Got a cat? Post it here!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by AngelMoo, Nov 9, 2006.

1. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Would not put my cat through that. Never.
    Nothing but cat torture.

2. shredder

shredder Member

What are you talking about?

3. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Why is it okay for the cat to hallucinate, drool, act more aggressive, or act like a drunken fool?
    When a cat eats catnip, it acts as a sedative, but when smelled, it causes the cat to go crazy.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

but it doesn't, it's just that some cats like the smell of it and like to roll about in it. It doesn't hurt them. If it was harmful, the RSPCA wouldn't be telling you you can use it as a treat, and they wouldn't sell the toys.

5. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

OK. I wasn't sure whether it was harmful or not. Thanks.

6. callan

callan Member

Soon after he came into our lives, Satai initiated and taught us to play fetch with him. No, we didn't teach him - he taught us!...

Finally threw a camera on a tripod and recorded it: I've never seen any other cat do this, and it's clear he absolutely adores the game..

Callan

the_fuzz, Sledge, Eclipsor and 4 others like this.
  7. broccoli

broccoli Member

He's so clever, notice how he almost ran when you pretended to throw it. A dog would have run and then spent time looking, he just knew it was pretend.

8. cevad

cevad Member

That's so awesome, how long will he do that for before stopping? He clearly seems very keen to keep going as long as you will let him lol

9. callan

callan Member

Oh yes... Pester power is strong with this one. He is a startlingly intelligent boy.

It is worth mentioning that a year ago he was paralysed due to an awful rare genetic disorder, and it was only through excellent veterinary care (and many $$) that he has made such a complete recovery.

We are blessed.

Callan

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  10. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

That's awesome hehe. Zeb used to play fetch when he was young too. But he wasn't as good at it as that. It's so great that he's made such a good recovery too.

11. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

I found an old video of Zeb playing his version of fetch.

Top_cat2 likes this.
  12. power

power Member

didn't expect the results there, lol.

Eclipsor likes this.
  13. callan

callan Member

That's so sweet. :) :) Zeb obviously dotes on the attention!!

Satai occasionally puts a toy mouse in the water bowl, too - I don't know why.

Callan

Eclipsor likes this.
  14. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

All these videos reminds me of this. Who knows what our cats are thinking....

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

Has anyone toilet (as in people toilet) trained their cat? My new cat is only young, she might be able to learn it, if it's not that difficult to get them to do it.

16. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

We spent a significant amount of time and effort attempting this a few years ago. We bought the Litter Kwitter kit and attempted to follow all their advice and others we found around the place. We started by building a fake toilet using a storage box with litter in it and a toilet seat installed in the lid. We had some success, but ultimately gave up after probably 2 or 3 months of effort. A few notes from our experiences:
    - We only had one toilet in the house and it was in its own room with not a lot of room around it. This made it hard. No visitors over during this time haha.
    - Having more than one cat trying to learn at once is hard. They need to learn at the same time otherwise they will both take the "easy" way out and use the standard tray. This was what ruined it for us in the end. I suspect Jumar would have got there, but Zeb ruined it for everyone haha. Jumar even did go into the toilet once or twice. The problem with Zeb is that he was never great at sitting his bum down to pee which is why we always needed high sided boxes with him. So he would try and go into the practice hole, but would pretty much just end up peeing all over the toilet room. We pretty much had the entire area covered in puppy training pads to try and limit the damage. Pretty traumatic for everyone involved really.

So yeah, I think it really varies on your house and the individual cat, but we definitely saw positive signs with one of ours.

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks. Well, my new cat has expressed "an interest" in the toilet, which is why I thought about it. I wouldn't try to get my older cat to learn it, just the little one. I wonder whether she has sufficient attention span to learn it. She's a bit flighty.

18. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

My cats use the toilet.... as a water bowl! Gotta love those early morning face shoves.

cevad and Eclipsor like this.
  19. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

14543751_10154036341970749_8077632457956240727_o.jpg
    Memory from 2 years ago lol.

42423651_10156069818970749_1380588847565373440_o.jpg

I've never noticed that she has a tattoo in her ear. Must have been done when she was spayed. I've had her for 8 years lol.

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

my cranky cat lets the new cat near her without hissing. Yay!

Sledge, Eclipsor and shredder like this.