Got 6 New WD Drives on Ebay - I think they're ALL fake

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Jai, Aug 24, 2012.

1. rowan194

rowan194 Member

I had a look at a few of those and they all show multiple items available and sold (eg one listing shows 23 shows, another shows 30), so we're probably talking about several hundred drives all up. Maybe even thousands. Probably has a contact at an e-cycling place: buys them used for barely more than scrap metal value, rebirths them with a new label...

2. OP
    OP
    Jai

Jai Member

Even if it is a recycle stock why would you go to the hassle of redoing stickers to make what was probably a legit WD drive now a fake? I think WD might be very interested in this fella.

3. akashra

akashra Member

Don't even bother with the seller contact - go straight for the Paypal dispute, and make it very clear you're claiming because they're selling fraudulent devices. Let PayPal deal with clearing that side of it up.

4. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

HDDs and memory cards are 2 things I would never buy on eBay. Too many fakes and cheaters

5. rowan194

rowan194 Member

The drives are probably "genuine" WD, it's just their age and used status that is being deliberately misrepresented.

OP - can you see any remnants of the previous sticker? Do the casings have any scuff marks?

6. ashleyc

ashleyc Member

Checking the ebay link, even the images they are using to sell the 120GB drives has the word patents spelled incorrectly.

7. quantocks

quantocks New Member

8. ics

ics Member

I read somewhere that a western digital factory had a major theft of a truckload of hard drives a year or so ago.

Somebody literally drove a truck up to the factory in the middle of the night, loaded it up with new stock and drove off.

All the stolen drives had their serial numbers recorded so it would not surprise me if your looking at stolen drives that have had a new sticker to hide the original serial number.

T

9. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

That seems somewhat unlikely.

I can imagine WD having two HDD case designs and PCBs for a 120GB 2.5" HDD in production at once (maybe a 5400RPM version and a 7200RPM version), but here we've got three cases and three PCBs. Unlikely to all come from one shipment; more likely these have been pulled out of old hardware (USB enclosures, laptops, etc) and given a new-looking sticker.

10. Iron_Horse

Iron_Horse Member

Fake.
    The part number amuses me...

11. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

From WD's website, it looks like there's not actually any such drive as a WD1200BEVT anyway.

They previously had the WD1200BEVS (SATA 120GB 2.5"). This is now a legacy product and has not been replaced. The smallest SATA 2.5" drive they sell now is 250GB.

12. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Yes but look @ the production date. 10 May 2010

I think WD had 120GB for sale at that time.

Either way, its highly suspicious and the dates are old from manufactured. Go to a store and buy a HDD, not online/FleaBay

When it comes to anything from 'Hong Kong' or that area :p I buy 1 of the item to scope it out and to see if it's legit, 95% of the time it isn't.

13. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Simple and safe rules for eBay, assume all is fake or dodgey, anything not is a bonus.

I dont buy drives from fleabay, PERIOD.

Buy new.