Great deal on ebay for a mini-ITX

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Cannula, Oct 21, 2007.

1. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

The Geforce 6200 is probably the best you'll get. I think there was a PCI 6600 too, but they'd be ridiculously rare. It doesn't really matter anyway - the Via will offer performance somewhere between a PIII 500MHz and a PIII 1GHz, so it'll probably bottleneck even the 6200.

2. OP
    OP
    Cannula

Cannula Member

Just gave DVD and Divx playback a go with MPC, off the laptop DVD burner playback sits in the 60%s and when alt+tabing, switching to task manager, seeking further etc goes it up to the low 80%s. Playing back off the laptop HDD I get up to 10% lower, and unfortunately I don't currently have a USB laptop drive to test.
    So it looks like as long as I give it one job at a time it can do it. I will not be getting a PCI video card for it as it proved to me it can do the most demanding video tasks that I want it for and without frame loss, awaiting USB HDD playback though.
    This is all run at the 8x multi but after a better cooler mine will be set to 9x for 1.2GHz.
    It is idling at 51 at stock at the moment so I've been looking at NB coolers that could be used instead.
    I found this review which shows the little Zalman ZM-NBF47 weighing only 57g edge out the Thermalright HR-05 weighting 145g, which is what I was considering depending on case height. I've seen them on staticice for under $10 which is a bargin.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  3. SLATYE

That's odd. I thought the CLE266 has built-in hardware DVD decoding.

That is a pretty good price. The only reason I liked the HR-05 was that it's got space for a fan too - but I might have to get an NBF-47 and just see how that goes. If it gets too hot the NBF-47 can always go on the chipset instead.

I guess with the NBF-47 you'd want somewhat decent case ventilation - if you're using a case with an external PSU, there'll need to be at least one reasonably large case fan to keep everything else cool.

On the topic of cases, this one looks like it could be reasonable. It's actually a flex-ATX case so it's a bit bigger than the mini-ITX ones - but still smaller than mATX. It's got what is supposed to be a 200w PSU. I have my doubts about that, but I'll be highly impressed if anyone can make a Via-based mini-ITX system get anywhere close to that sort of power draw.

4. slobber

slobber Member

That case is now showing as removed @ AusPC Market ??

How were these delivered ??, do they have a tracking number ??

5. SLATYE

That was just because I got the link wrong. It's fixed now.

Just regular post, so no tracking number.

6. dicer

dicer Member

It does :Paranoid:

I'd be interested in that case if I didn't already have an Antec Aria HTPC. I'm more interested in something half that height - have a 64mb ide flash module on which I could run dos+abandonware or linux =) I'll have to find out if I can install any OS's on a USB key (other than Bart/Win PE which i still need to tinker with and test on the via).

7. slobber

slobber Member

Thanks SLATYE

I much prefer the Morex 3688 :thumbup:

Arr dang no expansion cards with this case

8. SLATYE

That looks like a nice case too, although more expensive (and it'll need laptop drives). The biggest problem for me is that it doesn't appear to have any space available for a PCI card. That said, it may well be one of the smallest mini-ITX cases available.

On a completely different topic, are these using the old Ezra cores or the much newer Nehemiah? I'd check my one, but that would mean installing Windows and CPU-Z.

9. El.Sean

El.Sean Member

I tried running CPUz under wine in ubuntu, after taking about 1/2 hour to start (wtf?), the only thing that showed up was the fact its a Nehemiah core at 1ghz. :thumbup:

Oh and the cache sizes of 64k each.

So it plays DVD and divx acceptably under windows? Must be something about ubuntu and the flash vids used by youtube it doesn't like.

edirt: yep just installed windows and divx plays perfectly. orsm. :D

10. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  11. OP
    OP
    Cannula

Cannula Member

I have bought a CF to ide dual card converter and when it arrives will buy a 40MB/s 4GB CF card and see how it plays with that. If all is good and CPU utilization isn't compromised I'll buy another 4GB for it, and a USB2 wireless dongle for web surfing.
    Googled Nehemiah and PC1500 and came up with alot of sites verifying that it is a Nehemiah including this one.
    As for DVD harware playback, I have only tried using MPC and some DVD's go up to the 80s for CPU utilization, but still there are no frames skipped. MY install is only a mock install to see what it can do for now so I wil try a few other common DVD playback progs today. :thumbup:
    The Venus 669 looks almost exactly like a miniQ P4 case but obvisouly shorter, more after something like the Morex 3688 personally to show just how small it is and so I can pop it in the car if I so desire. I already have a lappy DVD burner and wont be using the PCI slot too. ;)
    Looking in ther review the 3688 has a 62.4W external brick and uses a 6cm fan directed onto the CPU, perfect for the Zalman NB cooler.

12. dicer

dicer Member

Being a gigabyte made board the ctrl + f1 in bios works, unlocks RAM timings. I think most DDR should suppport 2-2-2-5-1T @ 266MHz ? Well my Kingston DDR266 stick doesn't seem to mind :)
    edit: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=259985
    1470MHz :D

13. slobber

slobber Member

Good stuff dicer :thumbup:

Cant go having 'stock' cores now can we :D

14. OP
    OP
    Cannula

Cannula Member

Unreal thanks for that. :thumbup:
    Also the board seems very compatible with DDR 400 RAM, (I guess it should anyway since it was made last year going off the default BIOS date).
    I've used generic, BH5, and D43s, all flawlessly. ;)
    I just installed Q3A for a joke and it plays at default settings, seems about the speed of a TnT card. LOL! Still very impressed especially since I was wondering if it could do MAME with the old classics; Pacman, Shinobi, SF2, MK3, etc. Time to install MAME and play on the Plasma. :leet:

15. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

i sent my board back, got email today saying he recieved it

he is gonna send me a replacement monday..:D

im making a custom case for this....ill put it up in the modding section when its completed, it willl be my first case mod...:D

16. SLATYE

I've just realised that the board doesn't have a FDD connector. I guess nobody really needs them any more, but it would have been a nice feature (especially since the board is so good for use with old operating systems).

Unfortunately I've got exams for the next two weeks, so building the new system will have to wait until after they're finished.

I'm not sure whether MPC uses any hardware decoders. It might be worth testing with PowerDVD instead.

17. yorky

yorky Member

USB floppy would have to be used I guess, or if you can stick to thumb drives even better :)

18. El.Sean

El.Sean Member

I gave PowerDVD a run through last night, it ran awesomely. I'm very impressed with this board.

Auctions and buy it nows on ebay seem to be going for around 70-80 including post. If only I'd thought to get 2 of them. :upset:

19. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

so

this motherboard does overclock? thats good might get some aftermarket cooling..:D

has anyone tryed HD movies? on the onboard?

20. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

i gave superpi 1M a run, finished in 9mins something...

i would have expected maybe 3-4 minutes (ie 10 times slower than 3ghz c2d) but not same speed that a 100mhz c2d would do it in :o