1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Chicken prices going up. Even good old Aldi 1L margarine gone up from $1.69 to $2.32.

2. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

The marg we use has gone up 40c at Aldi, but the Coles equivalent went up 75c, must cost more to make Coles branded stuff.

3. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Supply seems to have straightened out... but pricing is all over the place. Woolies were selling normal beef mince at $20 a kg. I didn't even bother looking at the other meat items.

4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I suspect that perhaps a lot of global stock feed was coming out of Ukraine, that has since been hampered.

We’re working to reduce our family grocery bill by just focusing on cooking home made curries, soaking our own beans, making sauerkraut and buy the plant based meats on the cheap and freezing them.

Gotta be cautious hoarding grain, as all it takes is one Pantry Moth and your savings game is over.

5. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

The one that gets me is that capsicums have been up for a while now, ridiculous prices like $15a kilo for red capsicums, yet the "odd bunch" bags of them at Woolies have only gone up $1 per kilo and I can still buy a bag of ugly capsicums for $7.50 per kilo.

miicah and macktheknife like this.
  6. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Maybe the rain is making it harder to produce 'handsome' caps?

7. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

That sounds better than the supermarkets are ripping us off.

macktheknife likes this.
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

So far outside of not buying lamb these days we haven't really changed out habits. Maybe not buying a couple of things here and there but we've been largely able to absorb the much higher prices without much modification.....so far.

9. fnp

fnp Member

I haven't really bought lamb in years, at least here it's been bloody expensive for a very long time.

10. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Luckily my kids hate lamb. But we went to a wagyu restaurant on the weekend, and now they’ve gotten a taste of it and want it all the time

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

I buy most of my groceries these days through woolies (along with a couple of online butchers and stuff that I won't change). I have completely digital receipts so I was able to put them all together and start looking at what I buy the most of. Plan is to switch to Amazon and bulk for anything I buy regularly and is perishable. Also just look for cheaper alternatives, I buy fancy stuff on a whim so there's so easy carving out of overly pricing things to do.

Only downside is their formatting is bloody inconsistent on each invoice so it's taking a bit of cleaning. That and I pulled in my booze invoices and realised food is not my problem :Paranoid:. Through one company I spend a little over $2k on 66 bottles of wine. Time to bring back the $10 quaffer for me!

I planned on doing a full life budget, but some companies are a lot harder than others. Uber will send you more details than you want to know about how much they stalk you, Amazon and Ebay are a pain to get clean data out of. I really wish I could just pay some data harvesting company to give me my own data, to be honest.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    BurningFeetMan likes this.
  12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Was playing with MS SharePoint AI Form Automation the other day - looking for problems it might solve at work… but can see it being immediately useful for receipt digitisation and data extraction. Hmm, I might look a little deeper into this.

Phalanx likes this.
  13. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Never realised that spring onion cutoffs just continue to grow and grow when you put them in water. I’ve been trimming it, and cutting it, and putting them in the freezer. But damn, wondering what the hell I’m going to use all of it for?! (Besides spring onion pancake)

miicah, BurningFeetMan and Phalanx like this.
  14. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

They do grow better in dirt but yes you should get a decent crop out of them for 3 maybe 4 goes. After the third or fourth time they will keep growing but they loose flavour and often become woody.

supasaiyan likes this.
  15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Special treat but I have some prime Wagyu sitting in my fridge currently ready for eating. Will post pics before consumption :leet:

16. miicah

miicah Member

It's even between stores. Like I can go to one ALDI that has everything, but my local one can't even get tinned tomatoes or white vinegar. Either that or the vinegar is sold out because everyone in Brisbane needs to de-mould everything.

17. fnp

fnp Member

Eggs still seem to be in serious shortage around me - has been for a fair while now. Colesworth, Aldi, greengrocers, Asian markets, all the same.

18. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I haven't needed to buy vinegar (I don't use it for mould anyway), but you're right. My local Aldi has really only been down on stuff like noodles and jarred stuff, whereas Coles has been down on multiple things from frozen goods to dunny paper for the entire time. Woolies has had their moments but Coles definitely seems to be more effected over a wider range of things.

My local Aldi seems to have eggs each time I'm there but Coles really only has the cheapest Coles brand and they usually have ample 600's or 700's

19. ernie

ernie Member

The amount of money in global circulation has gone through the roof since 2020, see the chart below of the US example. That money was not distributed equally, so it takes time for the effects to be noticed.

More money in circulation means that all sorts of goods and services will increase in price, especially groceries end energy, people that had access to the newly created money will be able to afford the grocery price increases, people that did not have access will go hungry, combine that with a significant reduction in energy supply in Western countries, and it will most likely result in some sort of a population decline over time which should please the WEF.
    "Let them eat cake lentils"

- Ernie.

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 9.20.21 am.png

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    BurningFeetMan and adamsleath like this.
  20. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

sorry.
    lentils shortage.

ernie likes this.