1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Grease is the word (not)

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by broccoli, Oct 13, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Nobody said it was "hard", when you've got a sizzling pan with bits in it, fat spurts everywhere. When you turn a hunk of steak it is one turn, and guard goes back on, when you are turning a whole heap of little chicken bits, you have to do several turning movements, then fishing all the bits out and chucking in another lot. The point is that the guard is off longer while you're messing about turning and removing, putting more in, so more fat gets sprayed out than if you've got a slab, one turn, guard back on.

2. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

1 word.

Degreaser.

3. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

You do realize OP that you can get no splattering if you just turn the heat down and cook for longer?

Will still brown off, be cooked through the same and just take a little longer and wont have hot fat jumping all over the place.

4. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I'll try that, but I'm not sure you're right for my old electric stove and it took long enough as it was to fry up all of the chicken, so that time would be extended. It seems to go from "stew" to "sizzle" and that's that. It isn't turned up high, just to get it frying and not just sitting there.

Maybe I'll do it in the electric frypan next time, and use the lid. Give that a whirl. Try the bbq. Try the newspaper. I've moved some stuff about, so my food processor isn't next to the stove, so that should help too as I won't be having to clean if every time I use a frypan.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The guard doesn't go off completely, it just goes up and tilted to one side. It's easy to turn the food using your prongs under a tilted splash guard.

6. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

And taking it out and putting the next batch in? When I take it out, I hold the plate or bowl I'm putting it into, up close to the pan.

7. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Unfortunately, the bad news is ... if you fry often, you have to clean often. Oil messes up your kitchen in a few ways. First, there is the splatter. Second, there is the vaporized oil. I'm not kidding, it floats off and coats anything within a few square meters of your frypan. My fridge is about 1.5m away from my hob, well away from direct splatter. Yet the top of the fridge gets greasy.

Really, the only way is to clean often.

8. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't fry often and the mess is part of the reason why. I think it's why I like stews and things where you can fry the onion in the bottom of a pot, rather than a shallow frypan. I'm just trying to do some more cooking so....

Do you have a rangehood, amfibius, with getting the grease everywhere? I was looking at getting a rangehood, but didn't. Maybe I'll have another look if it'll help with the greasiness of the kitchen.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Its just about minimising the splatter, you're always going to get some splatter around the place.

10. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

You still have to clean the build up of vapour that amfibious mentioned from the range hood, and the stove still gets covered in splatter. Shit goes everywhere, its the nature of using oil to fry in a kitchen.

11. roamin

roamin Member

if you cant clean after you cook, dont use oil

if you are splattering that much oil around that its going everywhere, dont use so much oil.

stick with steamed vegies. :thumbup:

i seem to be able to cook snags and steak and bacon and so on without getting oil all over my stove top no problems.

option 2, buy a deep dish frying pan

option 3, buy an electric fry pan and cook over the sink or out the back or something.

12. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

How about just getting a decent non-stick pan and using far less oil?

13. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Sure, but does having a rangehood prevent it going all over the kitchen? Are rangehoods worth having? Anybody got one after not having had one and noticed the difference they make?

14. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

1. no
    2. yes
    3. yes, stops the house smelling like the kitchen and from getting coated in an oil film.

15. mmBax

mmBax Member

Yeah strongly recommended.

I recently spent a couple of nights cleaning off a thick coating of grease/fat from the top of my cupboards. I don't think the old owner ever bothered and I had to get up there to repaint.

Lets just say a scourer and morning fresh wasn't enough to cut through this stuff. I had to use steel wool and some pretty harsh blend of chemicals. Rangehood would have saved me.

16. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Sounds like you need to hang up the apron and eat out :thumbup:

17. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Well, you're a big help.:lol: I'm trying to do more cooking, not less. I will look at getting a rangehood. It's just a pain because I need an extra long chimney on it. If it was normal sized, I would have bought one already.

18. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Anyone who deep fries a steak is dark sided

Cook chicken pieces in the oven :thumbup: