1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Grease is the word (not)

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by broccoli, Oct 13, 2012.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

How do you keep your whole kitchen from being encased in grease from frying splatter? I have a splatterguard which can stop some of it, but you have to take the guard off to turn it over. I don't turn it up high, but you have to have it up enough or it isn't going to brown/fry. All I did was brown some chicken and the stove and stuff next to it is covered in a layer of grease. Aargh. Any recommendations for avoiding?

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

you clean your kitchen, thats how.

3. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

what are you cooking thats greasy?

In an ideal world you would take the stuff that normally causes a mess and go outside and bbq it instead. No muss no fuss.

*we all know you never clean a bbq, you just bake in the bugs, dirt and pet hair....it adds flavour!

4. fiberoptic

fiberoptic (Taking a Break)

My mother spreads out newspaper onto the benchtops next to the cooking area, and sometimes on the floor too... sometimes even stickytaping some onto the tiles at the back of the stovetop lol (she is a bit crazy)

Then just rip them off and recycle when you're done cooking. And clean up the rest that wasnt covered... reduces the area to clean by a shitload, and saves water/cleaning products.

Handy for those who buy newspapers regularly. If you dont, then this wont help you unless you go out and buy them just to reuse them for stuff like this.

Makes the kitchen look ugly while cooking/frying but hey, makes cleaning quicker and easier.

Just dont go overboard like my mum.. she got to the point of covering the portions of the gas top she wasnt using, while having one fully alight... naked flame + layers of newspaper right next to it = moronic. She has had it catch alight a few times and thankfully she has stopped being so dangerous/stupid.... when I am at home anyway.

5. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

This time, just some chicken pieces. Otherwise, usually steak.

Yes, I suppose I could do it on the bbq, but then I have to cart it outside and back in (I don't have sliding doors, normal door and steps) so it may not be saving the time spent having to enjo or gumption everything within spitting distance of the stove.

EDIT:
    Thanks, fibreoptic, that might be worth a try (trust a mum to have an idea). It's not so much the splashback and the stove, you expect to clean them, it's all the other stuff on the benchtop that manages to get sprayed as well.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  6. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

Get an electric frypan and do it outside. Particularly now in the summer months.

7. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

Let me guess, must be Asian :leet:

8. krappo

krappo Member

This :thumbup:

I cook most my stuff on BBQ and love it :)

9. fiberoptic

Of course, man. lol

10. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

Dw, my mum does the same thing, except with lab grade aluminum foil.

Failing that, there's the outdoor bungalow kitchen where all the heavy duty cooking gets done

11. Orphan

Orphan Member

Another :thumbup: for using the BBQ. Are stairs and a door really such a big issue when you are complaining about having to clean up splattered oil? The char grill on a BBQ is also a much better option for cooking most meat like streak or chicken breast and you aren't drowning it in oil to do so.

12. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Stairs, door, 2 small dogs running about underfoot, nowhere to put anything, flies..... In my circumstances, cleaning indoors would probably be less trouble, all things considered. If I had a nice modern alfresco area like in new houses, I'd be outside in a flash, but my setup is pretty primitive. Anyway, I've got the newspaper suggestion which should help:thumbup:.

13. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Cleaning the rangehood is the worst job ever. Even worse than the oven, imo.

14. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't have a rangehood - maybe that would help by drawing all of the fat up.

15. fiberoptic

They dont help, imo. I dont fry food but as mentioned before, my parents do (namely my father who manages to turn anything into a frying frenzy involving oil splatters all over the kitchen) :sick: and I am the cleaning bitch half the time... our rangehood does shit all except get covered in oil too... it's just another annoying surface to clean

This, however, is another thing my mother has managed to sticky tape newspaper over. lol

edit: not sure if you meant a rangehood would or wouldnt help in terms of making cleaning easier? anyways..

16. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

yes, stop the oil going everywhere by sucking it up into the exhaust thing.

17. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

If that's the reason my rangehood is so god damn messy (cleaned it today actually), then I will stop using mine as cleaning the bench/backsplash/stove is a hell of a lot easier.

The rangehood does help minimise the place smelling like whatever I'm cooking though, so that's the main reason I turn mine on when I cook.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The only things I fry up in oil are sausages and bacon in a pan.....and there is a mesh splash plate for that, works brilliantly.

19. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, it works better with things you aren't turning a lot. I had to do the chicken in batches, and you need to turn them over quite a bit, so the splatterguard has to come off when you do that and take out and add the next batch. Steak, sausages and things you only need to turn once are better with the guard than stuff you need to keep moving about.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's not hard just to lift the guard and turn :lol: