1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

only the shops are allowed to profit from this ....

2. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

That’s so very sad. I enjoy the odd drink here and there, but I can count the times that I step into a bottle store in one hand a year.

As money gets tight, luxury items such as alcohol are an absolute no go for me.

3. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

alcohol seems to be an absolute "essential service" at this time for many!

4. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

A lot of my friends on their social media days are showing them drinking EVER DAY..because they've "Got nothing else to do" :Paranoid:

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'm only a social drinker, haven't had a drop in weeks.

seems there's a lot of closet alcos in this country.
    know many of my colleagues/friends were the ones down at Dan's stocking up on as many cases as they could fit in the car.

6. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Ahh look. There have been times where I've drunken every day, because I needed a drink :lol:

Drinking out of boredom is whole other level though. I'm currently getting up to feed babies every four hours so I've resorted to alcohol free beer. So I guess you can say I'm being a hypocrite....or just envious :lol:

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Nothing closet about it. Australia's poor relationship with alcohol has been documented for as long as documentation existed.

8. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

Netflix and cirrhosis of the liver?

9. miicah

miicah Member

I am trying so hard not to fall into old habits right now...

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well you're lucky, you won't have to put up with the hoarding for booze supplies for the impending apocalpyse seem to think we are going to have.

I would say easily 60% of hard liquor gone from the shelves. Crazy.

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

Aware of the studies on the matter.

More so the people who think it's perfectly normal to consume multiple cases a week at home by themselves. thinking they're not alcos because they're not downing bottles of cheap spirits from brown paper bags or bladders or cheap wine.

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

WHO says 5 standard drinks in a sitting is "binge drinking". That's 3-4 beers or glasses of wine in a sitting, which isn't even warming up for most Aussies.

You're 100% right. The stereotype that an alcoholic is someone poor and destitute makes most wealthy, high functioning alcoholics think they're above it all.

13. CrazyDez

CrazyDez Member

I go shopping every Monday morning in this COVID climate.

Seeing heaps of ice cream but almost no frozen veges did somewhat restore my faith in humanity. Also pleased with myself for picking up a 10kg bag of rice.

The kids and I happily subsisted on fruit, veges, meat, and rice, long before the current shortages. Wife is learning to become less fussy :Pirate:

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

That's interesting.....we have plenty of frozen veges but flour seems to be the next big disappearing item.

15. Reaper

Reaper Member

I see heaps of vegan junk food and soy poison milk still sitting there, makes me feel the same until I then see almost no baked beans but plenty of canned fish instead and then I think urg. Hey at least I can still easily get some cans of sardines which are infinitely better for you (I only get the virgin olive oil ones not vegetable oil), than the canned sauce beans and whatever the crap it is they call spaghetti. Those people need all the toilet paper eating all those beans.

16. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

noticed that woolies has hardly any specials now ....

17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Most supermarkets seem fully restocked of everything except hand sanitiser. With limited brands for other stuff like pasta etc.

Some stores are weirdly completely out of stock of specific things though, like flour, which is weird when others are fully stocked.

18. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Woolies sent out an email two weeks ago stating specials would not continue, then the following week they released their catalogue only on line and apart from one page of fruit it was all Easter stuff and booze. Coles also said they'd stop most specials and stop catalogues even on line. Aldi are still throwing out catalogues like they are going out of fashion and some of their fruit and veg specials are quite reasonable.

19. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

It seems certain companies can profit from this mess and nobody really cares... since the competition has mostly closed or are restricted

20. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Funny, that's not how Woolies and Coles worded the emails I read :p