Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Tinian

Tinian Member

Coles and Woolworths have sophisticated real time stock management. In real time they could have seen and responded to the panic buying of certain items by placing immediate stock limits per shop. They're complicit in the shortages suffered by normal shoppers, but not at fault.

Keep in mind it only takes a few people acting irrationally and all of a sudden it makes sense for you to grab stock before there's a shortage. That's the conundrum we face - just too many idiots.

2. Audionut

Audionut Member

A person who buys 100 rolls of shitter paper during a period of ample supply, is in a whole different league to someone who purchases the same amount in the initial stages (or during) a shortage.

The first person says, I can buy these 100 rolls of shitter paper while not impacting on anyone else at all. The second person says, fuck this, you can all go and get fucked, I'm thinking entirely about myself. The same as a person who buys 3000 bottles of hand sanitizer.

Frustration should not be directed at innocent people on forums because you think it is appropriate to tag onto an opinion and attack people willy-nilly.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  3. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

I just bought 4 bottles of scotch for a 6 day lock down is that hoarding........oh wait I'm just an alcho

wwwww, FIREWIRE1394, zed_kid and 2 others like this.
  4. connico

connico Member

Isn't classes as a conspiracy theory? If you don't have evidence please refrain from spouting this crap.

5. BistecConBigote

BistecConBigote Member

How could a manufactured shortage help supermarkets? If you can't buy the product, how would that generate extra sales?

6. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

The supermarkets knew there was no shortage, the media even showed warehouses full of stuff, but with every news story, with every person at the checkout grabbing one particular item and with the stores putting limits on items it was easy to manufacture shortages that didn't truly exist. Tell the media to report on empty shelves, enough people are driven to panic buy, the majority of the rest are driven to buy just in case the hoarders get it all.

We used to do it all the time in the bread game. There'd be a half price or better sale on in Coles, (for example) we'd also look at the history of the Coles store and find out how much they'd sold on similar sales. Then on a Wednesday, the day after the slowest sales day in the supermarkets, we'd keep the order low enough to run out mid to late afternoon. It was harder in some metro stores where they got multiple deliveries in a day, but it could be done. The customer sees near empty shelves they buy up, the customers see empty shelves they complain, the store complains, we increase the order for the following day to double the usually special order and we'd sell out every time. The sales we missed out on Wednesday afternoon were nothing compared to what we sold for the rest of the week. Create a perceived shortage and customers are like sheep.

7. Audionut

Audionut Member

TLDR: Encourage shoppers to buy more then they need. Controlling the supply doesn't limit the amount purchased.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Had to pop out for a few things this morning, a lot of shelves bare at my local. Last night's mad panic buying has cleared many items off shelves. Crazy stuff.

9. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Of course it can. You control what people can have today, spread the story it's running out, and people buy more than double what they wanted tomorrow. It's been working for years, the pandemic buying just proved how well.

10. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Yep. It's sold out today, so I have to go tomorrow. Oh look, it's in stock, so I'll buy double just in case it's sold out next time.

11. Audionut

Audionut Member

Yes of course, if you limit supply to such an extent that it is impossible for the buyers to purchase an amount equal to if there was no manipulation of supply. But alas.....

You've just expanded on exactly what I said (which itself was a TLDR of what you said). Manipulating and controlling supply does not limit the amount purchased. Ok, ok, ok. Technically.....it does limit the amount that can be purchased during the stage of the supply manipulation, whereby the stock on shelf is low. But....at other stages of the game, the purchased amount far exceeds the normal purchased amount, and thus over a week, the amount of product sold far exceeds the normal amount purchased.

TLDR:.......

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  12. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Okay so now you make as much sense as me, some would consider that a downward trajectory worth fixing :)

Audionut likes this.
  13. Audionut

Audionut Member

I don't have evidence that it has or hasn't happened. I can say that outside of the pandemic, I haven't noticed stock supply issues, but I haven't been looking for it either.

But I can see how, especially in a pandemic, the supply can be manipulated. And the sales figures clearly show that the pandemic was very productive for some industries. And, they're big business controlled by profit. It's sure as shit is within my realm of possibility.

edit: And you're sharing personal experience. That's not tangle evidence, per se, but it's not the opinion of some numb nut parroting a narrative without the personal experience either.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  14. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

There has been reports for years that Coles and Woolies have manipulated farmers, even when they were supposedly doing them good and collecting extra money for them there was reports about how they were manipulating the system for themselves. There's been stories for years about manipulating fruit and vegie prices, and they were accused (possibly proven I don't remember) to be manipulating the fuel market. People have been complaining for years about all the things the duopoly has been doing. Being able to manipulate sales over the last 6 months would have been like shooting fish in a barrel with an elephant gun for them.

On the upside for SA though the CEO of the Independant grocers was on the news this morning saying they have stock in warehouses collecting dust so as long as they like their dunny rolls with dust on them he has plenty!

15. cvidler

cvidler Member

for sure, just look at the dairy industry. store brand milk for $1/litre, other name brands are more like $2/litre, farmers selling to coleworth getting ripped on price, so they can sell $1 milk to the sheeple.

it's worse quality milk too. the colesworth milk leaves a strange yellow stain on my steamer rag, the local dairy milk does not.

16. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Has there been any actual evidence the price increase (I think it was something like 20c per litre) has actually gone to the farmers? I know there was a number of farmers claiming they'd got nothing in the first few months but that price increase has been on milk now for 18 -24 months.

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

dunno should've paid them fairly to begin with not add on a drought tax/levy/whatever you want to call it, that'll never go away (no tax goes away).

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Drakes have been smashed last night according to John-Paul Drake, son of the owner Roger Drake. People went absolutely stupid last night, for 6 days! :lol: Might turn out to be more like 2 weeks but still.....supermarkets are NOT closing.

19. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Are bottle shops open? According to the news this morning a Port Pirre bottle shop did $35K yesterday afternoon where they'd usually only do $3K

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes bottlo's remain open. They are an essential service :leet:

Went to pretty small local bottlo yesterday evening, never seen a queue like it before, 30-40 deep, wrapping around isles through the store. They would have easily done 5-10 times the sales they normally would.