"Green" HHD's bad idea for NAS?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by swan14, Mar 22, 2011.

1. swan14

swan14 Member

I going to buy a ready made NAS.... either a Qnap or Synology (haven't decided yet).

Not sure what type of drives to get for them??

Was thinking getting a couple of the 5,400rpm drives as performance isn't a bid deal for me anymore.

But I 've heard they are not a good idea for a NAS

Therefore what is recommended by my fellow trusted OCAU members?

2. money_killer

money_killer Member

im running seagate 2TB's in my qnap no issues.

3. OP
    OP
    swan14

swan14 Member

Cool yeh, I can't remember if it said just the WD Green's or all green HHD's....

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They seem to power down in my rig (which can be annoying at times), not sure if this is a setting I can change, I have seen something about it in power settings.

5. cmasseyau

cmasseyau Member

I've got 4 x 2tb seagates in mine with no real issues but 1 just died which I am currently waiting for the warranty replacement.

The cost saving for the green drives it wouldn't hurt getting a spare just in case this happens, wish I had :(

The performance difference is minimal from all accounts I have researched, but do not know first hand.

6. PANZERAMD

PANZERAMD Member

I have both a WD Green 2TB and a Seagate LP 2TB in Atom D510 based NAS running FreeNAS, They both work well with out any problems at all. I don't have any knowledge of the Pre-built drives though, I doubt they would cause a problem.

Just to point out some things with these drives for you.

1. WD Green Drives are actually 7200 RPM drives which are slowed to 5400 RPM; with WD's site noting a rotational speed of 5400-7200 RPM.

2. The Seagate LP drives don't support Advanced Format, at least with the one I have, and in use with FreeNAS.

Mr Chilled : It sounds like Advanced Power Management is enabled and is set to Spindown. It is apparently part of SMART, you should be able to change it to one of the other settings or disabled it completly.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  7. samo

samo Member

from what i have read on the QNAP, Synology and Thecus websites it seems as though they have added 4k support to most of their devices via firmware updates.

Most green drives these days are 4k.

8. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Just use the wdidle3 utility on any GP drive from WD and you will be fine. That stops the load reload cycle that can kill some drives.

Also get the QNAP. Its a fucking amazing device.