GPT Type NVMe M.2 drive; cannot install Windows

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ibace, Feb 5, 2019.

1. ibace

ibace Member

I have a Samsung Evo 970 SSD which had a Windows 10 Installation on it. I tried to install a dual boot Windows 8 Pro on the SSD...got almost all the way thru and to the part of selecting partition...unable to do so due to "The selected disc is of the GPT Partition style.

So then I rebooted using a G-Parted DVD...used the software to create another partition by decreasing the size of the Windows 10 partition and creating a bare partition after it. Task completed and successful.

Then rebooted and using a USB with the latest version available of Windows 8 but the circumstances ended up the same; select where to install Windows to - unable to do so due to "The selected disc is of the GPT Partition style".

As a last resort I thought I would try to install another Windows 10 install and once that was done, with file systems all sorted out then revert the second W10 back to a Windows 8...so I downloaded the latest available version of Windows 10, using the Microsoft latest version MediaCreationTool1809. So task completed, USB drive ready to use...started up the system, selected the Lexar USB as the boot device...followed the required procedure...but ended up with the same reason for unable to do so - due to "The selected disc is of the GPT Partition style".

So my question of last resort...is there a way to convert a GPT Partition style drive to an MBR Style Partition?

2. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

Should anyone find this during their archive search re: GPT Partition issues...I ended up getting around the problem by booting with a EaseUS Recovery DVD, was able to convert whole drive to MBR type Partition...problem solved!

garnet likes this.