1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

GPS on a plane

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by invisable, Oct 28, 2006.

1. invisable

invisable Member

i was just wondering if you would legally be able to use a GPS on a plane, and if so would it work?(i was told that a GPS won't work at an airport, i have no idea if this is true)

2. Jaws_au

Jaws_au Member

Of course GPS works at an airport... probably every aircraft you see there has a GPS reciever :)

That said, I think you'll find that using a GPS airborne is prohibited by most carriers... technically operating a piece of equipment at the exact same frequency as a system on the aircraft is a bad idea... in the case of GPS the risk is very low, but I doubt you'd be able to explain that to someone who caught you trying.

Hypothetically speaking of course, if you happen to leave your GPS on in your carry on bag... I doubt anyone would notice.

3. OP
    OP
    invisable

invisable Member

i knew planes used it to navigate but the guy i was speaking to must have been talking shit, if it worked and i was allowed i was hoping to use a GPS receiver and some aussie maps on my laptop to find out where i was and how far i was to my destination, and a suppose as a speedo as well

Ah well

4. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

Don't they usually put this kind of info on the viewing screen in the plane anyway?

5. Jaws_au

Jaws_au Member

Not if it's domestic, depending on the plane you're in... you might see it flash up occasionally on the in-cabin screens.

For the OP, that plan would work fine if you were in a private plane :) But the airlines just aren't willing to take the risk I guess... which is fair enough I suppose, they don't want to have to make sure your particular GPS isn't some super-dodgy thing that blankets out the actual aircraft reciever.

Not that loss of GPS is a safety critical event anyway... alas, I don't make the regulations however :)

6. JaC

JaC Member

GPS doesn't transmit, its a passive system from the user's point of view. You just recieve a bunch of signals an calculate where you are. There's no transmission to interfere with the aircrafts systems, however...

It won't work on an aircraft. You're inside a big aluminium tube, the signal is already weak enough, and there's no way it will get through the fuselage.

You'd need to have an externally mounted antenna, and I don't think that too many airlines are going to allow that.

Oh, and obligatory snakes on a plane reference. how could i forget?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  7. nux

nux Member

Yes, it does work on commercial planes. They don't like you doing it however, we got told to turn it off by the cabin crew :p

We had to jam it up against the window and we couldn't get a full fix, but enough to get speed and other bits of info.

8. OP
    OP
    invisable

invisable Member

so is GPS on a plane illegal?

i want to use my mother f***ing GPS on a mother f***ing plane

9. nux

nux Member

It is not illegal in Australia as far as I'm aware. However, most airlines will probably have a policy or condition that forbids it, and if they see you using it you will probably be told to turn it off or have it taken from you.

10. Zoiks

Zoiks Member

since it is a passive device, wouldnt it be under similar rules as music players and such? Ie. turn off during take off and landing but fine otherwise.

11. dohzer

dohzer Member

So... why do you need the bomb to go of in a specific place?

At least there's no intentional transmissions!

12. Xxian.com

Xxian.com Member

it actually is illegal to use a gps on a plane, even though it does not transmit, it is also illegal to use a scanner on a plane.

Stupid really considering you can have both running from your laptop and they would never know.

13. nux

nux Member

Illegal in Australian law?

14. Xxian.com

Xxian.com Member

from Qantas website:

15. nux

nux Member

Yeah thought they would have a clause like that. It doesn't make it illegal in Australia however, just again Qantas (and probably all other commercial airlines) policies.

16. Xxian.com

Xxian.com Member

I guess you would never really find out if it was law or not untill you try to figt it in court!

I have read in airports that it is 'illegal', same with the scanner thing, but I got away with using my scanner once with an earpiece - we didnt crash or end up at the wrong airport, so I'm guessing it didn't interfere with the nav system too much :leet:

17. Zoiks

Zoiks Member

so you are allowed to use wi-fi systems that do transmit signals but not gps which only recieves. What about Zune, will that be banned?

18. nux

nux Member

Why would the Zune? Does it have inbuilt Wifi or something?

The rules and regulations commercial airlines enforce may be strange and be inconsistent, but I would prefer more things to be banned rather than risk peoples safety.

Sure, using a GPS on a million flights may have no consequences as it is a 'passive' device. But all electronic equipment emit EMI, and just once maybe one GPS device isn't built or designed properly, and emits something near an important wire, and the plane crashes. Why take the risk, just ban it.

19. Zoiks

Zoiks Member

Zune apparently has some sort of built in social networking so people can share songs via zune and keep it for 3 days or something.

In your example that means that all electronic circuits should be banned just in case. Your ipod, digital watch, pacemaker etc. They could all be built dodgily or have a fault that causes them to make a transmission.

20. Xxian.com

Xxian.com Member

he has a point there