1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Kirkland? Tbh I've never heard of Kirkland at all :p I never discount until I try it but Quilton has never disappointed :cool:

2. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Kirkland is a costco brand.
    Sounds like there is a whole new world awaiting you MR CHILLED

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Indeed. That's why I haven't seen it. Would like to get into whole Costco world but don't really have one close enough to me.

4. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Neither do we. We're essentially smack bang in between Melbourne and Canberra here. We're going to Canberra this week and will do a stock up but can get stuff delivered as well. You get 48 270 sheet rolls delivered for $34, cheaper in store but I'm happy to buy that online to ensure I have it. Quilton doesn't come close IMO

5. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

My take on Costco: is most beneficial larger families who by name brand items. Similar or same name brand items can be purchased at a larger quantity for a similar price as the standard item at the supermarket.
    If you mainly buy home brand items and don’t need quantity buys the value really isn’t there.
    Also factor in the time and fuel travelling (although the fuel prices are bloody good) and annual fee.

6. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Found some toilet paper in Aldi last Friday, which was good as we were down to out last 2 rolls.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah that was my impression of it, more for bulk or larger item purchases. And that works fine for me, less I have to shop the better. Just be nice if they had one in my area.

8. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Was at my local Woolies the other day and noticed they now have two types of bananas. Green ones in a section that says 'good for 3-5 days' and yellow ones in a section that says 'good for up to 3 days'. I guess it could be looked upon as a good thing that they are helping the morons of this world to tell the difference between a green and a yellow banana, but charging $5.90 for green bananas and $3.90 for yellow is really taking the piss.

9. fnp

fnp Member

Mine has that too, except they all seem to be green. I don't think there's a difference in price, though.

They actually try to have them laid out from green to black, with a graphic along the whole stand telling you what you can use them for at each stage. Nice idea, except the bananas always seem to be under ripe.

10. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I don't really have an issue with them doing it, but I do think the price difference sucks.

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i just saw short cut bacon for $67 a kg... wtf?! is it laced with truffles and endangered animal scent?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  12. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

80% of pigs are in isolation due to covid.

13. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

I agree with you.

There's another benefit. Costco also has high quality beef cuts, including Wagyu at good prices.

Also have some foods you can't get elsewhere.

I'm not a member because it's too far from me, but occasionally get my family members to buy me some products.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I assume their meat prices will still be on par with the mainstreams?

15. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

Yes. But the good quality beef isn't sold at regular supermarkets and is cheaper than regular butchers.

16. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Not sure if this problem is Australia wide, but… my local Coles hasn’t been stocking Mexican cuisine items for many weeks, and tonight it was absolute barebones. I was lucky to find a jar of salsa :Paranoid:

17. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

That's odd. My woolies had the whole section full as normal last week. Might be some kind of local distributor issue.

18. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

My local had none a few weeks ago when the Elpaso range was on special but otherwise they've had shelf fulls of Mexican. It's sugar and milk that my store didn't have any of yesterday. Sugar has been out most of the week, but milk is a local delivery, so it was probably just a late delivery.

19. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

For some reason, can't find any hard taco shells that isn't Old El Paso from Woolies, Coles or Aldi.

No Mission or Woolies or Coles own brand.

Not a fan of Old El Paso, for some reason, I find a higher percentage of them broken than other brands.

And Old El Paso's Tortillas just suck. For some reason, they are the only brand that stick together.

20. fnp

fnp Member

For some odd reason eggs are in a serious shortage around me and have been for at least a month. Colesworth, Aldi, Spudshed, greengrocers, Asian supermarkets - all seem to be struggling to keep eggs on the shelf. Often they'll have nothing except dodgy packs that people have picked through already with broken eggs in them. I think one shop runs out then the next one along gets raided and so on, but it doesn't seem to be evening out. Maybe people can only afford eggs for protein now :lol: