1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. chook

chook Member

Me too. I used to go roughly twice a week but now I have been doing once a week to limit not only my exposure but also my presence in the store causing crowding. Instead of going on the weekend I go during the week, again to avoid crowded times. Great in concept but flawed in execution.

Yes, it is based on the 1 person per 4m^2 guideline. Again, I support the concept but I can't see it working in practice.

2. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I have two food receipts a week at the moment from the two places I shop (My local Coles for long life and a few staple starches, and my local Asian grocer for all things green, ripe and fresh), so I'm taking this opportunity to see where my money is going food-wise and see how I can easily save a few bucks. :)

Also, it doesn't take much to figure out when to shop. Think of the time in the day when you're most unlikely to shop, and chances are that applies to a lot of people - so you should try shopping then. Works for me, there's about 10 customers in Coles when I go, and 2 or 3 at the green grocer.

chook likes this.
  3. magius

magius Member

Going to be interesting, particularly when they have only allocated 1hr in the morning for the seniors / carers / health workers, when everyone wants to rush in to get toilet paper....

Maybe they need a system where people can book the time they want to visit and help manage numbers that way. Apart from something like this, I can't see any other way how this could work. Or maybe they should just do free deliveries and everyone does their shopping online! :leet:

4. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

If your stores are anything like mine Aldi is the only one that puts dunny rolls out first thing. Both Coles and Woolies do it from a pallet at different times during the day. Sometimes it's when the trucks come in, but mostly it's just to randomise who is actually getting the stuff rather than it just being a reward for turning up at opening time.

Bunnings manage to limit customers in their stores quite easily, (although I'm still convinced my local Bunnings has about 80 staff members rostered on at a time), so apart from lining up outside it's not like it's going to be difficult to manage. There will be more people on line whinging about how people line up than there will be people complain about how it's managed.

5. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Hahah just loaded the Kmart website and was presented with this.

"Thanks for your patience! You're in the queue.
    We're currently experiencing a high volume of traffic, so we're trialling a queuing system. When it’s your turn, you'll have as much time as you need (as long as you aren’t inactive for more than 20 minutes)."

There is a timer to show how long the wait is, you can have them email you.

And in case anyone was concerned my whole family practiced social distancing by logging on from 7 different devices around the house to see who won the shopping race.

6. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I want to know why theres a high volume right now. It usually means the ozbargain gang have found something good. But there's no deals happening.. I'm feeling the FOMO bad...

7. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Well unless you get in the queue you'll never know what you're missing out on.

8. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I've seen pics of the kmart online queues for the last 4 or 5 days. No idea why because they don't really sell anything worth queuing for that I can recall.

9. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Pet stuff. Lots of people homes with them :lol:

10. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Kmart is not even worth waiting for.. it's just a 2 dollar shop... What is worth waiting 5 minutes waiting for in Kmart?

11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Kmart have released a statement:

We appreciate that people love queuing up in our stores, and during this difficult time people might not want to leave the house. So as part of our Covid-19 strategy, we have introduced a new queuing system online.

While we understand in store you are used to seeing a price and then joining a queue when you know what you wish to purchase, the wonder of the internet means we can put you in a queue, before you can even see the price of the item you wanted, before you can even get to the checkout.

We hope our customers will like this new revolutionary and safe way of queuing from home.

Sincerely
    -Kmart Australia.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Rofl.....figures are out, 20 million bog rolls sold last week :lol:

13. chook

chook Member

Because elastic computing is hard. Just ask the ABS or any ticket outlet. :(

cvidler likes this.
  14. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

So click and collect is back in some areas here... but you can't buy toilet paper or tissues online.

WtF?

There is no point offering this service unless one can get the items they require. Why on Earth do people need to come into a supermarket and potentially infect themselves just to get bogroll?

Luckily I'm not in need right now, but if I was I would be annoyed.

JSmith

15. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Think yourself lucky it's even an option in store, many regional areas still can't get reliable supplies and it's not just bog roll that is short on supply.

16. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Not really mate... last 3 visits, empty shelves. That is why I tried a click and collect... I don't have time to be queuing up at 7am for shitroll. Might just order from Amazon and have it posted... just seems insane.

JSmith

17. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I haven't seen dunny roll on a shelf at Coles, Woolies or Aldi since this bullshit all started and city folks came down in their buses and took it all. Stores are putting what little they get out at random times to stop people lining up for it, but the stock in still gone within 5 minutes of rolling the pallet out, the only people who get priority if they are there is old people.

As for the other out of stocks it varies day by day but it's everything from cereal to flour, to bread, to pasta, to packaged meat. I haven't looked in the cleaning aisle but reports are no metho (not even at Bunnings), no turps, no hand cleaner. We've got stores paying for night fill to stand around and do nothing because trucks are not delivering or getting held up, then when they arrive they don't have the stock on them stores have ordered. Some of the supermarkets need the earlier closing hours simply because they don't have stock left to sell. I don't really care that much any more because I'm almost non-reliant on supermarkets now, other than them providing a number of my family with a pay cheque. But not everyone is in the same boat, many country people are still struggling just to get the staples.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

:lol: Good luck with that, they sell out in seconds, literally, I absolutely kid you not.

19. Hater

Hater Member

they wanted me to queue up to get into coles yesterday

so i walked to 200m to aldi, straight in no problems

weird.

there was toilet paper in stock but no whole chickens? cut up chicken no probs but no full birds...

20. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Coles and Kmart are making people queue at my local shopping centre, however through most of the day there isn't enough people for them to worry about. My wife went to Kmart and they are forcing people to use the self serve registers, then after each person the staff member standing there goes along and wipes the machine down. They don't seem to give a shit what else you touch in store but your greasy germ filled hands touching the registers is dangerous.

My wife reckons Coles staff need to take lessons of Aldi staff too. If they are going to make customers pack their own bags wait until the customers have their shit out of the trolley and are ready to pack the bags. Coles registers are not made to stack products like Adli's are and stacking the shit up on those stupid bag carousels is ridiculous.