1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Yippee so instead of not being able to buy 2 packets of cereal, 2 packets of bikkies and 2 packets of flour, I'll be able to not buy 6 of each!

2. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

According to the Woolies CEO they are still seeing double the normal demand for bog roll and this week alone they sold more that 20.5 million rolls. And they are getting an extra 1000 pallets a week of pasta which he claims is an half a million packets.

Believe his figures or not but the fact that stocks are still low in so many places means that idiots are still adding to their hoards of this stuff

3. trevor68

trevor68 Member

You have to figure they will run out of space eventually? are stocks going up for self storage joints?

4. clonex

clonex Member

but if you compare it to peak time like xmas then its pretty much the same ;)

5. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Also considering most people would have done their ‘business’ at work, so the spread of demand probably would have been 50/50 (pure guesses) through retail/wholesale channels, it’s now 99/1. It definitely doesn’t help when idiots were initially grabbing trolleys full, instead of an extra pack once a week.
    Similar story for food with restaurants and take aways. The demand has shifted to supermarkets (+ the hoarders).

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Pretty interesting to see some very snobby restaurants turn to take away. Particularly when some of them were vocally against the same ideas not long ago.

7. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Must be very humbling

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Pretty easy to get really arrogant until your back is against the wall. Seeing a lot of that lately all around the world.

Tyler Durden said it best. We are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

the be fair if your providing - and charging for - a five star multi-course experience, you can't do that with take away/delivery. it just won't be the same 20 minutes later out of a plastic takeaway containers.

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

but yes many businesses are finding out their services are a luxury that will be first to be stopped when people are hard up.

VirtualNinja likes this.
  11. chook

chook Member

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Ripley, die_piggy and elvis like this.
  12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Not just 5 star.

Outback steak house starting doing delivery well before the virus existed. What they don't seem to understand is that once that steak, chips or ribs has been sitting in a container for 20 minutes, its not longer worth very much, and they charge quite a lot.

The only thing delivery doesn't seem to ruin is ramen, chinese or thai.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If anyone hasn't caught the latest they are probably going to limit access to stores and a certain number of people allowed in store at any one time. Exactly what other countries were doing weeks and weeks back.

14. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

Feels very FWP but I agree. I really enjoy an upmarket burger with chips and wings but all three things diminish significantly in the delivery process to the point where I don't bother anymore.

Pizza, chinese and japanese seem to fare well though. Time to start expanding my takeaway horizons!

15. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Soy Milk isn’t poison. My fav brand is Bonsoy, the carton is coloured light caramel/yellow. There’s a reason they charge $4 a litre, it’s delicious.

My local stores still have plenty of fresh fruit and veg. I have no idea why people aren’t taking this time to learn how to cook a healthy delicious meal at home.

I’m fermenting my 3rd cabbage this week, love sauerkraut with my vegan brautwurst snags, veg and sweet potato, topped with mustard and tomato chutney.

Enjoy your canned sardines buddy - you remind me of me 10 years ago. :lol:

16. chook

chook Member

And you thought they had panic buying before. While I understand the reason and it is sound this is just going to make people who might have been on the border of panic buying go crazy. Normal person goes to shop and can't get what they need because hoarding wankers have bought it all. They had to wait in line for some period of time to not get anything. They come back the next day and, say, another day. As soon as they get in that shop they will buy the absolute maximum of everything they can instead of just doing a normal shop. Why? Two reasons mainly. One is the cost in time and the second is the repeated risk of exposure while standing in line.

17. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yah, now that I think about it, it's kinda weird that I've devised a strategy for buying groceries once a week. A lot of pressure is also coming from many people needing to eat everything at home too.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I wonder what the wait times would be like for some of the bigger stores such as Cole/Woolies...

19. magius

magius Member

Has there been any mention on what limits they are putting in? 10 people? 100 people? Guessing it will be based on how big the store is, but keen to know, as yeah its going to be chaos if there is a huge queue outside waiting forever.

20. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Number will vary depending on size of store obviously.
    But it's going to great for any of those supermarkets with very little undercover when it starts raining on people.
    My local Woolies is still one of the busiest in the state but with nowhere to line people up at any entrance that they wont get wet people will just go to Coles which is part of the shopping centre and plenty of undercover.