1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphite Thermal Pad

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by zeeps, Nov 19, 2018.

1. zeeps

zeeps Member

2. echineon

echineon Member

from most review videos it seems to work alright, but so is good TIM or liquid metal. Plus it's conductive so no use on GPU die.

3. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

I don't get it.

The purpose of thermal interface product is to ensure complete contact between one face and the other. Fill the tiny microscopic surface pits and imperfections, and ensure 100% contact to maximise heat exchange.

So how can a product containing "no liquids" possibly be better than one which, under the initial impact of heat, flows to fill those surface imperfections completely?

4. havabeer

havabeer Member

The bits that do touch conduct heat better then a traditional paste Is about the only reason I can think of.

5. magius

magius Member

I'd imagine as a thermal pad, it has a bit of flex, meaning as you compress, it should fill some of the gaps.

6. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Yep, and as a squashy pad rather than a runny pad, it can't possibly fill as many of the microscopic imperfections. I can't really see a purpose for them. Unless it's for a person who wants a reusable interface, and is happy to accept a less effective solution in order to get that?

I'm seeing the 'thermal paste only lasts for up to 3 years' argument, but that's actually a bit of nonsense. If it were true then the gazillions of old clunker computers still in everyday use around the world would all have died years ago.

7. havabeer

havabeer Member

You've never pulled an old 3 or 4 year computer apart. Thermal paste goes nasty. It still works, just not as well, which is often a case of people asking "why is my old computer going slow" part of the reason is because the dam thing is thermal throttling from dust in the heat sink and crusty thermal paste.

The graphite ones as mentioned in the ad do seem to take the guess work out of applying the paste. I dont see them replacing pastes anytime soon.

8. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Oh quite the contrary. I've been building and fiddling with PCs for 20 years or more :lol:

Performance degradation from thermal material degradation over time is something which can occasionally occur. It isn't something which inevitably occurs.