1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I have always bought long life items on sale over the past few years. Love me a good $8 5kg bag of brown rice.

My poopin' paper reserves are getting far to light for my liking though... I will up my fibre in hope of more regular clean snaps.

2. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

To be fair though people have been stealing dunny rolls, soap, towels, anything they could get their hands on from motel rooms and what not for years. The only difference now is that motel owners have a listening audience ready to sympathise with them.

3. chook

chook Member

Very true. I suspect that given the possible supply chain issues that they might be having and the fact that it is hard in a motel/hotel situation to just tell the customer to use a tissue/whatever that the problem is more acute.

Had to pick my son up from work so swung by Aldi to see if they had restocked and got some chicken breast but on the whole the shelves were even barer than this morning. They were restocking where they could and everyone looked knackered. While it must be nice to get extra shifts I don't envy them the irate and irrational customers they must be dealing with on a minute by minute basis.

4. Hater

Hater Member

I just went to Supabarn, and everything was normal. So that's three normal supermarkets. I'm at my mums house, she's watching the ABC and it's all people being interviewed "oh my god there's an increase of shoppers on a Saturday" "oh coles have extended buying limits to more items"

Hmm.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

6. shino

shino Member

ON aBC news tonight Costco is lined up out the front.. one family member who doesn't read much thinks it's time to do what everyone is doing stock up and in case there no more food.. cause of the virus stoppage.. any counter arguments?

7. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

No.. You do what you think is best for you.

8. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

The counter argument was at the end of the same news clip where the person they were talking to was saying there is no reason to stock up because in Australia there is NO shortage of food.

9. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

It started with bog roll, and then it spread to any sort of liquid soaps. NOW it's spread to any sort of paper based product, any sort of soap, pasta and sauce, rice and noodles.
    We have MAY only 2 big supermarket players: Coles/Woolworths. Both around me are out of all the aforementioned products as of 8 this evening.
    BUT, there are also smaller supermarkets: (Foodworks, IGA and Aldi)
    I am surrounded by lots of them all (I'm in a smaller suburb between 2 bigger suburbs) colesworth are out of basically ALL the staples...
    Still stock at all of the smaller ones though. Can still get ALL the products at local stores, and 711.

THE PROBLEM is, the sports bodies and government have cancelled the F1, and having crowds at football and cricket games. AND now saying having crowds of 500 or more shouldn't be done (Unless religions want big congregations, because God's love will stop them getting infected of course)
    Tell the population they SHOULD panic and they fucking HAVE, and thus we have people fighting over fucking toilet paper. Like they've never had to wash a cloth with a bit of shit on it. [​IMG]

I actually started some panic buying myself tonight!
    I picked up a single block of old gold peppermint, and 2 2 litre bottles of Coke. By the time I'd made my way out of the isle, 5 more people had grabbed a bunch of coke (3+bottles).
    I do drink a lot of coke though, so will be getting more in 3-4 days. And if it's gone.. I CAN GET SOMETHING ELSE!

Next thing to be panic bought will be rope, so the people who run out of food can hang themselves when someone in their suburb gets the virus!

START BUYING ROPE NOW PEOPLE!!! [​IMG]

10. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Ordered a click and collect order as delivery spots for both colesworth were booked out for 3/4 days... ordered 2 steaks, got one. Ordered 4 tins of baked beans (ususal), got 1... no toilet paper, no tissues even though it was limited to 2 packs... ordered a 3 pack of paper towel, got a 2 pack instead. Reason, unable to supply...

There is a shortage... in that people are buying too much so the logistic chains are strained and suppliers are struggling to keep up.

JSmith

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think lesser priority is given to online than stocking shelves.

12. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I'm pretty sure either Coles or Woolies did release a statement in the last few days saying exactly that.

The shortage is common sense. It's not even a fault at the supply level, trucks are still rolling, producers are still producing and if people stopped over buying there would be food for everyone, that's the point the stores are trying to make. However it's like closing the gate after the bull has bolted. They were part of the problem, now they are sitting back and telling everyone not to overstock because it's difficult for them. If those same stores had taken action when this shit first went down the issue wouldn't be as bad.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Well here's your social media demographic split.

Twitter: typically younger, progressive, complaining that everyone panic-buying is an idiot.

Facebook: typically older, conservative, bragging about their hoarding, congratulating others on theirs.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/heal...share-extraordinary-stockpile-photos-c-744867

I've noticed lately the enormous correlation between things I find utterly stupid, and the phrase "Facebook mums".

14. magius

magius Member

15. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Thank you for re-affirming my thoughts that I'm missing absolutely nothing by not being on Twitter or FB.

I don't mind eating left overs most of the time, but opening the freezer and only seeing what looks like boxes of left overs would really make me feel like not eating. However some of tho pics of the stocked freezers probably wont look as good when the people realise those shelves wont unbend when the weight comes off them, or when Armageddon truly does hit and the power goes off and everything melts.

chook likes this.
  16. chook

chook Member

The problem here is broader. You get the echo chamber of stupidity that just magnifies as the echo gets louder in the chamber and then you get normally intelligent, young, new parents (not just the mother) who want to do the best thing by their new family member and these are the examples they see so immediately the pressure is on to do that or be a bad parent.

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That has little to do with the internet. Human nature is to gather in tribes of people who look the same, sound the same, think the same.

Very few people go out of their way to challenge their baselines or learn something new. And considering how plentiful free quality information is today, we're worse than ever at breaking out of our comfort zones in the search for valuable knowledge.

People are shit, and have always been shit. The internet is nothing more than a megaphone that amplifies the shit that has always been, faster than we were capable of without it. But taking it away doesn't solve the underlying problem.

18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

That's why I suggested it is due to the overbuying and the strain on the supply level is due to same.

JSmith

19. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I know I shouldn't have done it, but I couldn't help myself. We were at Woolies before lunch and my daughter and I were waiting at the end of the freezer aisle for my wife, the freezer aisle backs on to the dunny roll aisle. I stepped closer to the dunny roll aisle and said to my daughter loud enough for people around to hear but not too loud to be obvious, "They are bringing another pallet of dunny rolls out in ten minutes". Within a minute there was five people lined up behind us. Then when my wife came around the corner we just walked off without saying a word. I suppose I should give them credit for lining up and not pushing in front of me, but honestly I was just trying no to laugh at them.

Beanz, clonex and cvidler like this.
  20. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

housemate said his store did $240,000 yesterday. Christmas eve was $160,000