Got a cat? Post it here!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by AngelMoo, Nov 9, 2006.

Tags:
  1. power

power Member

i'd probably go a scratching post nearby, as far as the screen goes. Our two have a nasty habit of running up the screens which our boy never did.

I have replaced one screen with this stuff https://www.bunnings.com.au/cyclone-910mm-x-2-05m-petmesh-insect-screen_p4110420 I can tell you straight up it's frickin' amazing. It really is pet proof.

Eclipsor likes this.
  2. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Getting grossly specific, but are the poops that are outside the tray more runny/super hard compared to ones he gets in the tray? Not using trays can also be a pain/discomfort thing. If they are super runny he might be getting some diarrhea causing him discomfort and associating the litter box with pain. When we have tried Jumar on food that doesn't agree with him he will avoid going to the toilet and walk around the house howling until we put him in the litter ourselves. Sure enough this is usually matched with the most foul smelling runny shits ever! When things are running smoothly his poops barely smell at all.

Is the litter clean enough? Since it is only occasionally outside the box maybe it is times when the tray is getting full of other business?

+1 on pet mesh. Ours annihilated a screen door with the standard stuff. This stuff was fine.

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

Poor Fiona's done that, but it's not her fault, the bloody dogs chased her. :(

4. power

power Member

yeah the kittens get excited chasing each other.

5. hollysmum

hollysmum Member

broccoli, try putting tin foil on the fly screen, apparently cats dont like the feel under their paws so wont scratch

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

hmmm, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to figure out how to attach it and whether I want to stop the poor little thing looking outside. I'm still wondering whether to keep her indoors or let her go out. I let her out the other day (the day the dogs chased her up the door) but spent most of the time worrying about her.... sigh. If she goes out, she'll probably get her scratching out of her system by using the trees.

7. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

he's not pooping standing up (only on his back feet)? our only poop in one litter box that has a large open top coz they squat and end up only on their back feet with there feet on the walls of the box, other tray only cops pee (smaller box)

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

I just need to vent. I didn't see my cat around last night. Sometimes she goes back outside after tea. I called for her. No sign. Middle of the night, big storm. Oh, worries I, I hope she's not out there (there's a patio and cover, she wouldn't have been out where she'd get rained on).... Call for her. Worry.
    Wake up late (awake in the middle of the night). No sign. Doesn't come for her breakfast. Oh no, worries I, she's dead in a ditch. Where can she be?
    Twenty to eleven, she strolls out of the spare room...
    Bloody hell. She was just having a lie-in.
    aarghhh

Eclipsor likes this.
  9. shredder

shredder Member

You need a bag of treats to shake. Usually brings them running, once they know what it is. It's our go-to for that sort of situation.

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

She's not a "comes running" type. She's an "I am the ruler of the world, nobody else matters" type :D
    Because I slept late and the dogs hadn't cleared her bowl, she probably got up by herself, had some brekkie and went back for more zzzzzzs. It was just because I hadn't seen her that I worried. Normally, she has to ask me to replenish her bikkies because the dogs help themselves.

11. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Has anyone bought an Exercise Wheel for their cat/kitties, and did they actually use it?

As my Turkish Angora is an inside cat, I'm thinking she might like one come the cooler months.

12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

She keeps getting cuter and cuter >_<

Attached Files:

broccoli likes this.
  13. sanjay

sanjay Member

she looks exactly like sawyer!

[​IMG]

I am officially calling him a Turkish Angora now. :D

he's still pooping next to the tray...we're going to try wood litter next week when we finally run out of our last bag of paper litter.

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

Try him with an XL/jumbo tray. The sides are higher, it should be harder for him to perch and get his bum over the end. Also bigger area, he should be able to go inside. He's only little so it might help.

15. sanjay

sanjay Member

yeah at this stage im thinking of getting one of those under-bed plastic bucket storage things and filling it with litter. problem is that it'll take up almost all the floor space in the second floor toilet...

16. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Yeah, we've been using storage box's for litter for years. Cheaper, and much bigger range of size options. If you get high sides at least you might know then if he's been perching and going over the edge or simply setting up next to it.

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'd go for the jumbo with the high sides, better plastic and still easy to clean (how would you manoevre the big one to empty the litter for cleaning?).
    He's adorable, BTW, and so is burning feet man's girl. so cute.

18. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

He appears to have identical characteristics to Tinkerbelle. From my searching about on google, I had also settled on her being a Turkish Angora too, although she's a billion times cuter than most of the ones I've seen online so suspect she's not pure.

Not a day goes by where we don't have an entire conversation, or if she's not flipping upside down then she's a flopping right upside.

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

Here's Fiona Fifi_076.JPG

Sledge, hollysmum and Eclipsor like this.
  20. callan

callan Member

I've gotta say: There is something very special about the love of a cat.
    Living with one is a privilege and when you earn the love of a cat it is consummately rewarding. You have to earn it with a cat: there are no shortcuts. So when a cat displays it's absolute faith with you, displays it's affection, love and confidence for you it is a humbling experience, and not one to be taken lightly. You're never an "owner" with a cat - only their custodian/parent. Cats are independent creatures independent as in capable of attaching to, or NOT attaching to a particular person.

Our current furbabies Ching (formerly Salai) and Satai both display this faith, and a love for their "owners" that is truly humbling, and highly rewarding. I can truly say that a home without a cat is just a house...

Callan

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 10:07 AM
    broccoli, hollysmum and Eclipsor like this.