1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. chook

chook Member

Yeah, I am thinking of stepping up myself. Part of me is trying to be "alert but not alarmed," so to speak. Then I think back to ye olde saying about an ounce of prevention.

2. magius

magius Member

Decided to do the weekend shop today around lunch instead. And it wasn't too bad. Managed to get most of what we needed. Didn't seem overly busy, but rarely go on a weekday, so hard to say. Definitely heaps of empty shelves though and plenty of staff trying to refill stuff. Did manage to get some mince which I was surprised about. Yay

3. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I love the fact that there is limits on pre-packed chicken breast but go to the deli where it's $2 cheaper and you can get a dozen in a bag wrapped and ready to go.

4. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

When you do run out, and 1/10 people have the virus, you'll be wishing you did when it was 1 in 25,000 :p

5. clonex

clonex Member

i got 3 unused proper mask ones and few spare filters. do i just clean them everytime i go out?

6. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Local coles and woolies meat sections were basically empty. Butchers right out front of coles was fully stocked.

Makes me wonder if we'd have the same level of issues without self checkout. I'm guessing hoarders don't want to be judged for the self centered asshats they are by having to ask someone for what they want. Either that or they're too dumb to think outside the groceries=supermarket box even though they walk right past the butchers twice to go into coles.

7. chook

chook Member

I think that might be it. For the sake of convenience I buy everything at Aldi. If it came to the point of actually having no food at home instead of just it beign an inconvenience of having to go back another day then I would go to a butcher/baker (and probably even a candlestick maker ;)).

macktheknife likes this.
  8. magius

magius Member

Have the butchers started putting up the price though? Noticed that meat prices have increased a lot at our local market. At least Coles and Woolies are not price gouging (well no more than what they normally do anyway)

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I don't think you can properly clean it can you?

My current theory is using one, leaving it for a week, and then assuming the virus is dead so I can reuse, but I'm really not so sure if that would actually work.

I went to Woolworths today, all meat, milk and a lot of other stuff completely empty.

The butcher sounds like a great idea.

10. Copie

Copie Member

that’s because the wholesale cost of beef has risen dramatically due to the increased demand combined with the drought. Butchers just aren’t getting enough stock in to catch up with demand. My local butcher usually does around 2t of meat product a week, this week he has done 5t and would of been twice that if he could get stock.

Normally I buy half a cow once a year get it cut up, vac seal and shove it in my chest freezer (normally works out to be about 12 bucks a kg for 80-90kg) but no chance of that happening until October at the earliest.

Chicken is no different.

11. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Meat has definitely gone up in price but it's been over the last 18-24 months not because of recent hype. The biggest difference I've found in meat in regional Vic is those who cut their own have remained fairly constant with price and stock, those relying on deliveries from the city or bigger companies are getting limited amounts and no specials.

I get top up meat from Coles or Woolies which is mainly chicken and in the deli that hasn't changed much in price or availability. But the majority of the meat we get pig, sheep or cow, comes straight from the butcher which comes from either our stock or someone around here. None of the people we know around here are short of meat and if someone can't use half a cow we share it until it's all gone. Been doing it that way for decades, don't see it stopping any time soon.

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Local Coles was out of tissues. Literally across from it was one of these $2 stores packed to the gills with tissue boxes and not a single customer.

Somewhat hilarious how few people can consider grocery shopping outside of a Coles or Woolworths. No wonder those two groups have such an iron grip on our stupid population.

13. chook

chook Member

I have noticed the same thing and buy much the same. My beef comes from my parents farm and I just buy a quarter beast every six months or so. It is only chicken and other meat that I get from the supermarket or butcher. The butcher is for when friends or family are coming over and the supermarket is for normal meals. There are some times when I might be out of mince or need some more eye fillet but apart from that I rarely buy beef.

14. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

One of the local butchers here who's part of a city chain under a different name pretty much sold out in 45 minutes the other day. They were almost taking it off the truck and handing it to customers. At 9am the only things left were 3 star mince and slabs of Porterhouse and Scotch fillet. It appears people were desperate for meat but not desperate enough to save $4/kg and buy a slab they have to cut themselves. People are definitely strange.

15. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

wasn't it you who called someone a peasant for freezing meat?

my mistake if it wasn't :lol:

16. Reaper

Reaper Member

Brand blindness. Just like how previously Australian made products from big names can get away with switching to foreign made product under the same label and still be the biggest sellers. Those are also the same people that complain about automated checkouts and that their kids won't have jobs in the future because of them.

17. magius

magius Member

Not everyone has that kinda freezer space to store that much meat at once. Though maybe after this, everyone will have their own chest freezer. Quite impressed some folks can just store away half a beast like that though. Must have a pretty massive freezer.

18. chook

chook Member

I have a chest freezer, have for years and it nicely fits half a beast. You have to think about how you pack it to make sure you can get what you want out without unloading half the freezer. At the moment I also have some of my older neighbour's stuff in there as they only have a small fridge/freezer and are trying to avoid going out as much as possible. As long as everyone works together this will be alright.

It is the people that can't do that who I feel sorry for and often they are people who are not as well off in terms of health, dietary choices, etc.

19. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

20. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Having a big freezer and several fridges is just normal for me. I grew up in the country, we went shopping once a week, we bought food to last a week, we bought non perishable food that lasted longer. There was no prepping, or hoarding and we rotated food by date to make sure it never got left uneaten. It was just what we grew up doing and what we all now do as adults.

elvis, chook and Scarpetta like this.