1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

GpuMemTest v1.2 - FAILED!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by BurningFeetMan, Sep 7, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

WOW, how did I not know this? Hmm, it's almost worth finding a Z68 with hdmi then making it my media PC, and re-configuring my media pc as my main gaming rig, which is an i5-4460.

EDIT: meh, they're more or less the same power CPU for gaming, so not worth my time.

Just need to settle on a GPU, found a good price for GTX 1660 - which will smash any game that I run at 1080p.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    pwlm1975 likes this.
  2. power

power Member

oh so there is an HDMI?

in that case you can at least use it to use Youtube and shit until you get a GPU.

3. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Nah, no HDMI - I was just wondering if I bought another mobo that has HDMI, cause I somehow had no clue about my 2600K onboard. But it's apples for apples - I'll focus on simply getting a new GPU for my rig for now. I often have this upgrade pattern of getting a new GPU, then a year or two, then getting a new mobo and cpu, then again, another few years and a new gpu...

power likes this.
  4. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Any x6x or x7x motherboard you buy will be old and again, no guarantee of longevity. The GPU is the best idea and at least is transferable.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  5. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

6. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

8800gt is waaaay older and would be a poor performer these days

7. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Ah. Damn the naming systems are confusing.

It's getting worse by the year too. At this rate the names will be the length and complexity of a bitcoin wallet

8. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

8800 > 9800 > GTX2xx > GTX4xx > GTX5xx > GTX6xx > GTX770 (OP)

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I upgraded from my 8800GTS to the GTX770 back in 2014, and now I have a GTX 1660 SUPER in the mail. :D

This glitching GTX770 is the worst, cause I did sooo many computery things today for my working shift without any hic-up, but then as soon at I decide to have a game this evening, not even 30 minutes into playing Risk Of Rain 2 my whole computer hard resets. :(

Yah, which is what I'm thinking... the GPU might be just the start of my troubles, I know this MoBo has already been zapped by enough lightning strikes over the years, I'll start keeping my eyes out for my next mobo and CPU over the next year.

I assume that GPUMemTest is definitive, in that when that app is throwing errors that it's 100% the GPU (as opposed to some glitchy glitch in some other piece of hardware?)

pwlm1975 likes this.
  10. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

I am very happy with my 1660S so hopefully it fits the bill for you too.

11. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

If it ever arrives :lol: Looks like I'll have to wait till early October for the delivery. :(

Brief update;
    My main desktop has been resetting without notice a few times a day now, with only Firefox open and no other apps. :(

As my PC is now unstable even when working, I've decided to begin the great unplugging and clean up, dusting out all other components in prep for the GPU swap. It's not too dusty though, but still due for one regardless. And with still a few weeks of waiting for my new GPU to arrive, I might just try re-seating everything, and wiggling every cable, just to be sure-sure that my 770 GTX isn't simply a dash loose.

I recall a year or two ago, similar symptoms occurring, and a similar procedure settled the thing again.

And perhaps an interesting development - in that I've plugged my work laptop into one of my desktop monitors using the same HDMI cable as per my faulty PC, and just even the slightest bump to the cable causes the signal to fail... so I'm very curious on if a wobbly/loose HDMI/video cable can cause such issues...