Great deal on ebay for a mini-ITX

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Cannula, Oct 21, 2007.

1. gizmo_melb

gizmo_melb (Banned or Deleted)

will swap some DDR RAM for one if you want? I'm sure I've got some 512MB DDR and maybe some 1GB DDRs 'spare'.

2. figrin

figrin Member

I have both the Intel D201GLY and a Via epia board. Trust me, after a while it is worth that extra $50 to get the faster processor from intel and if all the extra features on GLY2 are true, it is a winner.

Plus you are comparing new products to 2nd hand.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  3. Imitation

Imitation Member

The original boards were 2nd hand right? But those current on eBay are brand new.

4. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

i really cant imagine a box using more than 60W, especially if u dont have cdrom and only use laptop hdd.

i have a c2d running 3.0ghz on g31 mobo and the system uses 60-65W, peak 90W (probably on startup with cdrom etc spinning) thats include cdrom, hdd, cpu fan, 2x60mm fan, and power supply loss.

5. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

[EDIT: Congratulations on your 1000th post!]

The Ebay ones are effectively new. He's opened the boxes to test each board, that's all.

Really, for my purposes I don't see much point in getting the Intel one. It's faster, but I'm not likely to use that speed. It's got features like SATA, but I'm not likely to use those either. This will just be a super-basic, super-cheap box.

Apart from that, as far as I can tell the Intel board will require Windows XP or newer. I'm seriously considering turning the Via one into an old Windows 98SE box (with a Voodoo2 in the PCI slot); clearly this will require appropriate drivers.

Essentially, if you were building a PC which was actually designed as a replacement for a standard PC, the Intel board would undoubtedly be a much better option. If you're just after a low-cost system where performance is largely irrelevant, the Via seems fine.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  6. figrin

figrin Member

Thanks, only took me 6 years

You are right on that point, the SiS chipset support is crap. Took me ages to get it working in ubuntu. If only the intel boards use intel chipsets :rolleyes:

P.S. it is a mini-itx board, though the heatsink on the intel d201gly could be a problem for some cases

7. kogi

kogi Member

figrin

Are both either of those boards capable of divx/dvd playback?

I'm dreaming of an uber carpc

kogi

8. bYrd

bYrd Member

As an owner of an EPIA M10000 (same CPU I think 1ghz@1.2, and chipset), they're more than capable of DVD/DivX playback - see my PCDB, I use it as my home theatre box every day with no issues.

With regards to what to put in the single PCI slot, I sourced a Geforce 6200 PCI on eBay a while back, and it's given the system a huge boost in performance, enough to use MCE 2005 basically. PCI FX5200s and Radeon 9250s are also around, but I wanted to get the best I could to one day support a wide-screen display.

JB

9. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

thanks for suggestion, just picked up a 6200 on ebay. my zensonic divx player is dying and i want something that plays everything :)

10. bYrd

bYrd Member

Just had a look on eBay, there are heaps more (well, two in Oz) PCI 6200s on there now - a few months back nothing! :) For around $100 it's decently priced too.

Mine is a Jaton VIDEO-338PCI-DVI; nice small card with decent low-profile heatsink and fan.

JB

11. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  12. El.Sean

El.Sean Member

My board arrived ~1.15pm.

Seems pretty sweet running a KUbuntu LiveCD. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Anyone else got theirs?

13. Imitation

Imitation Member

Now the price for boards left on eBay seem to be hitting $60+ it doesn't seem like such a good deal. For another $40 you can go DDR2 and multiple SATA ports. Food for thought.

I am building a small box for torrent/routing + qos/downloading/file serving at my own home and will consider another cheap box for my parents place so I can use their dsl for remote downloads. Plus they are on Node so I can use their free content then take my laptop round when it's done.

14. SLATYE

Yes, this is definitely true. The Via boards were a great option at $20 (or ~$35 including postage). At $60 you'll probably end up spending about as much as you'd spend on the Intel one (due to the price difference between DDR and DDR2 RAM).

If the Intel boards were using Intel chipsets (even ancient ones like the i865G) then it'd be extremely hard to resist. Hopefully before long they'll at least drop SiS and move to Nvidia instead (Nvidia IGPs would be nice on a mini-ITX board).

15. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

did seller let you know when he sent it, or it just arrived?

16. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

i got mine today

DOA..:(

ill contact seller to issue a refund or exchange

not happy jan..:(

nice and small though

17. heist82

heist82 Member

mine havent arrived either :thumbdn:

18. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

well el.sean is in vic, same as seller. assuming he posted yesterday via registered post, people outside vic wont get it till tomorrow at earliest.

19. SLATYE

Yes, I certainly wouldn't be getting worried yet. If you paid by DD then your money probably only turned up yesterday. If you paid by one of the instant methods (PayPal or credit card) then it's still not exactly unusual for AusPost to take quite a few days to get packages between cities. I've waited a week for an item to go from Canberra to Sydney before.

20. slobber

slobber Member

Bad luck WooKiE, I hope mine gets here OK, ordered/paid for on the 21st by DD