1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Gpu sag. Should I care?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by kogi, Jul 25, 2021.

1. kogi

kogi Member

New gpu

Is there any need to worry about sag?

Attached Files:

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've had plenty of cards over the years that I've been concerned with sag and never had a problem. In the end I've not ever noticed anything detrimental by the sagging, although I've never really looked at the solder joints to be fair. If you are concerned there are brackets you can get and you could even make one yourself to support that right hand side of the gpu from pressuring the motherboard socket.

If you're not too fussed with looks just chuck something under the right hand side of the gpu.

kogi likes this.
  3. Elmf

Elmf Member

No, but if you care about how it looks, measure it and ask if someone can 3D print you something to sit under the edge that's cool :)

kogi likes this.
  4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

3D printed "brackets":
    [​IMG]

(man that dust really shows up under white LED and camera, you can't even see it with the usual red LED )

rthy, karnophage, Elmf and 2 others like this.
  5. Elmf

Elmf Member

If you want more subtle you can sit any bracket further back too so they're basically invisible. I'd do 3d printed black Lego bricks if it was me ;)

Wozzernux likes this.
  6. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I got a new vid card and it's 1.5 kgs.. awfully heavy.. That said, it sits in the socket quite well but figured it wouldn't be bad to have a brace..

Bought off Amazon for $18.. has a magnetic base too so stays in position..

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B08C2CTPV6

[​IMG]

rthy, Wozzernux and kogi like this.
  7. 151528

151528 Member

I'd only be worried about the sag if the cables are putting downward pressure on the card, causing more sag.. sometimes I use the opposite to alleviate gpu sag; strategically placed cables coming from the bottom can sometimes provide just that little extra support needed so the sag is barely noticeable

Also like everyone else said, sticking anything under to support isn't a bad idea :thumbup:

I approve of your component choice, good balance of price/performance/stability parts :D

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  8. OP
    OP
    kogi

kogi Member

Thanks all, I just bought the stick thing vladdo has, since I was looking at some pci-e extensions anyway. (rant. Dunno why corsair would have pigtails on the pcie, it's not like 650w can handle a quad pcie gpu)

upload_2021-7-25_20-16-2.png

151528 likes this.
  9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Amazing they actually make brackets for this sort of thing. Almost makes you think they make them bend to create a new industry of product to sell :Paranoid::tongue:

10. Wozzernux

Wozzernux Member

Been using a Lian Li GB-001 bracket for 2+ years and can highly recommend it, for those who prefer a minimalist look.

Only fits fullsize ATX/E-ATX boards though, no SFF compatibility sadly.

11. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

Lego bracket :)
    upload_2021-7-25_22-7-20.png

de_overfiend, rthy, Bolter01 and 6 others like this.
  12. Elmf

Elmf Member

Exactly what I always envisioned, but step back a bit more for subtlely :p

13. Elmf

Elmf Member

That's actually quite smart.

14. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I use this as well, just be prepared to modify it a little with a dremel for larger cards. Still the best solution IMO, I'm not a fan of the large stands inside my case. The more creative lego props are pretty cool though.

Gibbon and Wozzernux like this.
  15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Get a thick straw.

16. 151528

151528 Member

In the same vein, I've used a toothpick before (unused :Paranoid::lol:)

Snip off the ends, texta it black, and voila, very subtle (and not suitable for moving :p but can always use a nib of blutac)

17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I've used a tooth pick before as well back in the day when I ran 3 way sli gtx285 cards on a Asus R2E board in a Coolermaster Centurion case. I had 3 tooth picks stacked, 1 from the bottom of the case to the fan shroud of the 3rd card, then another tooth pick reinforced from a screw head on back of the 3rd card to support card 2, same thing again card 2 to card 1. Those were the days.

151528 likes this.
  18. LouL

LouL Member

I've been using fishing line tied to specific points then run along the side of the card, pulled upwards into one of the vents then tied to one of the cable management anchors, you can't see the line at all. In other cases I've managed to not even use the fishing lines if I can access the two 'teeth' from back side of the case, if I tug it down and tighten the screws.

19. d-Z1R3

d-Z1R3 Member

20. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

use a case with a horizontal motherboard mount, so your GPU is vertical :p no need to worry about sag.

Some cases have thing built in, but its not particually danagerous, as the long as the sag is gradual. but still best to have no sag, sag is no good for your cosmetics!