Great Storm Photo

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by thommo101, Dec 28, 2004.

1. thommo101

thommo101 Member

It was a bit spur of the moment last night in good ole bunno. A big thunderstorm had rolled in, a nice muggy night (still about 30 degrees!)

So I thought, what the hell and grabbed my new toy (S5500) and my sister and we headed out to the beach so I could try out the manual mode of my camera!

The very first photo I took was the best photo of the night. Thus proving often a big part of photography is luck! I just plonked the camera on a pine fence post, set it to 15 seconds shutter, F2.9, manual focus to infinity and pushed the button!

This is the result straight out of the camera... (link below for full size)

[​IMG]
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~rjthomson/photo/ocau/DSCF0761.JPG

Obviously I should level the horizon, maybe reduce the contrast a bit (a bit over exposed from damn flood light!)

But other than that.. i think its a pearler!!!

What about everyone else?

Rod

p.s. I did get quite a few other shots, but none quite like that... what I do know now is that I need to buy a tripod! would be a lot easier than tryign to find a post or brick wall :D

2. FOTW

FOTW Member

What a mad photo nice shot. I wanted to take a few photos last night here in perth but was to lazy.

3. geelongfan

geelongfan Member

nice photo!
    can u tell me what 15 seconds shutter does??
    ima n00b..

does the camera just take the photo for 15 seconds?
    so u get all the lightning strikes in that 15 seconds?

4. Dinuc

Dinuc Member

The shutter speed is the length of time the camera takes the photo for.
    In this case the camera was 'looking' for 15 seconds.

Awesome shot too !

Dna

5. OP
    OP
    thommo101

thommo101 Member

all I can say is, thank god my 512MB card arrived on Friday :p it was very much a case of repeatedly pressing the shutter.. wait 10 secs, press it again... only 1 in 2 had lightning.. only 1 in 10 were good lightning shots. Took nearly 130 'photos' :)

Quite impressed with what my $500 camera can do!

Geelongfan: With the shutter open for 15 seconds, it essentially records all teh light hitting the sensor within the 15 seconds. Thats why the rocks are very bright and in clear view. There was a somewhat dim flood light facing them, but the dim light was added up over the 15 seconds to make it bright. The lighting.. well.. we all know how bright it is, hence only needed the time of the strike to record the light its that bright (does anyone know if this intensity can damage a CCD? I dont think so.. as my camera appears fine :p)

What about the idiot fishing :p prolly a nice conductive graphite fishing rod too!

Rod

6. petal666

petal666 Member

Oh no, don't go out in the lighting, you'll die. Give me (and him) a break. :rolleyes:

7. Kow

Kow Member

Argh i missed the one in brisbane last night by a few minutes didnt get time to setup before it started to hammer down rain. Next time i'll get that bugger :D . Nice photo of the lightning . May wan't to crop a bit of the land out for more effect :) but i really like the way the bolt and the reflection turned out :)

8. IXUS430

IXUS430 (Banned or Deleted)

Hey

Awesome photo! nice when you get to capture those moments!

Heres, my little take on it, as its what i would do to it, not what all would like mind! :)

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!

Looking forward to getting some photos like that myself!

9. Slug69

Slug69 Member

A fantastic photo, and your self critique was good too.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

I like the straigtness of the main fork for me, I don't thing I have seen such symettry from a storm shot.

Good work.

10. Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle Member

What setting is the best for night shots such as this? (Lightning, Moon, fireworks etc.)

11. petal666

petal666 Member

I'd say it is still the same as last time that was asked, ISO100 f8-11

12. Lord Grengis

Lord Grengis Member

awesome picture - i gotta school up on my camera

lol at the dude still fishing

13. Big G.I

Big G.I Member

I think the dood fishing was great for the pic, it provided a sense of scale. It also provided a bit of a story, note the conversation here that it generates.

Damn Tasmania, we had a storm here in hobart, poured for 5 mins, couple of claps of thunder. Tassie (@ least Hobart) sux for storms. :(

14. FB008

FB008 Member

nice shot indeed :thumbup:

15. ewok85

ewok85 Member

I normally set mine to 10sec shutter and then into some kind of auto mode where it will shoot one after the other until the card is full, great for storms because you miss very little, just need to hope that the camera is aimed the right way!

16. OP
    OP
    thommo101

thommo101 Member

Thanks for the kind words guys..

as mentioned above.. the shot was really just a fluke.. i mean.. i knew i wanted a longer shutter speed in order to have a decent chance of a lightning strike.. and luckily i remembered to focus it to infinity before hitting 'go'. The apeture was at 2.8 if i remember correctly. Prolly best if it were smaller.. but.. hey.. it was a fluke.. first shot of the night and the best!

If you are out trying some photos.. then just play around! its digital.. the 'film' costs nothing to be developed. And you can see the results immediately... so just play around... ohhh.. and stay pointed at the same spot for ages.. as I found as soon as i pointed the camera somewhere else, the best lightning strike EVER happened at where the camera was previously pointed!

Rod

17. V8R

V8R Member

sweet shot, mate, good colour and very fortunate on the light. i really need to get a decent digicam :( my old DC3200 kodak just doesnt cut it for any sort of action shot.

18. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Thats fantastic, I haven't tried taking any lightning photos since I got my Dx6440, apparently its capable, just haven't tried. Besides that one, has anyone else had any luck with digital cameras and lightning, or should I go back to my Canon AE-1 for thank kind of stuff?

Q.