Great news for Intel Overclockers! (New overclocker protection plan!)

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Madengineer, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Check out this article on Gizmodo.com, Intel now has an overclocker protection plan! Burn up those CPUs without any worry

This sounds like abit of a money pit to me. Somebodys CPU dies, they'll blame it on that. But i suppose it doesnt happen often anyway.

Although as alot of people know, its hard to tell the difference between an OC that has killed a chip, and standard use. It takes quite abit of damage to leave proof of a failed OC.

So will it be any different with how warranty already is? I also see this as kind of pointless, yes, they will protect the CPU, but what if the CPU takes the motherboard with it?

Intel are telling you to go right ahead and OC to your hearts content, but i wonder if the motherboard manufacturers would agree with that?

Another point, shouldnt this kind of warranty be offered in the price of the CPU?

You pay more for a 2500k then you would a 2500.....

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. Chaffe

Chaffe Member

There are alot of potential reasons why intel might try something like this.

My suspicion is that because a lot of SB processors have died from OCing; intel haven't figured out a way to determine how the chips have died and so there looking to recoup some losses.

Marketing may looking to win over some AMD fanbois (it's a pretty good time to be trying).

This also could be a dodgey attempt by intel to charge customers for warranty service (illegal?).

3. congoh

congoh Member

4. uaeB

uaeB Member

Noobs + UEFI + cheap chip replacement = alot of burning computers

5. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

6. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

That was my thought. I bought a 2600 because I'm not interested in paying the overclocking tax on the 2600K.

7. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

"Standard use" doesn't kill Intel chips. They're far and away the most reliable electronic part of a PC.

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

Heck even with moderate overclocks (not talking 'benching for records' type overclocks, but the 24x7 stable type), my experience is the CPU will outlast it's usefulness.

9. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Theres always a chance of frying the CPU without having to OC it. Through negligence or fault.

10. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

I've never killed a CPU before and all my chip's have either overclocked/de-IHS'ed/physically modded with pencil/conductive ink + crayon.

I've had many, PSU's, GFX, Mobos, RAM, Mice, HDD's, Fans and Monitors fail. But never a CPU.

11. Geno

Geno Member

+1, though I cant believe it.

12. IMtech

IMtech (Banned or Deleted)

+1 too... Seems unbelievable does it? Never killed a CPU before either... Touch wood! :lol: :leet:

I'm thinking Intel's quality control may have gone down by too much, or they can't get decent yields/selling malfunctioning chips... Otherwise why would they start offering this now? :confused:

This is strange...

13. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

ey?

That makes no sense, CPU were never covered under warranty when OCed. At stock settings the CPU are guaranteed to run at stated speeds.

I think this is something Intel is doing to stop all the whining people that killed their CPU because they ran too much juice through it.

14. t8y

t8y Member

i've had a few failures the past year.
    4 chips, only one was an actual overclock related death though (dodgy mobos to blame for the others)

i had no issues doing RMA on any of them

tip: they cant (dont?) really have any way check a dead CPU. as long as its not physically damaged of course.
    it may go against some peoples morals to say "yes i only used stock cooler" and "the ram was 1333mhz and 1.5v", though....

but i dont think these plans are targeted at the typical hardware enthusiast either way, more those with a "fear of breaking something"

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012