Got a dog? post it here!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Modafroman, Jul 10, 2006.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

Adorable. I love Cavalier King Charles. When my first dog was little, she went to school with a Cavalier King Charles. She was too young to do anything, but her classmate was also that young, and he could already do everything :( Clever dick.

Bombster likes this.
  2. Bombster

Bombster Member

Charlie is our 3rd Cavalier. We lost our Lucy January 2017 whilst we were away on holidays which devastated the kids. Made the holiday a little less enjoyable even though we tried. Finally thought the time was right for another one and a litter happened to pop up at that time as well.

3. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

Wesley got his summer cut.

Before (I do prefer)
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Bombster likes this.
  4. broccoli

broccoli Member

me too - he's lost all of his curls :( My cousin used to have mini poodles (one after the other, not all together). They had the all over clip, kept long. nickname was woolly.

My grotty dog needs a haircut. I took her to a salon last time (I haven't been up to much since I got out of hospital), but they are all booked up until after christmas so I'll have to do it myself. My other little dog is short-haired, he's just wash-and-wear :D my grotty dog just gets dirty straight away after she's had her hair washed. she's just a grot. I'm going to draw her picture and I'm not going to draw her white, I'm going to draw her her natural colour - grey. :D

5. Sledge

Sledge Member

I'm trying to get shelby to like the swimming pool.. been taking her in the last 3 days seeing as though it's hot..
    but all she really wants to do is get back out..
    at least we know that she can actually swim though...
    trying to make it as fun as possible

6. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Try a beach or local dog friendly river first.

7. Sledge

Sledge Member

yep close to the river so will do that soon too ;)

ruffdayz likes this.
  8. broccoli

broccoli Member

My previous 2 dogs, one would go in the water at the beach without drama, the other would be nervous about coming in (but of course this was the beach and there was the swell and she was only little so it's understandable). She wanted to come to me and then I'd go and get her and lift her over the break, plop her in and she'd swim back to shore. If you've got the interest in coming to you, work on that. If he can overcome the reluctance to to in so that he can get the "prize" of swimming with you, he might be Michael Phelps in no time. Otherwise, you can have fun with just short swims and then out. You have to do what the dog likes. My little dog liked it better on shore than in the water, but she still liked going to the beach. Your dog doesn't have the scariness of being little so he might be able to overcome his reluctance to go in.

9. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yes... she gets an ear full of water...
    And video gets a little jittery for some reason

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    ruffdayz likes this.
  10. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

How cute!!!

Interesting watching her swim compared to my show bred (Canadian) Labrador. She (our girl) has an otter tail and will actually use that like a rudder to change direction in the water. Tis actually pretty cool/smart.

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

My little dog (RIP) used to do that thing where she'd start swimming up in the air, before you'd even put her into the water, and afterwards as well. It was hilarious, those little legs going.

I think Shelby will get used to it and end up liking it.

Sledge and ruffdayz like this.
  12. Sledge

Sledge Member

I think we may have a problem with Shelby
    She may be getting too dependent on us, as when we got out we lock her up in 'her' room, but now shes starting to try to get back into the house, which includes trying to eat through a security door.
    last night we came home from work to find blood all over her room like some slasher movie... i think from her cracked claw, maybe from trying to dig through the little cracks in the door jam etc (there's lots paint flakes too)
    Have to work out how to keep her from doing all that... (last night after we got home i tried putting the ironing board laying on it's side in front of the door because she doesn't like it)

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

Does she go in there when you're at home? You need to get her used to it as "her spot", not just a place where she gets confined and left alone. How old is Shelby? How long is she left alone, and what does she have to do while she's waiting for you to come home?

14. Sledge

Sledge Member

nah when we're home she's either with us or in the lounge room..
    she's just over a year old, and usually she be in the four maybe 5-7 hours max when we have a shift.. usually only 5 though..
    she's got a few toys in there with her, a Kong and rope etc..

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

ok, that's the first thing you need to change. Look up how to crate train, and use the same techniques to teach her how to love 'her room'.

DangerMaus and Sledge like this.
  16. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Walk and fetch till she's knackered before she gets left alone, might not last 5-7 but it should help reduce energetic anxiety. If you teach a proper fetch technique you can tire most dogs in a short time given the right amount of space. I've got a border collie pup so I've taken to playing fetch with her while I have my morning coffee, even that 5-10 mins is enough to prevent a lot of unwanted behaviour.

Checkout Zak George on YT, I've found him to be good.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  17. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Little Sophie decided to roll over in something... Unpleasant today, which called for a bath. This is her post bath (about 30 minutes later).

[​IMG]

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

So THAT's what a naughty girl looks like? :D

19. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nope. It's what the goodest of girls looks like!

20. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I have a border collie pup who is currently about 4.5 months old. I looked for a long time after my last dog died and got rejected by a lot of breeders because my application essay wasn't up to scatch (I shit you not). Some of them were asking 5-8k for a dna screened pup sight unseen.

She loves water. Sticks her head in the water bowl, blows bubbles, tries to drink via her front feet. She also likes to apply a daily mud pack as seen in the pic. She spent over an hour chasing butterflies last week, was almost impossible to break her attention.
    Ylfa6weeks.jpg
    ~6weeks old
    Mudmask.jpg
    She applies the mud mask daily. Makes it hard to keep the zinc/sunscreen applied cause of her pink skin.
    awww.jpg
    Making friends

She is worryingly smart and requires variation in treats and stimulus to keep her interested. It's also incredibly hard to break her focus sometimes. As I mentioned she chased butterflies but she also sat and watched a baby magpie for well over an hour without moving or being distracted by commands and treats which seemed to be a very long attention span for a pup.

She seemed to know where the chooks belonged without being trained, she herds them into a small fenced area but doesn't follow them further.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    broccoli likes this.