Got a Rabbit? Post it Here!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by syahrr01, Jul 25, 2017.

1. syahrr01

syahrr01 Member

Shamelessly stolen from a thread that was shamelessly stole from another thread. Let's start a thread for rabbit aficionados.

Our Rabbits
    After years of deliberating and arguing, we finally decided to adopt a couple of rabbits. My wife was against the idea the whole time and vowed to take no part in the cleaning / care / feed. (She woke up before sunrise this morning to talk and feed the rabbits :p)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Meet Fluffy and Licorice. Both female, bonded/friends, around 7 mo. They're mix breed, surrendered to the RSPCA when they were around 5 months old. We picked them because they were the friendliest pair in the rescue at that time. Their body language was positive. I observed them greeting and saying hello to everyone that walks into their pen.

I built their hutch from a kitchen buffet/hutch we had lying around from another project. Mesh wire replaces the glazing. Shelves placed at offset for them to climb. But the plan was to raise them as indoor bunnies with full access to the house. So their hutch is really for toilet/sleeping and their safe place when we have guests around.
    [​IMG]

2 days in, I expected a pair of timid rabbits will need a little space to adjust and come out from their shell. Instead we had heaps of binkies, rabbit 500 races, cuddles and licks and heaps of mischief. Licorice is checking my grammar as I type this, and Fluffy is well acquainted with being told "No!".Each have selected their fav sofa in the house.
    [​IMG]

Current things to work on
    1. Fluffy have decided that the rear of my hifi rack is her favorite hiding hole. I'll need to figure out a barrier.
    2. Licorice is scared to walk down stairs/steps. She climbs with no issue. Will need to train her with lots of treats.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Bunnies would suit our family, but they are banned in QLD (even if spayed) with heavy fines. :(

3. afcca

afcca Member

When I bought my car in VIC we stopped at about 20 pet shops on the way back to visit the bunnies... I want one ;_; I have way more stuffed rabbits than a normal adult should have because of the ban.

4. yippy

yippy Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    immashoesaddict likes this.
  5. josh_676

josh_676 Member

What a great thread.

6. OP
    OP
    syahrr01

syahrr01 Member

I was thinking about the posts in this thread and how fortunate we are in VIC having allowed to keep rabbit as companions. Just then Licorice decided to jump up to the sofa, climbed into my lap, asked for pat, licked me and proceeded to pee. Twice. The second time after I changed clothes, tell her off and cleaned the initial mess. Much to the amusement of my wife and son.

This is after 36 hours of spotless toilet manners around the house. I suspect I'm being marked as her property. She have been desexed.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

Well, Fluffy looks like my Lewis and Yippy's bun looks like my William. I also have a giant, and a lop-ear.

8. OP
    OP
    syahrr01

syahrr01 Member

Well Licorice have figured out how to go down stairs now which is good. A week in, both of them would climb me on the sofa just to lick me on the face/head. Very good sign. Each grooming behaviour can last for a few minutes.

They don't seem to enjoy pats too much. They'll sit still for a pat for a minute, but then starts moving again. My previous rabbits would almost fall asleep during long patting sessions.

Fluffy's toilet manners have been perfect. However, there's been 3 occasions now where Licorice deliberately climbed into our lap just to poo and pee. :sick: She's done this to both myself and my wife now. Not sure if it's still just temporary/marking behaviour as both are toilet trained.

Netherlands Dwarf are so cute. They have a reputation of being a little nippy and less tolerance to patting/cuddling. Did you had any attitude issues with yours?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  9. yippy

yippy Member

No real issues with mine, he loves sitting on my lap for some cheek rubs. If I stop, he starts licking my arm to get me to start again.

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

Well, my two are a bit "cranky" compared to my other buns, but it's not a representative sample, and they aren't handled a lot to make them like it more. If they want to be let be, I let them be.

11. yippy

yippy Member

Mine gets cranky if I ignore him, he'll stomp his feet and grunt at me until I give him attention :lol:

12. yippy

yippy Member

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

arrrrr! very scary. :D

14. yippy

yippy Member

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

He looks like Donald Trump... :D

16. yippy

yippy Member

That was the look I was going for :D he kept on shaking the rug off.

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't blame him. He looks so like my William....

18. yippy

yippy Member

Does he have the coke nose too?

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

No, he's a good boy. :D He's probably smaller than your boy, he's tiny. I must try to get him to pose for a photo.

20. immashoesaddict

immashoesaddict Member

My kidlets;

11248075_10152874827648583_6382631212925800835_n.jpg

20181112_222407.jpg

20181112_222548.jpg