Got a dog? post it here!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Modafroman, Jul 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. broccoli

broccoli Member

ohhhh boy. You've only had her a few days, and she's already got you wrapped around her little finger :D
    (is she sleeping on your bed yet? :D)

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

...maybe. Lol

She’s just too gorgeous!

Been doing some training with her though. Knows sit/stay etc. I’m able to step out the front door with it open, and she’ll happily sit there.

3. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I did puppy school and 1 on 1 training. I've also been following Zack George on YT at the trainer's suggestion. Fetch is essential for an energetic dog like mine but I think it's good for any breed, even if you're only throwing the toy a few meters with a shitzu.

I'm renovating a house and they've built a dog park nearby so she's getting site dog training and socialization at lunch as well ;).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    broccoli and Madengineer like this.
  4. broccoli

broccoli Member

Oh
    no, he says, my dog won't be allowed on my bed. :D Famous last words. :D

(if you are going to let her sit on your chair in the photo, put her rug down. Her fingernails will scratch up the surface.)

Madengineer likes this.
  5. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nah don't care about the chair. lol

But yeah. She's smelly much better, now, so don't mind where she sleeps :D

6. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So my little monster has recently taken to chewing things...

Found a cable (HDMI cable) that she'd chewed through behind the TV unit. Anybody got some ideas? (other than just putting it out of reach?)

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

She's a baby, and babies like to chew. You need to teach her that she's got her things that she may chew and your things which she has to leave alone. Get her a lot of chewing things and reward her when she uses them. If she goes for anything of yours, she gets the 'uh-uh, no!" and give her her rawhide chew instead, then praise her when she starts on that.
    You will need to keep a close eye on her. Don't let her into rooms where she can get into your stuff, until she's learnt not to wreck your stuff. Use cable trunking for the cables so she can't get to them (it's lucky it was only an hdmi, and not a power cable) and don't give her freedom to go where you don't know what she's up to until you can trust that she's not up to no good.

You can also get bitter spray to put on things that she might have a go at, but there's no alternative to training for long-term behaviour modification.

8. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah, she's got plenty of chew toys (including a couple of different kongs) and raw hide chews. She happily chews the raw hide, but every now and then I'll find her chewing on something she isn't meant to... I just don't get it. She's paying no attention to her own chew toys (other than when I'm actually playing with them with her). We do quite a bit of play. Finally got her down pat on her fetch! Lasted for quite a while today!

But no interest in her damn toys! lol

Also, I've noticed she's eating grass? From what I remember that usually meant a dog was feeling unwell?
    [​IMG]

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

She has NO CLUE that all stuff isn't for her chewing enjoyment. You have to teach her that there's a difference and that she is only allowed to chomp on her own stuff. It takes time and effort.

10. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah. Just thrown a little, as it's a recent occurrence.

Oh well. Time will tell!

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

There'll be more "occurrences", the answer is training. Do you have classes you can take her to?

12. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah. Don't start until end of Jan.

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

The good thing about dog club is not only learning how to train your dog, and training your dog, but it tuckers them right out for the rest of the day :D Lots of peace and quiet when they're tuckered out.

14. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

What kind of lapdog gets tired for an entire day after one training/play session!?

15. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

A 9 month old Jack Russell puppy? :D

I played with her for about 30 minutes this morning (fetch etc) at about 9am and she's currently passed out on the couch. haha

16. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

So she'll remain passed out on the couch the entire day from a 30min play session?

17. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Something like that. lol

We'll go back out at around 7:30/8 and do it again. :)

18. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

So your dog is only just waking up from the morning play session at 7:30pm and it's a puppy... SUUURE.

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, little dogs. A big, energetic breed might go longer/all day, I don't know about them.

They'd have a nice lie down and sleep afterwards. They'd be awake and all after that, they just wouldn't be all leapy and hyperactive and full of beans. It's a full hour of concentration and doing the lesson, and however long beforehand of bum-sniffing and saying hello to other dogs. It tuckers them out. There's thinking involved, it isn't like a walk where they just wander about weeing and sniffing other wee.
    Puppies are like little kids. 2 speeds - full throttle and knocked out.

20. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I've had plenty of little dogs and none of them were satisfied for an entire day by a single play session. They still get hyper, they still get the zoomies and they still get bored, especially when they're puppies. You really shouldn't attempt to train a dog continuously for an hour if that is what you're suggesting is happening at the lesson. Dozens of 2-3min sessions over the day will accomplish far more and be better for the dog than a long session once a day. About the only exception would be leash training while actually walking or fetch training.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018