GPU1 overheating, Please help

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Slayer_T, Aug 28, 2017.

1. terroristone

terroristone Member

2. gokurulz10000

gokurulz10000 Member

As you have already swapped out the xspc res with koolance pump combo and replaced with a brand new ek pump res combo its not gonna be pump issue

Try https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cable-pump-testing-adapter and if that still doesnt work then do what they guys suggested earlier

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    Slayer_T

Slayer_T Member

Update: So I've plugged the pump into the motherboard and installed Fanxpert and crank the pump to 100%. I also installed monitoring software to keep an eye on the pump RPM and have it keeping logs to a Excel file at the moment. So far I've observed bubbles moving through the loop without moving or tilting the case!. I'm hoping to buy that adapter today so I can leave the pump running at 100% over night with having to turn of the PC.

4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yeah I do :p :thumbdn:

It's good for three fans, so probably about 1A although I couldn't see specifics on the page - may be fine, bit pricey for testing though.

If manual control of the pump is important (and it may be depending on pump - D5s all have their own 'good' range for noise which can vary by unit) then you'll need to look at a control method capable of about 3A to cover everything. I usually just recommend a fan controller good for 30W/channel - then you get bonus channels for fans too, if you have a 5.25in bay handy. My current favourite is the Reeven SixEyes II (gone up a bit since I got my last one - have three and all terrific).

I'd skip the control for now though and just find something you can run it flat-knacker with. The adapter I linked you used to be a common inclusion with case fans - you may even have one around already, or be able to pinch one from somewhere.

If, as Flat says below, the parallel link isn't the issue, then it's pretty much down to flow? Test the pump at max and see if it goes away, if not - pull the block down and re-seat it, then clean it if that doesn't work :thumbup:

5. deluxe

deluxe Member

Correct...Absolutely nothing wrong with parallel linkages- overall system flow rate is higher than with serial. Not that it really matters for 1-2 cards

Reading this again- you had this problem before with tri-sli 980s?

Unless you've stuffed up the block mount twice, which is possible, I reckon you've not bled your loop properly-now and earlier.

Have you spent 20 mins after a fill tilting your case every which way and stopping/starting the pump, leaving it for 30 mins then repeating the process?

6. Gmk2

Gmk2 Member

I would remove the parallel links and go series.

The major advantage in a series setup is that water MUST flow through all the blocks. This will make it obvious if there is a blockage or issue in GPU 1 as the restriction will apply across the whole loop.

The fact that one GPU overheats and not the other suggests that your pump is not to blame.

7. OP
    OP
    Slayer_T

Slayer_T Member

Ok so dumb question.......What is the best way to bleed a loop? I've got advice from some people to leave the top of your reservoir off others say keep the lid on.

8. Gmk2

Gmk2 Member

If your trying to get rid of air in the loop then you want:
    * Pump running on 100% - additional flow helps push bubbles.
    * Start with res close to full of water as bubbles coming out will drop coolant level. Top up as required.
    * Remember water is heavier than air. If you have radiators or blocks where the fittings are physically lower than the body of the unit air can easily sit in them. You can carefully rotate your case to help burp these out. A gentle jiggle can help too.

It doesn't really matter if the lid of the res is open or not - the pump can only move so much water so the air should end up at the top of the res.

Feels unlikely this is the issue given one GPU specifically has the issue.

9. havabeer

havabeer Member

actually this part is INSANELY critical if your tipping or shaking your case :D:D

10. terroristone

terroristone Member

ive had to tilt my case in a heap of different directions to clear all the air in all my builds over the years, once done ive never had an issue.

T1

11. Gmk2

Gmk2 Member

TRUE! I don't bleed with the res open.. and with twin D5's the whole tipping thing was unnecessary. With an older swiftech unit it did help.

12. deluxe

deluxe Member

You want to do both of these things gmk2 suggested..

Keep the loop sealed, and tilt the case through 90 degrees in one direction, then slowly move it to 90 degrees in the other direction, allowing bubbles to move around the loop to the res. You can hear them and see them. You can also wobble the case side to side. You may even want to turn the case upside down on carpet to fully drain air from the top rad.

When the res level empties out i.e. the air has made it to the res, stop the loop and fill the res. Repeat process. Repeat process again. Eventually your loop will be quiet and most likely bled :thumbup:

Once that is done, run a synthetic benchmark to apply 100% load to the gpus. If one card is still spiking in temp rapidly, the problem is the block mount.

In which case, remount block, repeat loop filling process :lol::D

13. OP
    OP
    Slayer_T

Slayer_T Member

Omg just turned it upside down then turned ir up right again and powered on the pump and the air bubbles that raised into the resvoir omg

14. Flat-6

Flat-6 Member

At least you don't have to flip a rig of this size over and over...:D

[​IMG]

15. OP
    OP
    Slayer_T

Slayer_T Member

Wow thats massive! And a nice PC

16. havabeer

havabeer Member

I know your pain fiat, with my little devil v8

17. OP
    OP
    Slayer_T

Slayer_T Member

Hey a couple of things.

After turning it upside down and then turning it upright and running the pump. The water level in the reservoir went up. Is that right? My understanding is the as the air comes out the water goes down :S

The adapter for the pump should arrive tomorrow. Just want to clarify you connect both the Molex power and 3 pin to Molex adapter to another Molex at the same time correct?

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35648

18. deluxe

deluxe Member

The pump should be running from the start.

When you tip/tilt/whatever the case and you notice the res has emptied a bit, stop the pump and fill the res up. Repeat.

19. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I don't quite understand what you're asking here.

Your pump should have a power cable that either terminates in a molex connector or a 3-pin (or 4-pin?) fan connector.
    If it has a molex power connector, plug it straight into a PSU molex cable.
    If it has a fan connector, you'll need that adaptor, so you can plug it into a PSU molex cable.

No the water level should go down as the water escapes into the reservoir.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  20. OP
    OP
    Slayer_T

Slayer_T Member

Sorry I didn't explain it very well, basically I was checking if you can have both connected at the same time or one or the other because the pump has both a Molex and fan connector