1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Can't eat cake either, flour shortage because Putin wang dancing in
    Ukraine....

ernie likes this.
  2. heller44

heller44 Member

This, I don't understand. All of our eggs come from within the state, so what is the reason for limited supply? Transport hasn't been hit that hard to be the cause..

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

My guess would be the global price of grain. Why sell locally on the cheap when you could get top dollar internationally?

5. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

the worst bit is they'll use our money to buy grain to send to shit countries driving price up even more

6. ernie

ernie Member

I just learned today that the 20million tons of wheat that can't get out of Ukraine (because of the port blockade Ukraine's military set up on Feb 24th just before they mined the Black Sea), that 20million tons only represents 2.5% of the global annual wheat production(about 780mill). Not going to be a game changer.

Seems the global food shortages have been brewing since the start of the pandemic. Russia has 25million tons or wheat ready to ship, but port sanctions are preventing it. Officials from Africa are in Moscow atm. working on a way to obtain the Russian wheat.

Even though Australia has a poor wheat yield per hectare(approx 1.7tons), we have a LOT of hectares growing it ( Australian growers are forecast to plant 12.4 million hectares in 2022), so we wont have a supply problem. If our price goes up it will mainly be from fuel, and opportunistic increases. Australian wheat yield should improve as several new Potash production facilities come online this year. Which will help bypass the global fertilizer shortage.

- Ernie.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  7. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

"Oh how i'd really love to diet right now but the price of Lettice..." *inhales fried chicken* :weirdo:

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  8. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

That's if you can get lettuce. My local Coles has had a sign up all week saying that due to rain they can't supply lettuce.
    No idea if Woolies and Aldi are the same.

9. ernie

ernie Member

It's probably imported.

- Ernie.

10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

im growing it. (slowly)

but im getting sick of raddishes.

and lettuce leaves .

got a couple of banana trees we stole from a friend gunna be ages before they grow any nanas. do have green paw paw . and not much else. wrong season for snake beans and the cucs karked it too cold. spring time itll go ballistic though.

eggplant are growing and so are the okra. snow peas sugar snap peas - winter good for them. mint and basil and some other weeds.

AND DONT FORGET the CHOKO ! :lol:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  11. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I work for a place that grows hydroponic capsicums. In the last 6 months fertiliser has doubled in price, the growing medium has gone up 3x and has 12 months delay in supply and international freight is up 10x.

12. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

The question wasn't, why had capsicums gone up in price, it was how come the 'odd bunch' capsicums did not rise in price along with the good looking, sellable ones?
    I realise it's a Woolies issue not a growers issues but surely the odd bunch take just as much fertiliser and just as much transport, yet at the time the prices of the pre-bagged ugly capsicums were half the price of the ones people really wanted to buy and hadn't suffered the same price hike attributed to extra growing costs.

Do you work at the place at Longford?

13. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I wasn't really answering any question, just sharing some inside information on the industry.

The wholesale prices can fluctuate quite a bit by external factors such as the weather. If the field growers get good weather, they get bumper crops and flood the market, killing the price, but if they get rained out they can potentially get nothing and you're left with limited supply from the hydroponics greenhouse growers who get top dollar. Field growers have low overheads, a few people driving planting and harvesting tractors over massive fields, but they have the susceptibility to weather and a lot more variance in the end product. Hydroponic being all climate controlled and hand manicured plants that are planted and grow for 10 months continuously, and require 40+ full time workers to maintain and pick a 5ha crop, lots of overhead, but a reliable and constant product at the end of it.

The supermarkets have strict specifications on size, weight, colour, blemishes, softness and many other factors for produce, and anything that doesn't meet spec, they don't want it. The odd bunch will just have more relaxed specs on size and weight, and is an easy way to dump off your out of spec fruit, for a much lower price, that would normally go to a seconds market.

Despite what a lot of people say that they don't care about what their produce looks like, and they are happy with them looking odd, the supermarkets know that the vast majority of people do care a lot, via their own data, hence the strict specifications they have.

I don't know of any hydroponics in Longford, Google didn't show anything either. Our sites are in Warragul, Mansfield, Tatura and Katunga, and I'm based out of the Warragul site.

14. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I didn't know if the Longford (Covino) was hydroponic or not I just know that it's there and produces all sorts of things. Years ago, in another life, I used to talk to the drivers in the wee hours of the morning as our paths crossed on the road. I also didn't know there was fruit and veg processing plants at Warragul, I thought they were further into Sth Gippsland.

15. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Where do they import the sign from?

They probably import their signs too.

16. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

At least they aren't importing the rain!

qwertylesh likes this.
  17. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Supplies of Sherbert Cones have been less erratic lately, so all is well with the world!

die_piggy likes this.