Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Not only is literally everyone selfish these days (including everyone here and myself), I think our population is way too high to allow for "Community support" as those very communities would then need to decide who misses out on important things.

I don't know about you but I'm not about to leave it up to some random community to decide if I get food, health care, toilet paper, whatever (in a hypothetical situation)

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Hand sanitiser and antibacterial agents have little to no affect against viruses in general, and in particular this virus (alcohol does somewhat, but not a huge amount).

Soap works really well, however, as it emulsifies the lipid (fatty acid) layer around the virus. This has two effects: firstly it psychically removes the virus from the surface of whatever you're cleaning, and secondly it breaks down the virus' protective barrier, which deactivates it. (Viruses aren't "alive", so you can't "kill" them. But you can deactivate and break down their RNA).

Apologies to Reaper for the Twitter link, but here's a professor of chemistry from UNSW explaining why soap works:
    https://twitter.com/PalliThordarson/status/1236549305189597189?s=19

No need to stockpile hand sanitiser and antibacterial items. And it's not useless in general. Staying healthy and avoiding bacterial infection is important all year around. But it won't create a magical barrier to protect you from COVID-19.

As for masks, better to prioritise those to medical staff treating people, and not sitting in prepper cupboards. The people on the front line need it far more than we do.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    oculi and chook like this.
  3. chook

chook Member

Thank-you.

I will reiterate, if people just went about their normal resupply cycle there would be no problems.

Lupuscrux, Reaper, Revenge and 2 others like this.
  4. cvidler

cvidler Member

fucked if I'm going out fighting zombies with a scratchy t-shirt on.

clonex and elvis like this.
  5. Beanz

Beanz Member

Tuesday?! Nope! Today there was no meat and the vegies were very, very low at a local Woolies.

josh_676 likes this.
  6. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

It's a great time to be in the supermarket business

Beanz likes this.
  7. Hater

Hater Member

Coles had absolutely zero pre-packed meats. I had to go to the *gasp* deli to get some chicken breast fillets, where stocks were a-plenty.

People are stupid.

Beanz likes this.
  8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I would honestly not be surprised if some people saw the empty meat section in coles, then stormed off to another coles, walking straight past the deli section, and then past the butcher outside on their way

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm going to need a source for that.

While hand washing is very effective, you can't do this if you aren't near a tap, for this you need hand sanitiser.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  10. elvis

Read the rest of the post. I posted a source, if you'd bother to keep reading.

Here's the same article posted to The Guardian a few days later. Same author: a professor of chemistry from UNSW:
    https://www.theguardian.com/comment...kills-coronavirus-alcohol-based-disinfectants

I don't disagree that hand washing isn't always convenient. But you need to find an alternative that works effectively, rather than just makes you feel better about doing something.

I mean, keep a crystal in your pocket for positive energy if it also makes you feel better. But it won't help either. Likewise anti fungal treatments, antibiotics, steroids and medical leeches won't help either.

COVID-19 is a virus, not bacteria. Google the difference if you like.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  11. Beanz

Beanz Member

I agree, but in this case - The deli was empty too (of chicken thigh/fillet) because that's exactly where I went.

12. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

That's incorrect to a point elvis. CDC listed disinfectants are very effective against enveloped viruses, of which covid-19 is as such for the exact reasons you pointed out - alcohol specifically denatures lipids and will destroy covid-19. It's the non enveloped lot that are resistant to as such. Soap and effective hand hygiene however, as you also pointed out, is damn near always effective when used effectively.

The most opportune time to wash your hands and avoid covid-19 for the majority of people is before handing any form of food and associated surfaces - preparation, utensils, cleaning, eating, etc. The rest of common sense.

Reaper likes this.
  13. xplod140

xplod140 Member

So steroids like ventolin aren't going to help me breathe any better?

14. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

Salbutamol isn't a steriod, it's a beta2 agonist, aka broncodilator. They relax your airways, making it easier to breathe for a short time. It is effective for any person in respiratory distress - they will ease symptoms and allow you to effectively clear your airways, more importantly (IMO), you can focus on your breathing and reduce your stress and heart rate.. They are best used in conjunction with a form of steroidal therapy if you are acutely unwell..

Antibiotics will have their place. Those with an viral pnuemonia also tend to end up with bacterial pneumonia, usually from aspirating nasal secretions that are loaded right full of bacteria. It's when you get these two combined that you're in for a wonderful time.

15. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

16. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

got copper door handles, sinks, benchtops ect: ?

17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

No I read, it, and I've just read it again.

I don't see anything mentioned that resembles anything you have posted about it having "little to no affect"

So please, provide a source, or at least tell me where to find it on the page you've linked, since I don't see it.

18. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Hand sanitisers, why do they have it everywhere in hospitals

19. josh_676

josh_676 Member

As promised, todays antics at my local Woolworths.

People kept commenting that it's all about toilet paper, they just don't get it is more than that now.

clonex, neRok and bart5986 like this.
  20. elvis

To prevent bacterial infection. Not viral infection.

Do people not understand the difference?

(Worth noting that high concentration alcohol has a pretty good effect on Influenza. But not all viruses are the same, COVID-19 is less susceptible to alcohol, and has been confirmed airborn, which is the much bigger risk).

I'm beginning to wonder if part of OCAU didn't make it through high school. This is quite incredible.

I've posted it twice now. If you read the first paragraph and tuned out, I can't help you. Not here, and not in life. Heaven help your employer.

I do repeat however: staying healthy in general is absolutely worthwhile. By all means use hand sanitiser to prevent other illnesses. You want to be as healthy as possible during the next year or so, and not have something else in your system if you catch COVID-19. Using hand sanitiser in general is worthwhile. But don't be an idiot and stockpile it. Just use normal amounts like a normal person, and ensure there's enough for everyone.

The big picture here is that the best defence against COVID-19 is that *everyone* remains healthy. Stockpiling items means other people are at risk because of individual greed. If we all go about things normally, minimise unnecessary human-to-human contact, exercise basic hygiene, we'll be OK. If we hoard toilet paper and masks and still go to the footy game and church, not so much. Let's all be smart about this.