Got a cat? Post it here!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by AngelMoo, Nov 9, 2006.

Tags:
  1. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't think it boils down to taste, so much as habit. If a person is used to macca's every day, they'll not fancy a plate of steamed veges. You've got to wean them off "their" food and get them eating other stuff.

I've just approached changes in diet by giving them what they're getting. They might reject it and carry on about it, but eventually they eat it when they realise there's nothing else on the menu. It's a bit tough at first when they do the "routine" on you, the "woe is me" crying and the "I'm being starved" melodramatic face.

My newest cat came to me only liking one variety of one brand of tinned food. He now eats everything the other girls get. I started him on "his" food, then he'd get what the others got and "his" food sometimes. He just sort of forgot he didn't like anything, and started eating everything he was given. [He didn't really have a choice, I've got too many pets to pay a fortune for expensive tins. I just tell them it's food, I'm not running an a la carte restaurant and they can take it or leave it :lol: (they take it, eventually)]

EDIT: my cat before was on a special diet. He used to get Hills Prescription, but one time they were out of stock so I got the Royal canin instead and he liked that better. Maybe give that a try?

2. Foliage

Foliage Member

My old cat used to be fussy but we were strict, if she didn't eat it by the end of the day it went in the bin. Rinse and repeat until she didn't eat for a day or two and then she would eat anything.

Once they get hungry enough they stop being fussy. you just have to put up with the meowing and show them you are boss.

3. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

The problem I have is that he is already quite skinny for his age, and he meows at you constantly until he gets what he wants. If I don't feed him, he won't let me sleep. If I close the bedroom door, he scratches at it. If I ignore the scratching, he starts destroying plants around the house.

He won't let me wean him off by mixing in small parts of food, and I'm worried about his health if he doesn't eat anything for a day or two.

Our other cat is fine, and appreciates any wet food scraps he gets but will happily eat any of the four kibble we have access to. The second cat is the easiest little guy to live with, while the first cat has turned into a little butthole lol

4. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

I think potentially what was meant is that you feed a bit of dry and a bit of wet at different times of day. Not necesarrily in the same bowl. Just aim to make the transition more gradual. I think this is supposed to be good for their digestion too for any big change in food.

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Appearance isn't necessarily indicative of health. I have one cat who looks emaciated. When I first got her, I worried, took her to the vet, she was checked over and it's just how she looks. She is now about 18 and she still looks skinny and a bit old-looking, but when she gets her inoculation she always gets a clean bill of health. Some cats just have that look. don't worry about it.
    Because you give in and he knows it will work. You have to be tough and teach him that you aren't going to give in. Confine him at night so he can't wreck things and let him cry and carry on until he gets the message. He will learn that carrying on gets him nothing, and he'll just settle down and go to sleep. You might be in for a bit of sleeplessness while he learns that, but he will learn.

There is nothing to worry about. Cats aren't like rabbits, they don't need constant food. In the wild, they'll catch something and stuff themselves, then they might have to wait until they successfully catch their next meal. Nothing will happen to a cat who doesn't eat for a while, you are not jeopardising his health.

Show him who is boss. You're the person, you shouldn't be told what to do by your cat, it should be the other way around.

6. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Nothing will happen to a healthy cat who doesn't eat for a few days. Beyond 2 or 3 days I'd be careful. But yes, they are stubborn little poo heads.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

In my experience, they don't go that long, they'll eat what's on offer when they get hungry, and that's usually the next day. They don't hold out for long, they use their "woe is me" carry on and when you ignore them, they give up.

8. hollysmum

hollysmum Member

how old is he fleetfeather? has he been checked by the vet for any underlying problems that may prevent him from putting on condition?

Pouches are the most expensive way of feeding cats wet food, have you tried using bigger tins or even raw chicken or mince to see if he likes it?

9. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Nearly a year old. Yep, he's just had a good look by a vet about a month ago, and his oral health is much better now; he had some teeth problems that were genetic in orgin, but that has been resolved and has healed up nicely.

We've tried other, cheaper brands of pouches and tins, but he only eats the Purina Felix pouches. We've actually just bought some chunky-looking pet mince from a local market today to see how he enjoys it. It's much cheaper, and may work out nicely. It's kind of daunting to figure out how much mince is the right amount though, since we have no way of knowing the protein or fat content...

10. callan

callan Member

Salai and Satai: an update

Just an update to Sal and Satai, the lilac Burmese and brown Bengal kittens we aquired over Christmas & new year.

The two cats are getting along famously, even though they have diametrically opposite personalities. They sleep and play together, share toys, pats - and occasionally conspire together: it's quite touching.

Satai has now been neutered. The whole matter was free of drama, and he came back the same day as if nothing had happend.:thumbup:

Sal is completely chill, (Lazy, frankly), affectionate and mostly very well behaved. He sleeps on the marital bed with us, and spends the night purring and snoring at our feet. Even though he eats less than Satai he has started to put on weight: enough that we're having to reduce his intake significantly: something we'll keep a close eye on. Here's a shot of the lazy shit.:p
    [​IMG]

Satai on the other hand has two modes: Comatose, and hyper. He can also be spectacularly naughty. Here's a photo of him after he'd just broken the vacuum cleaner, knocked over our internet router and stolen and destroyed a toilet roll from the master bedroom ensuite. He's the pair of shiny eyes on the bed. Salai is beating a hasty retreat behind the bed: you can see him if you look closely - see what I mean about "conspiring together!":Paranoid:

[​IMG]

Repentance was not writ large upon his face... but it's hard to be angry with him: those innocent eyes melt the coldest, stony-est hearts - even mine.

Here he's "Helping" daddy doing his tax in the office.

[​IMG]

Broccoli's concerns, however have not come to pass. Cat-proofing the house against the onslaught is a constant work in progress, but I can say that Satai IS burrowing his way through my jaded, apprehensive shell. Sal just leapt in and made his bed there without so much as by-your-leave:cool:.

Callan

edit: There is something else.
    I really didn't realise quite how much it hurt, or how much I'd lost when Flipper passed last year until these guys came along.
    I was concerned at the time that it was "too soon" - and I think it was. It made me all the more aware of just what we had with the old girl, and how much we'd lost.

The love of an old animal who had been a part of your life for so long(20+ years) is a big thing to lose, and we should have waited longer.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  11. broccoli

broccoli Member

I think it also leaves more of a void when it's an only animal. When there are others, everything doesn't just stop in the same way. Someone's missing, but there's an air of continuity. Losing my first cat led me to the menagerie I have now, I think.

You'll have noticed a big difference from getting young ones. If you'd adopted another "oldie" it wouldn't have been so different for you.

They are beautiful looking cats. (shame about the personalities. Joke. :lol: that's what I tell my pets)

12. callan

callan Member

I think you're right on all fronts there, Broccoli.
    To cap it all off my stepdaughter lost her Siamese - Timmo - after 18 years. He'd been a part of her life since she first moved out from home. She's bereft, poor lass. She's had a really shitful time with life recently with one thing and another. This was just the icing on the cake.

In other matters: I reckon these two, completely opposite personality cats have become extraordinarily close.
    Cue dodgy video:

Callan

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm sorry :(

14. bitmonster

bitmonster New Member

I have a rescue cat, we love her to bits... she's my best friend... sleeps on my bed at night and waits for me to come home every day... She has little habits which are quite touching where she likes to be close, even if it's just in the same room. I'll be tapping away at the PC for hours and turn around and find she's been there the whole time. Highly intelligent and full of bad attitude.. love it.. She jumps all over me in the morning just to wake me up. She also loves biting and stalking my partner.. Like hiding and then jumping out and biting her leg as she walks past... It's quite funny. Seriously, we love this little cat. Pets add so much to our lives. It's worth investing the time to look after them and develop a bond.

We're responsible cat owners too and don't let her out to roam and hurt wildlife or be hurt. We let her out in the backyard only when we're around. I feel bad about keeping her inside so much however I feel it's the responsible thing to do. At least I know she and the local wildlife are both safe this way.

15. Zee

Zee Member

If only my Bengal was so easily trained.

He chose to eat nothing for 6 days rather than try dry food. e refused to even acknowledge it as edible. Clearly, on the sixth night, he got his big roo steak. Bengal 1, Human 0.

Z...

16. Zee

Zee Member

Sounds like you've found a friend for life! My little black kitty is a rescue, she was abandoned by her owners, so I took her in. The Bengal kinda dominates, but the little black kitty has an awesome personality, and she is so sweet. Everyone who meets her loves her.

Your rescue sounds awesome - now, need pics!

Z...

17. callan

callan Member

Don't sweat it. We have made several rescue/outdoor cats indoor only, and in every case they have been happier. You are being more humane, responsible and caring by keeping them indoors.

Callan

18. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

5 and a half years later.

Grown up but still monsters now.

I am glad I bought such a big mou.....cat pad?

[​IMG]

19. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Don't feel bad for having them indoor only. All our flotilla are either pound/rescue/strays and aren't allowed outside. The local tom we now have was really worked up at first and was pacing around looking for an escape for a week but he's fallen into the trap of domestic bliss and is super chill and nosey for affection (and food... always food).

20. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Its that time of year again when my furry overlord is feeling the call of the wild.
    He's been snipped for years but I think had enough testosterone beforehand that he gets the urges to go finding/fighting other cats.

So, tired of the yowling at the front door, we've been heading down to the beach for walks to burn off some of the aggro.

[​IMG]

Check out the puffed tail. We spotted some feral cats in the dunes last week and all he wanted to do was kill them. I got bitten for my trouble. Little shit.