Great deal on ebay for a mini-ITX

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Cannula, Oct 21, 2007.

1. slobber

slobber Member

No never did try that as the machine is purely a browser, let us know how you go :thumbup:

2. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Well that was a lot of f*cking around!

OK, Ubuntu 8.04 - no go, stupid thing crashes on the LiveCD. Tried text-based install, installed fine, as soon as it his the login screen, it crashed.

7.04 and 7.10 are rock solid, both LiveCD and once installed. HOWEVER...

I couldn't seem to get the MythTV frontend actually playing TV. I needed to install MythTV 0.21 to be compatible with my backend server version, so had to install the newer version that's in the "backports" repo. That seemed to work, but was not showing any video. I tried a stack of options, it seemed to keep failing when trying to utilise XvMC (which it needs for the hardware decoding) and falling back to OpenGL, so that sucked.

Anyway I gave up on that for now, had a fair few spare hours today, so I decided to try minimyth. This gets a bit complex, but I decided to do the network boot option (no local storage at all, not even CDROM or USB key). I had to setup the PXE DHCP options on my router, install PXE and TFTP servers on my backend box, stuff around with the minimyth.conf file including working around a bug that wasn't documented anywhere..................BUT IT WORKS! Yes, it plays SD TV channels flawlessly, perfectly smooth (oh, and the CPU sits on 25% while doing it). HDTV channels, stutter a bit, just not quite up to the task.

Downside is that it doesn't really cope with de-interlacing too well. I've currently got it using "one field" as the primary, and "none" as the backup/secondary option.

Also, the network booting setup is bloody slow. However it's kind of interesting that it works, because it means I could throw any old system with no HDD or anything on the network, and assuming its NIC supports PXE booting, it'll boot and play TV and recordings from the backend.

Anyway I shall investigate setting up minimyth down the track a little possibly using an IDE->CF adapter and a CF card, or possibly a USB key.

3. slobber

slobber Member

Thanks for the feedback phreeky82 :thumbup:

I just tried to install mythbuntu 8.10 onto one of my machines :sick: :thumbdn:

I wish I had half an idea using Linux :(

4. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

lol..... you are a glutton for punishment slobber :)

Cheers

Z

5. covert

covert Member

Nice work on the minimyth system phreeky82. I want to play around with network booting myself.

Does it matter if it take a long time to boot up ? No HD noise, Great for a room you want to keep quiet.

Got a apple TV myself for a MythFE I am working on.

6. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

By "long time", it's really quite substantial. I haven't measured it, but even the slowest POS PC booting into WinXP or something is much faster. With the use of the cache location for scaled theme images it might be more livable I suppose.

7. covert

covert Member

If you left it on all the time, then a long boot up time should not be an issue except for the odd restart. I have seen some network boot devices boot up and it does seem like an eternity.

8. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

With one system in the house already on 24/7, I'm trying to avoid another. Sleep mode might work ok.

I do have another dilemma now though - I don't really have a use for it! :) It was going to be my NAS and MP3 playing 24/7 system, but I ended up getting a more powerful system and combining with HTPC duties. Oh well, I'll think of something I guess.

9. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

Quick question guys, is the c3 processor x 1gb ram enough to handle a software RAID5 (using Damn Small Linux ) for streaming HD to 1 or 2 pc's?

10. Pipster

Pipster Member

:D ive got a mate who is the guy that sells em on ebay :D his house is awesome! :p they are everywhere!

they are great boards tho, the 800mhz isnt as good, but the 1ghz is awesome

11. Ch4iS

Ch4iS Member

Hmm, where does he live so I can take a look and get some samples :D

12. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

I've got a couple of these left lying around, whaddaya reckon they're worth these days?

13. crag_v

crag_v Member

Depends what people are offering, I guess.

I could be tempted into a purchase for the right price, but also have no idea what they're worth. Will keep an eye on this thread, I guess!

14. snowman

snowman Member

I also may be interested in one of these for a good price - I'm trying to build a NAS for myself

15. bYrd

bYrd Member

Considering you can pick up the Intel Mini-ITX atom core motherboard for ~ $120, I'd say these are worth $25 - 40 tops. Still great little boards, and reliable, and definately use much less power than an Atom ITX board.

JB

16. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Yeah I was thinking $30-40, plus $20 or so for a little PSU to suit... ta, will have a think about offloading them.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  17. snowman

snowman Member

If you decide to offload some around $30-$40, gimme a yell - i'd be interested! Thanks :)

18. hollstar

hollstar Member

Covert I noticed you mentioned an Apple TV set up in the members list of hardware and have previously made comments the SD content has worked well for you without issues. My question is have you considered replacing the Wifi with one of those Broadcom Crystal HD cards?

19. Director FLoPs

Director FLoPs New Member

Is the Via/Cyrix C3 powerful enough to perform software RAID-5 at X Mbps?

I think it will handle the streaming fine, as 40 Mbps is still only 5 MB/sec which is nothing to any chipset with DMA -or better- support. In PIO Mode 4 or less it would suck, but so would the latest Extreme Edition system.

The actual decoding will be performed by the 'end' system CPU and/or video card.

Think about it some more, check Silent PC Review, etc perhaps?

Your main concern is really: 'Is the Via/Cyrix C3 powerful enough to perform RAID-5 reads across X drives (more X = more CPU time) when running DSL?'

I am quite certain that the answer to that question is yes. I just wanted to explain my logic a little.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2011
  20. aza2001

aza2001 Member

hey guys,

just wanted to find out some more info about these boards... the ebay link is not working anymore?

cheers,
    Aza