Got a dog? post it here!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Modafroman, Jul 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'd take him for another check-up. We know when our pets "aren't right", even when there's nothing obvious leaping out as wrong. I had my cat diagnosed with his thyroid problem just by knowing he "wasn't right". His physical signs weren't glaringly obvious at that stage, but I could tell he was "different".

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

5 vets within 200kms of me, and none of them have an available emergency vet! Sophie ate some medication at some point today (Travelcalm).

She's vomited. A lot. Projectile type. She was salivating a lot as well (or maybe it was just residual vomit). A vet won't be out for another hour at the least, as they're all already on call. They've assured me it won't kill her, but she's so sad and it's killing me :(

She somehow found her way into my travel bag which I hadn't unpacked from camp yet :(

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's awful when they're sick, but they've told you she'll be fine, so that's good. Poor baby :(

4. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yep. Just got home from the vet. They gave her an underskin IV shot (basically like a ball of fluid pumped directly under the skin to slowly work its way into her system) to help stave off dehydration.

We discussed an anti vomit shot, but that can cause her to vomit more due to a pain reflex (apparently it hurts a lot?). Right now she's off all fluids and food, and is passed out on the floor (after puking on the couch earlier and won't go back to it).

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Hopefully, she'll recover overnight and be back to her normal self tomorrow.

6. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yep! So far she's been zonked out on the floor.

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

So took the dog to the vet last night and had him checked out. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him. He did admit that he seems a bit lethargic (when he was on the examination table he just basically lied there, normally he would be quite anxious) and suggested we change his diet (So he's on chicken and rice for a while), but apart from running every test he could think of, he suggested we just monitor him

8. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So she’s all back to normal. Happy. Jumping around. Could eat a horse.

broccoli and kooksyau like this.
  9. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, keep an eye on him. Maybe he's still getting over the lurgy? Keep an eye on how often he's pooing and weeing and check out his poo to see if it looks the same. I hope he perks back up. :(

10. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

How old is he?

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

He's just under 10 (think he's 10 next month)

12. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Ahh well he'll be slowing up a little anyway at that age, and sleeping more. Our girl is 8 and she naps thoughout the day.

13. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Couldn't resist :)

[​IMG]

firey4059 and ruffdayz like this.
  14. broccoli

broccoli Member

Sophie is just SO CUTE. She's just adorable. She looks so happy that she's landed with you.

Madengineer likes this.
  15. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yep! I was away all weekend, and it was great to come home Sunday. She was so happy! :)

16. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So Sophie has developed a love of standing out in the rain, and wanting to go out when it's raining. This is a problem. Because, well. Wet dog.

Which then results in a bath. Which she still hates. So so much.

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

Get her a driza-bone. Does she smell? If not, just let her dry off, she doesn't need a bath after.

18. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

She smells. lol

Hasn't had a bath in a couple of weeks. She was getting a bath today anyway. lol

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

Does she get good bribes to have her bath? She might learn to like it if she's motivated to.

Madengineer likes this.
  20. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah afterwards I usually give her some treats

She's also taken to growling at things on the TV... May not help that I'm currently watching Mcleods Daughters and she sees cattle and dogs on there all the time :D