1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Grant's Socket 7 FreeDOS box

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Grant, Dec 30, 2020.

1. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Great to see one of DirkMirk's cases being put to good use. Those cases are in marvelous condition.

baronbaldric and Pierre32 like this.
  2. Vanne

Vanne Member

Looks bloody Awesome!!! The case, not your cable management ;) seriously though, nice job. That case suits the build perfectly.

baronbaldric likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Grant

Grant Member

Haha I did a better than normal job on the ribbon cables (and got rid of one by swapping to a CF card reader that plugs directly into the socket), I'll tidy up the power cables once I sort out the ATX power switch.

Vanne and baronbaldric like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Grant

Grant Member

I spent some time today upgrading FreeDOS, I had initially installed FreeDOS 1.2 because it was "stable", but v1.3 was up to RC3 at the time and the difference was 3 years between the releases. So that was a silly thing to do. Apart from general freshness of my retro system, the goal was to get the original Quake CD audio working rather than needing QDOS.

FreeDOS 1.3 RC5 was released this month, so I did a fresh install of that. When playing around with it on another system I saw the installer will happily install on top of whatever's on the C: drive (also the 1.3 installer is "self-hosted" on FreeDOS rather than being Linux based), so that was one upgrade option. The other one is upgrading the individual packages using FDNPKG or perhaps the default FDIMPLES package manager, but I don't think that's "supported".

I'd kept the C: drive pretty clean, with all of my custom drivers and scripts in their own directory and all games/personal files on different partitions, so a fresh install was fairly straightforward:
    • The distribution's AUTOEXEC.BAT was heavily reworked and focused on DOSBOX (also it was renamed FDAUTO.BAT), so I wrote a new simplified one based on my v1.2 modifications and directed FDCONFIG.SYS to it.
    • Replaced E100BPKT.COM with the open-source E100PKT.COM in the FreeDOS distro.
    • Installed the ETHERDFS client for RetroNAS using the package manager rather than my previous manual install.
    • Replaced the CDROM driver/SHSUCDX config that I've been hacking around on with the newly-externalised CDROM.BAT in the FreeDOS distro.
    I also noticed the Quake install I had was v1.01 (that's the CD I have), QDOS obviously replaces QUAKE.EXE but there were some patches to PAK0.PAK in the 1.06 patch, so I did that then dropped in the v1.08 client.

None of that fixed the problem though. What did was noticing that in the Quake console, "cd info" would report "No CD in drive". I'd also noticed in my previous install that even when the CD-ROM was working, the first time I'd "dir" the contents of the G: drive, I'd get a "Drive not ready / Abort Retry Fail", and after selecting Retry, the disc would spin up and list the contents fine.

So I did:

Code:
    g:
    dir
    [Retry]
    d:
    quake

And it worked :leet:

Vanne, elvis, adz and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sergio Sandoval

Sergio Sandoval New Member

I got the motherboard in its new unopened box with all the accessories, in case you need it I will be uploading the images of the user manual and driver installation files.

Thank you for the content you have posted.

Cogito ergo sum.

Grant likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Grant

Grant Member

That would be awesome! It'll be interesting to see if my initial failure with an SDRAM DIMM was a bad/incompatible stick or one of the jumper settings. I don't notice much of a performance difference with EDO though.

7. Sergio Sandoval

I don't know how to attach images and PDF files and disk image in the forum. It's the best I could do at the moment, I hope someone can tell me how to do it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    JaC, atmo, Pierre32 and 1 other person like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Grant

Grant Member

Thanks! So the clusters of 3 jumpers at the left and right of the EDO slots control voltage, but my board (and the factory default it seems) is that they're set to 3.3v, which should work for SDRAM (edit: SDRAM can be 5v so I'll have to check). I'm completely confused at the translated explanation of how the banks need to be populated - I have 4x 32M EDO modules and it works as 128MiB. I definitely tried one stick of SDRAM in the bottom slot, but it's not clear from the explanation if it wants two DIMMs. My interpretation is that it wants one bank to be filled either with one DIMM or two SIMMs. Interesting that it says it supports a combination of EDO and SDRAM though.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  9. OP
    OP
    Grant

Grant Member

I think the best resource online at the moment is https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/, with some history from Pierre32 here. The community that manages it is based at vogons.org and on Discord, but if you upload what you have to a free file host (either a cloud drive like Google Drive if that's easy or a file sharing site like mega.nz) and post the link here, I can take a look and see what's needed to get it added.

Vanne likes this.
  10. Sergio Sandoval

Hello everyone, I leave you the link where information on the ACHI-5VX motherboard is published. I have a question. Should the bios image be on the driver installation diskette, or is it obtained through MS-DOS? In discord.com they are asking me for the BIOS image and I have no way to obtain it since I still do not have compatible hardware to make the motherboard work.

https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/10279#downloads

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Pierre32 and Grant like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Grant

Grant Member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    Sergio Sandoval likes this.
  12. Sergio Sandoval

good afternoon everyone, can any of you give me an idea of what's going on with my ACHI-5VX motherboard. I got a PC100 CL3 64Mb RAM memory, an ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO PCI video card (That's what I had on hand), a socket 7 heatsink with MOLEX connector and an AT 250W power supply plus a 30Gb IDE HDD, with all this I I decided to try and there is no video, the video card heatsink does turn on but the heatsink of what I think is a MOSFET was on fire. will it be damaged? I think that I could have made a mistake in the configuration of the processor voltage with the jumpers. At the weekend I will begin to review what has happened.

13. OP
    OP
    Grant

Grant Member

Do you have a PC Speaker connected to it? Any beeps?