Got a cat? Post it here!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by AngelMoo, Nov 9, 2006.

Tags:
  1. afcca

afcca Member

Shadow gets Fuzzycat from me and Fatcat from my dad, both of which she comes to if called... Strange aminal.

2. mareke

mareke Member

Took my cat to the vet yesterday to be vaccinated with Fel-O-Vax 5 that protects against feline enteritis, feline calicivirus, feline herpesvirus, chlamydia & feline leukaemia. Probably unnecessary since cats get these mainly from other cats and my cat is an indoors cat that doesn't come into contact with other cats but the vet recommended it. The last time my cat had been vaccinated was 12 years ago before I picked him up as a 3 month old kitten from the Animal Welfare League. I didn't know that these conditions existed until my cat recently got cat flu (I'm guessing he had a mild version of calicivirus). The vaccine won't stop my cat getting the flu again but according to what I read vaccinated cats tend to suffer milder symptoms if they have been vaccinated. After the injection my cat became drowsy and wouldn't eat and he still hasn't shown signs of being hungry this morning. This apparently is fairly normal. He's perked up though and looks to be getting back to normal.

The vet wants me to collect urine from the cat by removing the normal pellets in his litter tray and dropping a small number of pieces of plastic into the tray. Then when the cat urinates I'm supposed to use a syringe to collect it. The purpose of the urine analysis is to test his kidney function. If his kidneys were stuffed then presumably they wouldn't be able to do much anyway. He's healthy so his kidneys would be fine. It's probably just an excuse to make money from tests. I'm not convinced that it's worth doing or whether my cat will urinate into a tray with a few bits of plastic in the bottom of it! Has anyone else collected urine from their cat by using this method?

3. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

Cat 1: Frank - Gets called Frank (when he's in trouble) or Franklin/Frankie when he's being a good boy

Cat 2: Pippen - Gets called Pippen or Pips

Cat 3: Charlie - Gets called Charlie

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  4. broccoli

broccoli Member

I may have done with my first cat, using an empty tray. Any time it's been necessary more recently, I've just sent him/her to the vet's and they take care of it. Partly because I've got a menagerie and confining someone alone to know for sure it's theirs can be a problem.

In your case, I'd certainly give it a go. With one cat, it shouldn't be too difficult. She shouldn't just reject her tray because the litter isn't in it.

5. mareke

mareke Member

I'll give it a go. It's a pain doing it and I'm not convinced it's necessary. A blood test to make sure the cat's medication for his hyperthyroid condition is working properly ought to be enough. The vet was one I hadn't dealt with before and she did some funny things. Poking a thermometer up his bum I understand but smelling inside each of his ears made no sense to me!

6. power

power Member

I had to do this last week.

Buy some "Catrine". It's non-absorbent litter.

I was a little worried as my cats blood sugar was a bit high (he's diabetic), turned out he had a mild UTI but that's all thankfully hopefully once that passes he'll go back to normal.

Don't mess around with the tests. Just get them done. If your urine analysis comes back with high glucose or ketones they'll want him in to do a blood test.

7. mareke

mareke Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Catrine sounds a lot better than the handful of little plastic cylinders I was given. I'll see if Pet Barn sells it and use that instead.

8. power

power Member

I would assume they actually gave you a handful of something like Catrine - it's $17 for a little bag. It actually comes with a handy syringe which is nice - but yeah, one use and also it's cheaper than booking into the vet and having them do it for you.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  9. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yeast (and other) infections smell.

I agree with Power, just do the recommended tests. The vet sounds thorough in looking after your puss.

10. mareke

mareke Member

I was given probably around 50 empty plastic cylinders about 4 cm long and 3mm in diameter to spread on the bottom of the litter tray. Expecting the cat to piss onto those seemed unnatural to say the least especially as I use a large plastic storage box as a litter tray which is enclosed in a plastic dog kennel to minimise dust. The cat goes into the dog kennel jumps into the storage box and does his business after parting the litter.

11. power

power Member

We have an indoor cat so it's easier to convince him.

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

Anyone want some cats? :D

So, they start going "dinner! dinner!". They usually think it's dinner time before I do but when I looked at the clock, thinking it'd be about 4 or something, it was half past two! They've been carrying on since then. Sheez. Enough already.

13. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Squirrel (Boof/Boofaloof/Buddy/Buddy Cat/Cheeks/Dr.Cheeks/Dr.Buddy Cheeks) had to be dropped off to the vet this morning to have surgery to attempt to sort out his entropion. We've tried all manner of stuff to sort it but it's just here to stay so they need to remove some skin under his eyes to make it more taught so the eyelid can't roll in. Given his FIV we need to do something to avoid any infections or issues.

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thinking of you, Squirrel.

15. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Surgery went fine and he's waking up. I've got to call in about 20 minutes for a checkup and hopefully should pick him up on the way home.

God I hope they didn't have to shave his cheek fluffs.

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

If they did, they'll grow back and he'll soon be back to normal (but without all the eye trouble)

17. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Squirrel is fine. Mew is a bit raspy but that'd be due to the tube. Cheek fluffs are all good.

18. encode

encode Member

Hooray for cheek fluffs!

Good to hear he's doing well.

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yay, squirrel! Work on the olds to get something special for dinner. Trust me, it'll work. ;)

20. callan

callan Member

Poor Satai: we're very worried...

Satai is our beautiful boy Bengal. He's the one on the left - and he's very ill.

[​IMG]

It seems a couple of weeks ago, during some of his athletic gyrations he has injured his back. Badly.

It wasn't that serious at first: just a slightly different gait but being the worry-warts we are we took him up to the vets and had him Xrayed. We had some concerns he might have dysplasia: it shows up first at about his age(just under a year). None was detected, and it otherwise looked normal.
    Over the next week though his condition deteriorated badly, and now two weeks later he cannot jump and can barely walk: he arches is back and half staggers, half drags his forwards-pointing back legs when he walks. He seems happy enough in himself, (and is currently giving himself the mother of all washes on my lap) and is not in pain unless moved in a particular way, but it's tearing us up.
    Yes of course we are in close contact with the vet - he's on anti-inflammatories etc. but it's heartbreaking to see this bouncy, cheeky sweet boy dragging himself around, unable to play.

More tests next week..

:upset::upset:

Callan