Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't think my bank ever changed it, always been $100 afaik.

2. Franc

Franc Member

Has anyone else been slowly accumulating a store of loo paper in case theres another idiot run on it?

3. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Pfft, accumulating dunny roll is so 6 months ago. All the cool kiddies are now buying copies of War And Peace and using one page a day!

JSmithDTV likes this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nope, not here. Coincidentally I did just order 2 45 packs from Amazon last Friday because I was starting to run low.

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

said the idiot.

Stooge007, Beanz and JSmithDTV like this.
  6. clonex

clonex Member

Not in SA it seems according to the news today:D

people going all tropic thunder in adelaide atleast

7. Franc

Franc Member

I dont think thats fair.

I have been buying over time *after* supplies came back and not inconveniencing anyone, I didn't buy more than i needed in the past in case theres another panic run (this happened twice in Melbourne already).

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

sounds fair to me, you're deriding 'idiot' hoarders, while you yourself admit to hoarding.

there was never a shortage caused by the outbreak, it was only caused by the idiot hoarders. if no one hoarded there would've never been a problem (there was no threat to regular production runs, unlike some imported products we make all the TP we need here). it was a self-fulfilling negative feedback loop.

some idiot got caught hoarding by an idiot 'reporter' who reported it so other idiots would hoard too.

so justify it however you want, you're still part of the problem.

Stooge007 likes this.
  9. Franc

Franc Member

How am I part of the problem where there currently is no shortage of supply?

10. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

No.

The shortages were manufactured. Didn't you see how coles and woolies had record sales, even though there were supposed shortages? Didn't you notice that only the well known premium brands were the only things you could buy for a while, with no sight of cheaper supermarket brands?

There is nothing wrong with stocking up when there are no shortages. There has never been a shortage of coffee, but I've got 6 big jars of moccona sitting on the shelf. I buy 2 when they're on special, because I don't know when they'll be on special again.

I've got a large freezer. I fill it with meat about once per month, because it's a half-day trip to get the meat at a reasonable price instead of paying the woolies/MLA cartel prices.

Just because someone doesn't like going to the supermarket every day or every week, it doesn't mean they're a hoarder.

dakiller likes this.
  11. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

always i stock up on the specials. ive 'saved' hundreds if not thousands of dollars doing so.
    yes, over the years it would be many thousands.

12. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

There has always been a difference between stocking up on things, special or not, and hoarding. 12 months ago shopping once a week and buying 8-10 bottles of milk in one shopping trip was not even questioned, suddenly 6 months ago the same practice for the same person who still only shopped once a week was deemed hoarding. Too many people are too quick to judge without bothering to get the facts.

The shortages in the supermarkets were definitely manufactured shortages. The supermarkets fed the media, the media were too gullible (and don't care enough about real reporting) to not follow the lead. It started with bog roll, then they added a few different items and suddenly there was no pasta and rice, within days there was empty shelves. The supermarkets knew exactly what they were doing and calculated the media's response perfectly.

13. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

No. I learnt during the first lock down that I can simply take a shit in the shower, waffle stomp the bastard down the drain, then wash up accordingly.

Survival of the fittest, pandemics are a test for us all.

But... on the other hand, now that everyone is talking about loo roll running out again... well, I’d hate to miss out, better go buy some, and a little extra just to be sure.

14. miicah

miicah Member

That is illegal and someone from the big supermarkets would have reported it.

15. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Haha, I like your confidence in the supermarkets.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Supporting factual evidence please.

17. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

friend who lives in the US (Boston) said they're going through a toilet paper shortage now

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

poster I originally replied too, specifically said he was buying more than normal. aka hoard.

If you need 10 bottles of milk for your family every week, I've no problems with that, and that's factored into the store you buy from supply chain. it's pretty hard to hoard milk anyway, it's got a short shelf life.
    If you're normal is a 4-pack a week, or a 36-pack a month cool. the key point is normal.

Of course it was 'fake' shortages*, and of course the supermarkets will only promote the idea. more sales is more sales. they don't care if they run out, nor do they care if a few people fill their trolleys and walk out with all the stock, and people miss out - they made the sales.

*fake so far as their supply chains are all built around normal demand levels (aka JIT - Just In Time). kleenex/sorbent etc. only make so many rolls at a time, they don't want warehouses full of stock sitting their costing them money, nor does woolies/coles/etc. want the stock in their warehouses or out the back of their stores. suddenly a bunch of retards think TP is going to go extinct and buy up all the stock and it fulfils the prophecy only because the demand temporarily exceeded the supply chain. TP didn't stop getting made. it was just now sitting in the warehouses of retards.

keep calm and shop normally people. and there'll be no problems.

19. Phido

Phido Member

Thats crazy..

I thought by now, people would have container loads buried underground..

ALDI is still trying to flog off the flour 25kg bags..

It would be worth building an apocolypse drum. With flour, toilet paper, canned food.. Ryzens and 3090's, you know the essentials..

20. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Yeah I know, I wasn't directly attacking your thoughts on the matter. A friend of mine who only shops once every two weeks for her family got yelled at while she was at the register during pandemic V1.0 for buying three different boxes of cereal. The crazy woman screamed at her calling her a hoarder and all sorts of shit because of what she saw and couldn't think outside her own little box to accept that others might well live differently to her. People like that were as much of a problem as those actually hoarding shit.

It's funny how people see Coles and Woolies pushing things like Ooshies and Little shop products and can suggest that the supermarkets were responsible for the 'shortage' and subsequent desperation bartering of these little plastic things through clever advertising and media exposure. Yet they can't seen the same supermarkets and media outlets pushed shortages upon people by pushing the stories about panic buying.