GP2X handheld. anyone gettin it ?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Quan-Time, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

http://www.gbax.com/indexgp2x.html

Basically its a linux opensource handheld with 2x 400mhz processors.

Mame roms will work on it outta the box, and MANY other things will be ported quite fast.. one of the things in the works now is GBA roms aswell as a rumor of a PS1 emu (prolly be fairly limited but never know) also dreamcast roms are speculated..

Only problem i can see about it is no HDD at all, runs on SD sticks.. But who doesnt have a 1gig SD stick nower days in a camera anyway. You can get 4gig SD if you really want aswell.

Mate is getting one, and im REALLY interested soon as i see his.. Cost him $266 delivered.. i think you cant really beat it... any thoughts on it ?

2. ForticuS

ForticuS Member

and you forgot possibley the biggest drawcard imho, TV Out

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I am busting to get one. I've looked at all the current generation of portable consoles, and they all stink.

People spend hundreds of dollars hacking/modding them into customisable machines, and I don't get it. Why hack a $400 PSP to be semi-useful when you can get a GPX2 for substantially less and have a completely homebrew-driven system?

Plus, portable MAME really gets me excited. Having all my favourite fighters and shooters that I can take anywhere would rock. My only question is how performance will go with newer titles.

Err... not quite:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPX2#Specifications

There's a 200MHz ARM920T which is the central processor that does most of the grunt work for general computing.

Then there's a 200MHz ARM940T which does all the video processing. From what I understand, drivers have been written that take great advantage of this when using things like SDL to drive visual applications, including codec offloading for DivX/XVid/MPEG4, etc.

The original GP32X had a single 133MHz processor that did everything. Now there's 2x200MHz units, one of which is dedicated to graphics, which means this should be a multimedia beast.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  4. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

Do it will play DivX fine? I'm interested. Could be handy. Especially if they get some decent roms working on it. And the price is great so yeah I'm interested for sure.

5. elvis

I'm fairly certain it's good to go for DivX, XViD and WMV8 up to 720 pixels wide at full framerate decoding according to the developers. Double check via google and their website to confirm.

Absolutely no word yet on MAME benchmarks. If I get one of these, I'll be benching it to death. :)

6. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

Yeah I will wait for some OCAUers to get them and try them out first. Would be pretty handy on the train though if it plays divx as well as roms and software is pretty much free. On the plus side I'd assume you can run all kinds of apps on it as well like personal organiser stuff which I really like the sounds off (can finally put my programming skills to use).

7. elvis

In Korea there's a huge commercial side to it, with plenty of companies releasing 3rd party games and utilities for it, which is great. The unit is essentially an open system, so homebrew software, linux ports, and all that sort of stuff are actually ENCOURAGED unlike the big players (Sony, Nintendo, etc).

So technically speaking, anything that supports GNU/Linux on ARM will run on these units. There's no reason why you couldn't have an entire suite of email, PIM, etc all running from this unit with existing software.

It comes loaded with a default install containing a media player (MPlayer with an easy-to-read-on-small-screen frontend), an ARM port of XMAME-SDL, GENS and ZSNES, and a few other useful tools. You can either expand on that, or build your own system from scratch. Finally a console exists where the developers ASK you to hack it, rather than the current restrictions we get placed on us with other modern consoles.

8. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

yeah, thats the big thing I like about it. Its got huge potential.

9. dewy

dewy Member

When I saw this I really wanted one, I am considdering selling my PSP and buying one, since it supports all the emulators etc, looks a little bulky tho :-(

10. nux

nux Member

Can it read say a USB stick directly?

I like that it takes AA's. Where can I buy one?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  11. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

I've been watching this for a while seems like the ultimate home brew console (and its handheld :)). There's a video of a dev kit playing the Fantastic 4 movie and a SNES Mario game (I heard that the port of the SNES emulator to the system took a matter of days :eek: )

$266 is that AUD? Thats seems a pretty good price. Where from?

12. campbell

campbell Member

It looks pretty solid, although since I'd be to self conscious to play a psp in public let alone this thing I won't be buying one.

But still, I think it was a bad move not to include wireless networking. Also a digital d-pad would have been nice for playing older games. It really sucks playing some digital input games on analogue controllers.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  13. dewy

dewy Member

14. elvis

Lik-Sang say that they stock them as of Nov 30.

Also it's worth mentioning that Lik-Sang do give bulk discounts on large orders. Something to think about if there's enough interest. :)

15. technophiliac

technophiliac Member

i wouldn't buy this piece of junk

reference --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gp2x
    ---

Specifications
    CPUs Dual-core: ARM920T (host 200 MHz) + ARM940T (200 MHz)
    Chipset: MMSP2
    NAND Flash ROM: 64 MB
    RAM: SDRAM 64 MB
    Operating System: Linux
    Storage: SD Card (supports SDIO)
    Connection: USB 2.0 High Speed
    Power: 2 x AA battery
    Display: 3.5 in 320×240 TFT LCD
    TV out: yes (with optional cable)
    AC power: 3.3 V
    -----------------------

you won't get far trying to emulate consoles systems such as the SNES and GBA with that processor.

Next, 2xAA batteries is pathetic... where are the rechargeable lithium-ion packs?

you people should wait and read reviews from other buyers... this type of product is one that i think will definitely bring a lot of disappointment... i can smell it...

screen quality would be a big issue with a product like this... who manufactures the LCD screen?.,... will it be high quality? (doubt it)... will it have dead pixels? (most probably)... will you be able to return it if it is defective or lots of dead pixels like you can with those sony psp's? (most probably not )

its cheap... $250AUD.... you get what you pay for...
    being that cheap and poorly equipped it has the word "junk" written all over it... hardware specs totally fail to support all the hype the manufacturer tries to stir up

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  16. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

If you like homebrews and playing divx/xvid movies, then I guess it's good.

Too bad you won't be seeing major companies like Square Enix, Konami, EA etc. developing for this console. No thanks, I'll stick with the PSP or even DS. No wireless just cripples it even more.

17. elvis

Sorry cheif, but it plays ZSNES and VirtualBoyAdvance full speed. Intel XSCALE and ARM processors in palm devices, iPaqs and mobile phones have been at that speed for some time, and get full framerates already.

ARM isn't x86. It isn't even CISC. It's ARM and RISC. Do a little research on what that means, and how you can't compare the MHz of one to the other.

But by all means, don't buy it if you don't want to. Just understand that you are considering not purchasing it for all the wrong reasons. :)

18. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

While I agree you can't compare Mhz between CPUs (even the same line, just look at all the different P4s), the whole x86 vs RISC vs CISC is pretty irelevant today, Intel x86 CPUs haven't been RISC since the PPros. More so, there is much more to the speed of the system than just its CPU instruction set.

The Dev kits are already able to play SNES and DivX/XVid videos at full speed, but it won't be until hackers (real sense of the word :rolleyes: ) get alhold of them before we find out just how powerful/useful the console is.

19. technophiliac

technophiliac Member

^-WRONG

you seem certain it has a GBA emulator and snes emulator capable of running the games as they should but where's the evidence?

you have no evidence and here you are up on your high horse preaching to the world about how it can do this and this...
    ur just being really foolish i reckon

20. elvis

Oh dear... I think I'll stop feeding the troll before it gets angry...

On second thoughts, I can't let this go uncorrected...

Err... that would be the single processor ounger sibling console - the GP32X - running on an ARM 133MHz chip that had a working SNES emulator for the last 2 years. Most software running on this will run at a binary level on the GP2X, and will only get faster with more optimisations for the new graphics co-processor by allowing heavier SDL development.

Yes, you've found out the awful truth. I haven't been following the GP32X scene for the last 18 months at all. I haven't been seeing what emulators have already been ported to ARM/Linux on thousands of other handheld devices including Palm, iPaq and various mobile phones, and I am just talking out of my arse. Add to that the fact that I obviously know nothing about GNU/Linux development on non-x86 platforms (and obviously know nothing outside the x86 world, in fact), and you sir have figured me out.