gpu power slider, whats it do?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Luke212, May 13, 2021.

1. Luke212

Luke212 Member

I have a 3080 that i mine with, and i can move the MSI power limiter around from 60% to 100%. and the mining software reports from 200W to 300W. the performance doesnt change. the core speed doesnt change and the ram speed doesnt change. yet the software reports higher watts. How can it produce more power if it doesnt change anything physical relating to the gpu? where does the extra power come from if the core and ram are fixed while im adjusting the slider?? Is it just an imaginary indicator? I feel like its not, but i just dont understand what its doing.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  2. The Beast

The Beast Member

Slide it up for fps, slide it down for $$$. Simples.

3. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

thanks for the knowledge bomb

4. havabeer

havabeer Member

Power slide for Longer drifts

[​IMG]

JSmithDTV and Luke212 like this.
  5. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Its a bit complicated but the power slider is one of a few metrics that the card uses to determine the max clocks. Normally its Power, Temp and Voltage and it will stop clocking higher once it hits one of those limits (Which ever comes first). So if for example you are thermally limited dropping the power slider might not do anything at all.

As to your specific issue. I'm not really sure but it could be that the system is adjusting the GPU voltage with the power slider as well (Higher voltage would mean more power at the same frequency), or maybe the polling rate of the frequency is low enough that its hiding minor dips in frequency. So while the max power option gives a very stable frequency the lowered slider provides a more erratic line but it displays as about the same to the user. (power and freqncy don't scale linearly with each other so a few extra Mhz might take a tonne of ect power)

Also another thing to remember is that mining tends to be less power hungry that other work loads as it only uses parts of the GPU Die ,shows 100% used but that just means the pipeline is full not that all parts of the GPU are being used (Or something along those lines, also it likes memory) so that might mean that the power slider would have more effect with other applications.

6. Slug69

Slug69 Member

In Afterburner it certainly will affect performance on a 3090 for instance. On the one example of a 3070 I have I can slide the slider down to 37% and no difference in hashrate performance. But the minimum I can slide the power slider on the 3090 I am closest to causes a massive drop in hashing performance. Feeding power to 24GB of VRAM must be a bit different to 8GB. It goes from 115MH/s when at 86% down to 19MH/s when I slide it down to 28%.

7. toopy28

toopy28 Member

And that 6X VRAM is some power hungry stuff.
    My 3090 draws 200w on the VRAM while mining with a 1200 Ram o/c, that's like 3x i9's.

8. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

sure there is a limit to how low you can take the slider without affecting performance. thats perfectly logical if you are changing the maximum power below a certain threshold. its usually around minimum 60% for me before things are affected. but is it lying to me when it says 300W just because i pulled the power from 60% to 100%? even though it doesnt change any clocks or anything? i guess i can measure W at the wall some time to confirm it, but it seems bullshit to say theres an extra 100W for no real change in anything.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  9. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Basically it is consuming more but all those extra spinning wheels very minimally (if at all) contribute to hash rate.

If you did the same in gaming or traditional benchmarking you'd see an increase, mining is just a different work load.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I thought it was just a way of capping the power consumption of the card, for whatever reason you might want to do that I'm not sure.

11. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

ok so now with your opinion thats differing what others say. weird noone knows what it does!

12. toopy28

toopy28 Member

It limits the maxum power draw of the entire card. watch it in the sensors section of gpu-z. (Board power draw)
    generally higher power allows more gpu clock boost, however in mining eth gpu clock doesn't matter a great deal as the algorithm is memory bound.

So yes its drawing less power for the same hashrate, thats good

You need to do a lot of reading https://appuals.com/gpu-boost-nvidias-self-boosting-algorithm-explained/

or watch some you tube videos, nv cards have worked like this since the gtx680

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'd say most around here just know it basically as a power inhibiting/limiting function so slide it to max power draw immediately when they get the card. Power limiting = ocau bad :p

14. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

so whats the point of the clock rate slider if the clocks are going off the power slider? you cant have both cake and eat it too.

15. toopy28

toopy28 Member

The clock rate slider sets the target base clock, core frequency can drop lower than this if power or temp limits have been hit or boost higher if there is headroom.

Are you new to overclocking?

16. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

yes

Slug69 likes this.