Grill vs Hot Plate on the BBQ

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Sunder, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Gas BBQ is equipped with GrillGrates and gets used for quick barbies when I haven't prepared well. Charcoal Weber gets used for everything using reverse sear method for cut meats, smoking roasts, low and slow ribs etc....

Get a basket for veg if you want to cook over a grill and you don't lose anything.

Have spent a few years perfecting stuff using this site as a starter. It a great resource for recipes, techniques, myth busting articles based on science and equipment reviews.

2. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

I do not enjoy the charred flavor you get from the grill sections on a gas bbq. I do have grill sections on my bbq, but they get next to no use, and i would happily have an all cast iron plate bbq for 90% of my cooking, with a more powerful wok burner to the side.

when i lived in Europe cooking on a wire grill over brikettes or coals was the standard thing to do, but it is in no way comparable to cooking on a gas grill imo. I might get a webber / kamado down the track if i get more into slow & low or smoking.

3. Skramit

Skramit Member

Mind = blown. :shock::shock::shock:

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Might as well cook inside your house on your gas hotplate then.

5. Radley

Radley Member

I find griddle pans to be a total waste of time. I agree that the lines don't mean anything, but it does look cool when you pull off a great sear.

I do my onions in the BBQ but I just make a little foil boat for them to cook in. It's not rocket science.

6. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

don't have a gas hot plate. have not yet encountered a cast iron pan that is as good as my bbq surfaces after seasoning. heat retention and adjustment is far superior on the bbq. doesn't smoke the house out or heat the house up. spatter cleanup isn't an issue.

i'll happily cook over charcoal, but having it on my food is not something I aim for personally. the only time i do enjoy anything off the char grill is when it is very quick, like with sous-vide steaks. anything done from raw to med-rare or more on a char grill just tastes like half burnt firewood to me.

not a fan of the stainless plates, alu cookware, or even the various manufactured non-stick stuff anymore. though apparently for the response here, I'm a heathen.

7. NSanity

NSanity Member

Eh.

I've literally given up on Gas BBQ's because i don't think they represent a good value option. As you say - I can get the same flavour from my kitchen.

As far as cooking over coals though? thats the tits - and its a reason I have twice as many BBQ's as i do dogs.

Alu Cookware has its place - baking. Multi-ply cookware also is great in terms of high performance pots and fry pans - but overall I cook predominantly on my Cast Iron skillets.

8. Revenge

Revenge Member

My BBQ used to be the primary cooking method in our house till the Anova came along.. now the BBQ is used to pretty much add a quick char and nothing more... and even then, I am finding gas simply doesn't have sufficient heat to achieve my aims.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You must be great at parties :p

I think the essence of BBQ'ing is the grill part.

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

Gas is kinda crappy compared to charcoal

11. velcrochicken

velcrochicken Member

The hot plate is nothing like cooking inside in a crappy pan.

Years of built up flavor resides in that hot plate, its almost like a well seasoned wok.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

And your pan doesn't have years of food cooked on it either?

13. Foolio

Foolio Member

The fat drippings from the meat onto the charcoal and subsequent smoke creates unique flavors on the meat that a hot plate will not. The grill also creates pleasing charred grill marks which also give the meat a added flavor.

So grill>hot plate and charcoal>gas. That's why I bought a Weber!

14. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

yes, but a grill over coals or wood is incomparable to a gas grill.

I can not think of a single person I have ever met or regularly eat meals with, that actually cooks on a gas grill.

The only exception would be the recent resurgence of webber with their "q" series bbq's. I know two people with one, and one of them, wait for it, got the plate shortly after purchase.

It obviously comes down to preference. Many people "seek out" particular flavours more than others. For instance I almost never have sauce with my steak, the only exception being pepper steak. I find it is all too often used to cover poor cooking and low grade cuts.

15. Radley

Radley Member

What a load of rubbish. There is absolutely no way you can get the same results in the kitchen without direct open flame.

And yes charcoal is better, but it's not efficient for cooking a few steaks.

My Anova should be delivered Monday so I might try the afterburner method for the sear on a few sous vide steaks :)

Different flavours. Horses for courses too. Do you mean gas grill in the kitchen, such as what they have in restaurants, or a gas BBQ?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  16. Spork!

Spork! Member

Like many others in this thread - if it won't fall down between the bars I grill, with the exception of roasts. They go on the hot plate so the spuds / veg can get some rendered fat goodness.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

We aren't talking coals or wood though, they are quite different in taste.

18. Revenge

Revenge Member

Your life is about to change and BBQ's will adopt a completely different purpose for you from that day forward..
    Before Anova your BBQ was a device to cook with
    Post Anova... it is only there to char the outside of cooked meat.
    Nothing more... it is just a six burner blow torch

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You make it sound like the new coming of Christ :p

Had to look it up tbh.....looks like a nifty device.

20. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Raises hand... Most of our meat is now cooked on the Q, (even did Last years Xmas Turkey). we got a plate for it, because otherwise, we'd have to cook breakfast inside, but its only really used for eggs and pancakes.

A grill over coals or wood is fine when you've got the time, but when you come home to starving kids, the convenience of the gas grill outweighs almost everything else.