Green Tea

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Pirki, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Pirki

Pirki Member

I love the green tea served at Asian Restuarants.

Any ideas on what brands are similar?
    Im not a fan of flavoured tea..

I have tried the some of the bag tea from the asian shops but they are not really that good. By that i mean strong and "Thick" for to speak.
    So far i have tried a Japanese brand and Chinese one.

Any ideas? If i get loose leaf tea what should i look for?

2. Mr Snrub

Mr Snrub Member

From my experiene the green tea served in asian restaurants is acutally jasmine (green) tea, which is just green tea infused with the flavour of the jasmine flower. Mmm tasty.

3. Bearz

Bearz Member

I like the ones served in Korean/some Japanese restaurants which is light and has a nice smokey "rice" aroma. You can find it in most asian shops, it comes in teabags or loose. The loose ones have distinctive pieces popped rice in it (like popcorn but smaller).

4. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh chinese restaurant use Jasmine tea if you order green tea. Japanese green tea is different. Jasmine is a lot more aromatic than Japanese Green Tea.

5. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I'm def a bigger fan of the jasmine green teas. We brought a bunch back from China this year. Still goin strong... And you can get a lot of cups out of jsut a few little balls.

6. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Like rice bubbles. :D

7. OP
    OP
    Pirki

Pirki Member

Hmm so it is jasmine infused green tea..

8. scon

scon Member

Also, if you're making it in a pot (and you should) once all the tea is good, refill the pot with hot water... the second filling generally makes better cups of tea than the first.

9. Subcommandante

Subcommandante Member

Surely there is gourmet tea shop somewhere in Sydney?

I like little pearls, often called Dragon eyes. Put a few in a cup and when they bloom take them out and swig away.

If you find it too strong, try drinking with eating. Green tea is notorious for opening up your stomach.

10. OP
    OP
    Pirki

Pirki Member

11. Subcommandante

Subcommandante Member

Righto looks like the go.

Try and get the small pearls, about half the size of a 5c piece.

It might also be worthwhile trying white tea. This is the same as green and black tea, just not dried to the same extent. Has about 10x the antioxidants of green tea and about 50x that of black tea, it really gives you a KABOOM!

12. 18t

18t Member

13. na1lbomb

na1lbomb Member

Yeah, another vote for green tea with jasmine. U can buy it in your average woolies store, and its very tasty.

Nails

*edit* Yeah what 18T said! The Dilmah teabags are great.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  14. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

If you are after the japanese green tea, don't buy huge quantities unless you drink them fast. The reason japanese green tea has such a delicate flavour is because they don't dry out the tea leaves. If you look the proper green tea leaves, the leaves are actually GREEN because they're fresh. If you buy a big bag and don't drink it within a few months, they dry out and turn a greeny browney colour. The flavour changes and just tastes like normal chinese green tea. I would get small vacum sealed packs, they stay "fresher" for longer. the loose packed ones tend to dryout quicker.

As for the jap tea with the rice bits, its called "gen mai cha" (spelling varies, not sure what the korean version is called) and has brown roasted rice bits or popped rice bits in them. MmmMmmm its like tea with popcorn!

15. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

When I was younger, I went through a short chinese tea brewing technique lesson with my parents (Aka: Kung Fu Tea). Learn some good tips on making good chinese tea. :D

(I'm trying to remember this from 20 yrs ago so if i'm wrong pls point it out to me. :D)
    First off there are 2 pots to a proper set. A bigger and a smaller one. And around 4-6 cups usually. Then you'll need some hot water obviously. Lastly you'll need somewhere that you can drain water into. There are special bases made for this purpose that you can buy from shops. Much like a very broad (~40cm diameter x 10cm high) round bucket, with a lid that has holes to drain water into the bucket.
    Steps
    1. Arrange the tea cups upside down around the 2 teapots.

2. Fill the bigger tea pot with hot water. Swirl it around and pour the hot water into the smaller tea pot. Swirl that around and pour hot water on to the cups. (Essentially you've just wrinse the set)

3. Place about 1.5 teaspoon heaps of your favourite chinese tea leaves into the bigger pot.

4. Fill bigger pot til it's about 80% full. Wait about 1 second and pour the fresh tea into the smaller pot.

5. Swirl tea in smaller pot and pour tea into cups filling them all. Then drain tea from cup. (Again, we're only washing the cups)

6. Pour hot water into big pot again, wait around 3-4 seconds, then pour content into the smaller pot again.

7. Immediately serve the tea from smaller pot into cups and enjoy. :)

8. Repeat step 6 and 7 until tea leaves is too bland then change leaves and start from step 3 again.

The idea is to have a consistant flavour each time and not have the tea get stronger as time passes by (like we do in restaurants). The tea will taste better for longer. Also it impresses people. I used to perform this for friends etc. Occasionally i still do it. :D

16. bluedreamer

bluedreamer Member

You're kinda skimping on one of the most important parts of that. You don't just swirl in order to rinse the thing, you want to warm up your teapot, so you want to swirl your smaller teapot long enough so that you can actually feel the warmth on the outside of teapot. And the rinse with hot water and your second rinse with tea, well I'm used to rinsing straight up with the tea once, provided theres enough swirlage to warm up the teapot. You want your teapot as warm/hot as possible, so after you've swirled, instead of pouring it away, pour it over the teapot itself. Oh yes it gets messy so I gave up trying to do it at work. A tea tray would come in handy.

17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh, thanks for the correction. Like i said, it was 20 yrs ago when i learn it. :D

Although pouring the hot tea and hot water over the 2nd pot twice will pretty much get it to that temperature anyway. The pots are really thin.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  18. SyN

SyN Member

lipton green tea bags are actually quite good

19. Critical_Impact

Critical_Impact Member

Anyone else drink this, I started a couple of days ago, it's like crack, I friking cant get enough of the stuff, also it's really good for you so it's like epic :thumbup:

Post if you love Green Tea or any kind of Tea

20. Doofus

Doofus Member

I don't have it in the house because of it's "crack" factor.

I have a blend of green and black tea in the house which is very tasty.