Graphics tablet choice

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by Akh-Horus, May 24, 2018.

1. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I've seen a lot of discussion about using a graphics tablet for photoshop editing. One of the main reasons for looking is due to the stress on your wrist and hand whilst editing, I get a bit of trouble with my hand accordingly.

From the people who use them - is it worthwhile getting a graphics tablet for photo touchup? If so, which one for a beginner, Wacom seem to be the best but there are well regarded brands which are cheaper such as Huion.

Thoughts/recommendations/feedback?

Constructive only please.

2. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

I can't say much in comparison to a Wacom but I just got myself a Huion H640P for $70.

I am the worst drawer in my family, and have no artistic skills but I got it to learn and have some fun and my god it is such good fun and works really well.

I was expecting it to be something like using like those old touch screen phones where you had to press so hard with no input followed... boy was I wrong.

It takes a little getting used to actually using it and to use a stylus whilst looking up at your screen - it's definitely no mice. But it took me all of an hour to get used to its sensitivity and being able to control it.

Go cheap, go the Huion. Learn it - if it doesn't suit then you can sell it. I feel like Wacom is just overpriced because once upon a time it was really just them in this market, now there are competitors like Huion and XP-Pen that Wacom should either revise their prices accordingly or risk losing customer base because of the chinese branded ones.

Again, I don't have any experiences with different brands and models, and I've literally just started to teach myself to draw shapes. But I can definitely say I'm having lots of fun, learning lots, and have gotten used to using and controlling it very very quickly.

3. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Many thanks for that. And I agree, the Huion appears to be good value, unless a good Wacom jumps out at a very good price.

Anyone using a tablet with touching up photos?

4. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

These are the things I have had experience with.

Wacom Cintiq 24HD v1
    Wacom Cintiq 13HD v1
    Wacom Intuos 4
    PenArtist 16

First the Wacom stuff is hands down the best, everything said about them is true. So far with my pen artist I have driver issues constantly, extra functionality is low and the pen is only passable quality. The display and pen separation is also very large. However it only cost me like $500. I can use it but it has caused me many a headache.

My 2cents.

Unless you are doing proper digital art a Cintiq/pen display is not necessary and maybe even an inconvenience. They take up a sizeable portion of the desk and you have to move your mouse and keyboard to use it, making it difficult to multi task across monitors.

A intuos, aka a graphics tablet is great for grabbing quickly. I used one at work for a long time and found it great. The hand/eye separation is only really an issue if you are doing digital art/drawing. Any other workflow it's totally fine and alot better than a mouse.

As for what brands? honestly, I have heard good things about Huion, but Wacom is still the bench mark. I bet it would be really easy to pick up a used Intuos tablet for cheap. And I'd recommend doing that over buying an alternative brand.

5. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Many thanks. Was thinking Huion but have heard the surface of the Wacom is better

6. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Wacom is always going to be better in just about every way. Alternatives are catching up, but I would say that if you are a working professional then just pay the premium and get the Wacom.

Akh-Horus likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Which model? There seems to be a large variety, as I said this is for photo touch ups, I can't draw to save myself.

8. Kykachi

Kykachi Member

+1 for Huion - but if you can afford it, go the Wacom. The Huions are on the up and up - but the Wacom is still the king in this field. I have loved using my Huion graphics tablet, to the point where i think it may be on its last legs. (absolute ton of use case here - digital drawing and art stuff and i have had it for years)

I think it depends what interface you want - with that said, the graphics monitor is a direct interface to the image - less practice is needed to do this effectively. The cost of even the 13" Wacom Cintiq is exceptionally high for the real estate you end up - whereas you can get much larger graphics monitors - for equivalent price or cheaper from Huion and others. YMMV though.

The Wacom premium is somewhat justified by the feel of the glass/surface, quality of the pen, drawing pressure and integration of software to the hardware - though my Huion was very easy to setup, felt pretty solid for the cost of investment and rarely if ever experienced any issues.

As a hobbyist i stuck with Huion option and to be honest would buy a Huion next time too(but this time a graphics monitor, not drawing tablet).

9. deluxe

deluxe Member

Kykachi likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

With the lack of skill and low level use I am thinking of, that would be over kill . But fun lol.

11. Andre Moon

Andre Moon Member

I'm using a Huion H610 that I purchased 3 years ago and I think it's a great addition to my digital photography.

I purchased it initially for dust removal on scanned negatives (my scanner doesn't use ICE) for a photography exhibition.

Saved my wrists and worked a treat.

I'm not an illustrator but I've also had success drawing a small project using Krita on a Linux system so drives no problems there.

Linux, Windows and Mac are covered (personally used it on all systems) and for someone who is dipping their toes in, it's a great piece of kit.

12. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Picked up an Intuos 5 touch in large for $100. See how we go with it.

13. Willo

Willo Member

Hey where did you get it from

14. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Gumtree of all places

SSJ4 likes this.
  15. Willo

Willo Member

What software are you using with it. I'm looking for something to draw with. Fashion and clothes.

16. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I am simply using it in photo shop so far. Getting a system set up in Melbourne as I am now half my time down there.

17. Willo

Willo Member

I ended up getting the H950P.

18. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I was deliberating about the Huoin but when the one I got became available.....

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

I looked at a couple of drawing/art programs, and I liked ArtRage. It is a LOT (lot) cheaper than the other one (the name of which escapes me at the moment) which is also more complicated (which is ok if you want to learn complicated, not so much if you just want to do stuff straight away). You can download a trial version and play with it(you just can't save files)
    https://www.artrage.com/demos/