Got a cat? Post it here!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by AngelMoo, Nov 9, 2006.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Whoa... that sounds like something to try these holidays! I pull enough loose fluffy fur off of my kitty over the course of a few months to stuff a second cat!

2. Reaper

Reaper Member

I still get more fur out just by deep stroking/brush though. It loves it when I pat it outside, I stroke out so much fur it becomes tumble weeds in the breeze. The vac is just fun. :) Have to be careful to not get full suction and have the vac pull on kitty though, she didn't seem to mind too much though about that, sorta keep the vac sorta sideways instead of full on. The bristle attachment helps, but clogs up quick.

3. Azzan

Azzan Member

4. Azzan

Azzan Member

5. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I had a gorgeous 2m python licking the back door last year, saying hello to Miss Tinkerbelle who was in a sit stance inside. Her meow said it all, it’s hilarious hearing a cat meow “What in the actual good gods name is that?!”.

Speaking of which; C44DF085-19A9-444A-A917-C1147D7B99BD.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  6. shredder

shredder Member

Jeez dude. Miss Tinkerbelle was 1 x door away from probable predation. That would freak me out.

Here all we need to worry about (in that sense) is asshole dog owners letting their pets escape and/or wander.

Over the years we've had a doberman and a rottweiler randomly wander down the driveway.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

My former cat once got swooped by one of those brown birds (what are they called? name escapes me). It had a good go at getting him or scaring him (dunno)

EDIT. I'm so relieved. My cat disappeared just after she had her needles at the vet. No sign of her, didn't come in. She's just reappeared. huge sigh of relief.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  8. Azzan

Azzan Member

I bet snake won't eat this.. cos it's too cute :p
    [​IMG]

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  9. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

A foster carer had a kitten taken by a snake last year :(

10. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I know there's been some discussions here about international transport, but does anyone have any experience with the two possible ways of transporting a cat from distant parts of the mainland to tasmania? This is an issue we dont have for another 18 months at least, but we're planning on moving down there, and my partner is very concerned about air travel. I'm concerned the stress of two days in the car to melbourne, a day in the ferry, and a day in the car to hobart is significantly worse than the stress of a three hour plane flight, even with the concerns of pet transport on planes (and indeed the dog that died on qantas yesterday). Any experiences or thoughts would be welcome

11. mareke

mareke Member

Recently I moved house to an adjacent suburb and my cat was so stressed he hid all day and the next day under a treadmill until I coaxed him out, took him to his feeding tray & sat next to him while he drank water continuously for a couple of minutes and then ate. Had I not sat next to him I'm not sure he'd have drank & eaten and he could have died from dehydration. The 3 hour plane flight means you could be reunited with your cat the same day & take him home & coax him to drink & eat like I did. In my opinion the other option is likely be far more stressful for your cat.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  12. darknebula

darknebula Member

Latest member of the family, she is almost 2 years and pure Lilac Point Birman

she is the sweetest thing in the whole world

85FBB3F9-B9E2-4BE6-8C9E-C8268EFC2944.jpeg FD03066E-170F-434D-BC17-E675BD02439C.jpeg 147B8CA1-CBCC-470B-B346-9C6C66F487DD.jpeg 3B1F1E0F-5DCB-49BC-B4CC-A0C9E25188DD.jpeg

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

I agree with you, but it depends on the cat whether you could do it or not.
    Unless your cat can walk on a lead and is very laid back and is used to going in the car and doesn't get upset or sick, I wouldn't take a cat on a long road trip. You have to let him/her go to the toilet, and out to eat and drink. Even if you could fit a huge dog crate in your car so he could have his litter tray, close quarters with cat poo is not fun, and you'd have to open it to get the tray out with all the car doors firmly shut. He/she'll probably try to bolt and if he gets out, you'll never see him again. You can't stop for long for fuel and food, because the car would be too hot. Also, where are you going to sleep? You'd have to find accommodation that allows pets. If he starts up yowling if he's not used to it/doesn't like it, you won't last long before getting kicked out. Do they let you have free access to your car on the ferry? If not, that's all night he'd be stuck there on his own. Much shorter stuck in the cargo hold of a plane that the cargo hold of the ferry.
    I've had several cats over many years. One of my cats could probably do it (he was very unusual). All of the others I wouldn't try with. We had a childhood cat that we took on holidays to Lancelin and he did ok, but you can't do that any more, many places won't let you have pets the way they used to in the "olden days" and he took hours and hours to coax back when it was time to come home. It didn't go uneventfully, even though he didn't run away or get killed.
    Pet carriage companies ferry animals around all the time. Yes, it's possible that something could go awry. It's also possible that something horrible can happen at home at any time. I don't think you should focus on what might happen-I think there's a lot worse that might happen on a road trip than on a short plane trip.

(Even though dogs are "easier" because you can stop, and let them out on their leads for a poo and a walk around, I'd still probably stick my dogs on a plane than make them go through days and days shut up in the car. I once did the nullarbor with dogs breathing down my neck, it's not much fun)

hollysmum likes this.
  14. broccoli

broccoli Member

My little cat has gone all smoochy today. Usually, she goes off by herself, today she's been in and out constantly, all smoochy and kneading and the whole ball of wax. I don't know what's got her motor running, but it's a nice change.

BurningFeetMan likes this.