Gran Turismo Sport

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by power, Oct 28, 2015.

1. The Beast

The Beast Member

No offence, but in all that time you never thought to look into any of those issues before you bought the game?

The online focus and no 'campaign' has been common knowledge 'forever' (practically since the reveal). Go read comments in this thread from MAY last year that would have told you what you've only just discovered. We also just had a 6 day open beta you could have tried, or at least read the many many experiences other people had with it.

Speaking of online, your complaints seem largely unfounded:

- Yes, you need PS+ to play online - as with every console game that isn't a free-to-play. That isn't GTs fault, if you don't like paying to play online switch to PC. It's only $10.95 per month if you pay per month, no one does that.

- The sports mode games have set start times every 20 minutes, so unlike previous lobby or hopper systems you know exactly when the next race is and can plan around it. Currently they are setup so you can pretty much just flow from one to the next.

- 10 year olds that smash you off the track should, in theory, have their SR (Sportsmanship Rating) lowered and be put into a lower class than you eventually - so you'll end up racing with people of roughly the same etiquette level. Of course you would know that if you actually read about the game you just bought, or even tried sports mode... which I'm guess you didn't because you don't have PS+.

- The netcode in GTS is some of the best I've seen (so far). Even in the open beta I was blown away with how good the online racing was. Not seeing the drama you talk of.

- As I understand it, GTS is the framework for Gran Turismo 'as a service', which means it'll be expanded significantly over time. Who knows if that means campaign style single player additions or just more varied online racing, but either way I think in 12 months this will be a much richer experience.

Sorry you can't enjoy the game as it is, there is a terrific racing game under the hood!

2. Schnooper

Schnooper Member

No offence taken.

However from my point of view, I'm an pretty busy person without a lot of spare time to read articles/blogs/news to review this type of things. And as far as previous releases, Gran Turismo has six major releases, all with a very extensive single play carer modes, some takes 100's of hours to complete. So in my mind, a very successful formula, and TBH I was expecting the same.

I don't get a lot of time to play anymore, and with GT6 for example I can just jump on, drive my favourite car and just enjoy the game. Doesn't matter if I play 5 nights a week, or once ever 6 months. I don't have to wait 20 minutes, I can just go.

I do really enjoy GT as a game series, and so PC isn't an option for me. So on the PS+ cost, sure its only $10.95 per month. But if you only have it for this game (like I would as I don't play online at all) and I play here and there for 12 months, the cost of the game goes from $69 to $200 (include 12 months PS+) and 2 years is $331. Even on a 12 month up front @ $79.95 its still doubling the cost of the game. Typically, I play GT over an extended period, so this is pretty likely scenario for me. The game starts to look very expensive. And I still CBF with waiting for games to start and dealing with online "personalities".

So for me, its very disappointing that there has been this massive change in the game and really takes away from my experience.

And I am sure you are right about being a terrific racing game - but it just doesn't work for me in this format. Which is really sad, cause I have had such a great time with the series....

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  3. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Well, Kaz has always said that GT Sport is shifting their focus to eSports rather than single player mode so it shouldn't be a big surprise.

If you're after campaign stuff, try Project Cars 1 and 2, although I've never tried it (having only played online).

4. The Beast

The Beast Member

I'm not sure I quite get all of your argument though...

Regarding the cost, I'm pretty sure you don't need PS+ to access any of the content apart from Sport mode, which you've said you have no interest in - so it won't actually cost you any more than the original price of the game.

It's not a pretty campaign, admittedly, but yhere are still plenty of driving challenges to work though (again, without needing PS+), and in arcade mode you can effectively recreate any race you want against the AI, which is all you were getting in GT5/6 etc. Again, no need for PS+ here. You can do exactly what you're after, jump on, drive your favourite car on your track of choice and you don't have to wait for anyone. It's also a rock solid 60fps no matter whether PS4 OG or Pro, and it looks amazing - if you still love GT6 I can't imagine that this won't float your boat.

Now, I will concede there are some issues... the car list is sparse compared to GT5/6, that will fill out over time, but for now you get what you get. Same with tracks (though having the Ring and Bathurst helps). I'm also sad for no dynamic weather or time-of-day, so endurance races just aren't the same. On a positive note though, it seems pit stops, tyre wear, fuel consumption and mechanical damage are handled MUCH better than past GTs - so that's a thing.

Anyway, seeing as you already have the game I would encourage you to not give up on it yet, I reckon there may be more in there (even for your situation) than you think. Perhaps we'll see more single player stuff get added if enough people complain, but for now I still reckon there is enough to keep one busy.

EDIT: Stole these from GAF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  5. Bertross

Bertross Member

I had a blast unlocking cars last night. I need to renew my PSN account but ill do all the missions first. I like the driving rules videos and how people will be segmented based on skill and driving etiquette

6. Schnooper

Schnooper Member

Correct, you only need PS+ to access the sport (online) part of the game. And I don't have a problem with this part of the game. I am sure there are a heap of users out there that are looking for only online play, so this will be a great game for them.

However, the GT series was built on extensive single player with a huge selection of cars with one of the best rewards based systems in the business. You could buy cars, race them, win credits and use those to modify the cars for improve performance and then buy more cars. Most parts of car moding was included, replacement turbos, better gear boxes, weight reduction, and the list goes on. Start small and end up with a massive garage of cars that you purchased and modified to how you like. Its a great way to get invested in the game.

All of this has been removed from the new game. There is basically no car modification now. I was reading a article last night in where Kaz stated (and I am paraphrasing here) that players don't understand car modifications anymore, where as 20 years ago players understood car modification. Hence the reason it was removed from the game. I actually call bullshit on this, have the developers forgot that the same players that made the GT series such a sales success still playing the game?

I don't have an issue with the online part of the game, I am just not interested in it. I expected some of the same formula as the last six games, to find its been completely removed. I have to agree, it does look amazing. But to me, this release is very much style over substance. Once I get to the end of the campaign (which wont take very long) that will be the end of this game for me, which is a very big disappointment.

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

there is only one guarantee, this game now has a shelf life - that's my take home.

Servers off = game dead.

8. Bertross

Bertross Member

The best part of the beta was the online part. I damn loved it! Very smooth and great entertainment. Bring on the HDR PC LCDS please. I always plug my PS4 pro into my UW 34" :D

Currently i have about 10 cars in my garage. I was insisting on gold medals :) Even my kids had a run 2 player split screen.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  9. Usern@me

Usern@me Member

So settled in in front of my racing sim with my brand new ps4 pro and my new 50” 4K tv bought specifically for this game........ servers are off line and this game is useless. Only arcade mode open. No challenges or any content that should be available offline....... what the hell am I meant to do now?

I took today off work 8 weeks in advance and I can’t even play it....

10. Usern@me

Usern@me Member

Servers back. But I lost 11 of my gold driving school results.... what a fucking waste of time

11. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

I'm glad I didn't buy back into the GT franchise. I'm still mad that I can't access the DLC I paid for since I reinstalled GT5 on my Playstation. Fuck those guys.

12. TomJ

TomJ Member

Sucks about the servers, but it's day 2 with an influx, it'll sort itself out. If you've already golded them, you shouldn;t have a problem doing it again.

Fukn 1st world problems, ay!

Picked the game up last night from BigDub, wasn't expecting to. Half licenses golded last night, will do the intermediate tonight. Enjoying getting used to that GT driving style again.

13. Usern@me

Usern@me Member

Yep servers came back up and now I have all 48 golds.... such great fun. I take it all back.

But would a GT game even be a GT game if you didn’t spend half the time playing it complaining about the bugs

14. Bertross

Bertross Member

ROFL, i must had missed out since the ps2 days.

15. zed_kid

zed_kid Member

16. ZXR

ZXR Member

I'm going to wait a few weeks before I pick this up so they can get any server issues sorted. In the meantime I'll hit up Project Cars 2. This way I get the best of both worlds. :)

17. The Beast

The Beast Member

Well the seat is selling for $599 and the wheel $379, so it looks like you're only saving $80 compared to buying them separately, and if you consider the T150 Pro is $299 at JB-Hifi then you're not saving anything getting the bundle from Pagnian.

So if you want the racing rig sure, $600 is ok, but don't feel you have to get the T150 just to save money, cos you're not.

I have to ask, are you planning to get a gear shifter? Because the T150 Pro comes with T3PA pedals, which are pretty nice starter pedals, but you're paying for a clutch that you probably won't ever use. If you fork out for a TH8 shifter, you'll have a decent pedal/shifter combo, but an entry level wheel that can't be upgraded and will be hard to sell without a pedal base. There is no real upgrade path for the wheel as Thrustmaster don't sell just a wheel base that will work with the PS4, so you would be buying another wheel that comes with pedals anyway.

Also, the T150 is a hybrid belt/gear driven wheel, not just belt driven like their more expensive models (T300 up). You can't swap out the rim for the many other Thrustmaster rims like you can with the T300, T500, T-GT, TS PC etc. It's a good entry level wheel (better than the G29), but it has limitations.

If you want an entry wheel that's not quite as nice but that you can move on from completely later if you get upgrade fever, why not get a G29 for only a few bucks more - you get three pedals and a shifter - even if the wheel itself is gear driven and not as smooth as the T150 and definitely not the T300. That way, if you upgrade to say a T300 later, or something even better, you can just sell the entire G29 package as is.

Alternately, just get the T300 RS GT. Yes, it'll sting you another $200, but the wheel is really very good and you still get the T3PA pedals which gives you an add-on option to get the TH8 shifter later if you desire. Investing now will probably see you happier for longer.

I've been using a T300 RS for the past couple of years and love it, it's as nice to drive as the T500 I had before - not as strong maybe, but smoother. Tomorrow I take delivery of a Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 edition.... which is a whole other level of crazy. Pairing with a set of [/url=https://www.protosimtech.com/media/]ProtoSimTech PT-1[/url] pedals :) Don't follow my lead, things get crazy... I'm running my rig through a GIMX usb adaptor from my PC gaming rig into the PS4... works amazingly well though!

I'm also thinking of replacing my original RSeat racing seat with an F1GT. I like the minimalist nature of the chair (no need for bucket seats in a stationary seat!), easy to ingress/egress, and when I finally get F1 2017 in a bargain bin I can get my Danny Ricardo on in laid back style!

18. stitch512

stitch512 Member

Thats an ok price but if your going to spend that much on a cockpit setup, spend a little more and get something decent. That wheel is very low end.

I am currently using the gt extreme but the monitor stand for it is useless as its too far away. I currently have the cockpit right up against a table with a 32inch tv around 60cm away and even then its not ideal.

Tv/ monitor distance is a massive deal when it comes to using a wheel in sim racing. You would be amazed how much more car control you have when you have a correct FOV. Its a big reason why in games it always feels harder to drive using cockpit view because most of the time that view is utterly stupid.

I would advise againt it simply because the monitor stand is too far away and if you ever decided to get more serious with sim racing, FOV and monitor distance is extremely important. The obutto is a better option or even the F1GT from next level is only a little more but much better.

The G29 is a much better wheel than that wheel.

19. Usern@me

Usern@me Member

All gold on Nurburgring except for silver on the lap challenge. 7:04. Knackerd but great fun

20. The Beast

The Beast Member

Not sure I agree, though I've never used a G29 or a T150, but I have owned and used a G25, G27, T300 and T500 :)

G29/G27 use helical gears for the FFB, and are noticeably less detailed than the belt driven T300, whilst also being clunkier and lounder. The T150 uses a hybrid system with a belt, and by all accounts is much quieter, has an excellent (lack of) dead zone and good FFB for an entry level wheel.

Now, the G29 wheel rim might appeal more to some people, being leather wrapped and all, but the T150 should be plenty comfortable. The hand grips at 3 and 9 o'clock are same type of material as on the T300 and I can happily use that for hours without getting sore or sweaty.

I think overall the T150 should provide a better FFB experience, more accurate input and quieter operation than the G29.

Nice!

I got my first win in a Daily (weekly as it turns out) Sports event at Suzuka after quiet a few 2nds and 3rds. The online racing is really very good, and the ranking system seems to be doing it's job - I've had very few 'bad' collision experiences and the odd taps here and there are usually catch-able, plus people tend back off after contact as they don't want the negative SR of ramming you further. There is still the odd idiot of course, or newb who chokes under race pressure and overshoots every corner, but over all I have to say racing with randoms has never been so enjoyable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017