction, and moisture is the enemy of cooking this bad boy.

After 10mins I gave it all a good mix and squeezed it hard against the side of the colander. A LOT of moisture came out. If you had seasoned it with anything more than salt earlier, most of this would now be in the bowl/sink instead of the potatoes. After draining, then season with olive oil and seasoning of your choice. The mrs isn't keen on heat, so I went with olive oil, more salt and ground black pepper instead of cayenne.

From there it's into a very hot pan with a fair amount of olive oil. Pat it all down firm and make sure it's even/level.

[​IMG]

Gordon then throws some chunks of butter around the edges to help it crisp up. What I should have done first was go around the edges with the spatula and create a little bit of an indent between the pan and potato that the butter could seep down into. As it was, it just sorta sat on top a bit. Ah well.

[​IMG]

Probably had it on for a good 10mins before flipping it. This is the fun part. Put a plate over the pan and flip it right over letting the hashbrown flop onto the plate. If you've used a good non-stick pan and enough oil as I did, this goes well. If you don't I imagine it could get messy :)

[​IMG]

Cooking the first side soaked up most of the oil so I put a splash more in and then slid it off the plate back into the pan. So far so good.

[​IMG]

At this point I diverged from Gordon's recipe a bit, the mrs and I love mushrooms with our breakfast so they had to go on. I've been experimenting with cooking them for a while and I'm pretty sure I've got it nailed.

Thick cut, no less than quarters for a medium-large button mushy. If you cut them too thin the mushroom flavour is lost in the end. To that add enough butter that you can imagine your doctor giving you side eye.

[​IMG]

After mixing them around I put in even more butter after that.

Once they were browned up nicely I transferred to a smaller pan and added a solid teaspoon of minced garlic and a generous amount of salt. More side eye from my doctor :Paranoid: You just want this 2nd pan on a medium heat and stir occasionally so they don't burn. After 5-10mins reduce to low heat and just keep warm for serving.

[​IMG]

By now the other side of the hashbrown has had a good 10mins of it's own. Turn off the stove and get your eggs ready. Crack them right on top of the hashbrown and transfer to the oven.

[​IMG]

What would a good breakfast be without coffee...

[​IMG]

6-8mins in the oven for eggs with a nice soft and runny centre. Longer if you're a heathen who likes hard yolks. You can ruin your eggs how you please.

While in the oven you want to cook your bacon. I don't have any pics of this phase of the cook because the mrs doesn't like glazed bacon, which is a sticking point between us to be honest, I may have to get a new mrs. She likes hers cooked until just before the point it becomes charcoal :Paranoid: I prefer mine to still be part of the food pyramid.

Now we just need to plate it all up. Nothing fancy here. Quartered it up and onto the plate with bacon and mushrooms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final thoughts.

Either something went wrong with my cook or Gordon has erred. The finished product looked pretty much like his did, so I'm going to blame him, because I can.

Baking the eggs on top of the hashbrown robbed it of it's crunch and gave it an unpleasant texture not too far removed from wet cardboard. The taste was there, but without the crunch it just doesn't work. If I were doing this dish again I'd skip adding the eggs to the hashbrown altogether and just cook them separately to taste, fried, poached, hell even scrambled. Just not baked on top of the hashbrown, it ruins and otherwise great feed.

I'd also love to maple glaze the bacon. I'm sure brown sugar is great and all, but maple syrup is better. Gordon should know this.

Without the glazed bacon both the mrs and I went looking for sauce to add to the hashbrown/eggs. She was partial to bbq, tomato for myself. Tomato relish would have been nice but I keep forgetting to restock... That's on me.

2. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

im a bit of a gordon fan.
    looks tasty. that's my sort of meal . good pics.

EvilGenius likes this.
  3. Sniper

Sniper Member

Would be nice without the mushies

4. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Epic OP, great job :thumbup:

The full critique/assessment is just excellent for anyone who wants to actually try cooking it.
    I know that I am certainly guilty of being a bit too keen to portray everything I cook as a resounding success, and glossing over mistakes...
    honest feedback is a godsend to those who are trying to learn. Forget the eggs on top, do them seperately.
    Cooking perfect eggs is enough of a challenge just by themselves.

Not gonna lie, I'd still smash either of those plates and be ready for a third coffee though. :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    EvilGenius likes this.
  5. BlueRaven

Sorry for the double-post, but here's an additional tip that applies to grated-potato-anything... hash browns, rosti, kartoffelpuffer (German potato pancake which is what this ^ basically is, look up a recipe, awesome!).

After salting/seasoning and letting the grated potato/onion mix drain for 10-15, transfer the mixture into a clean teatowel and really wring it out over the sink to remove as much moisture as possible.
    This will enable the potatoes to thoroughly cook through and get crispy on the outside over a lower heat because you don't have to try and steam off the water, so there's less risk of burning it and you'll get a better result.

The amount of butter in those mushrooms is ludicrous, I approve this message (unless your medical history involves heart conditions). :thumbup:
    Not sure what you're going to do about the glazed/crispy vs. charcoal bacon situation... PlentyOfFish a possible solution?

andurils_sheath likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

As serious as the bacon issue is.. no not really an option. I mean there's the mortgage, the fact that she has easy access to an appendage I quite enjoy having while I sleep.. I think a better option might be cooking mine separately in yet another pan. The argument over how much mess I made in the kitchen is probably the lesser of two evils.

I did read about putting all the potato in a cheese cloth/clean tea towel and twisting it up to get the moisture out. Probably would have saved time over the 5mins or so I spent pressing it into the side of the colander :)

The mushrooms have been a multi-year weekend breakfast experiment. Everyone knows the 'french' way of cooking them in butter. Then I read some mushroom scientist who says the french have it all wrong, cook them in water, then add butter at the end. The idea being that essentially boiling them in water first encourages the mushrooms to shed their moisture which then allows you to fry the them and get that nice browning etc. It does indeed result in a very dehydrated mushroom, but a 500g punnet of mushy's disappears into nothing and they're all rubbery. I then went back to the french method, but was still thinly slicing them. They cook up fine.. but getting rid of all that moisture in them also takes away the distinct mushroom flavour. In the end I settled on thickly sliced, drowned in butter for the first half of the cook and drowned in garlic for the second half. You really need to be careful not to overcook them though. Cook them down too much and they go all rubbery and they flavour just isn't there.

BlueRaven likes this.
  7. alch

alch Member

Haha, Did some of them the other week, but better than ramseys. Squeeze all teh starch out the grated potato and then in water and wring again forgot to put flour in though.. oh well..

8. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I agree, by not pan frying the eggs and placing them on top, youve lost two potential layers of crispyness, one on the underside of the egg and one on the top of the hash.

eitherway this is disgustingly unhealthy, I wouldnt advise having this very often.

9. BlueRaven

My concern would be burning the minced garlic and turning the whole lot into a bitter mess.
    (There's definitely another relationship joke there, but I reckon I'll leave it alone :) )

I usually slice them around 5mm thick if they're decently sized shrooms, then say a hearty "fuck you" to the medical professionals and chuck about 2 tbsp of butter into the pan to cook them down.
    A bit of finely chopped fresh garlic thrown in once they've settled down, fry over medium heat until you just can't wait any longer.
    Individual methods may vary, as seen here. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Comon dude are you serious? :tongue: There's nothing better on this planet than bacon and fried mushrooms.....my mouth is watering right now just looking at the pic. I think I know what I'll be having this saturday morning for breakfast now :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Delicious > unhealthy :p

Definitely don't put this much effort into a breakfast very often at all. Usually me going all out is a 3 egg omelette that gets divided between the two of us.
    Have at it, I decided half way through typing this post up that she could never see it :lol: Thankfully she's not a member and isn't ever going to be interested in becoming one.

And spot on with the call on the garlic. That's why it doesn't go in till the second half of the cook, and on much lower heat than with the mushy's initially frying up. The main reason though for keeping the heat down when the garlic goes in is that if you have it up too high, the garlic goes off like popcorn and splatters all over the place. If you keep the temp down though it just stirs in and you get a nice coating on everything. Essentially at that point the mushy's are already cooked and you're just cooking the harshness out of the garlic, developing the flavour.

BlueRaven likes this.