Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

You need to find your nearest local Asian grocer. They're typically cheaper than the major Super Markets, and often have dirt cheap specials on fruit when buying in bulk.

2. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

My nearest Asian grocer is about 80ks away, any saving is not really a saving.
    The local fruit and veg is usually cheaper, even Aldi is usually cheaper on most fruit and veg, but it goes in cycles and every store can have specials. It just seems like the Woolies and Coles Christmas specials are more special to them than they are to consumers.

3. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Can’t believe I can’t find a $20 lobster for Christmas.. Worst.Christmas.Ever /s

Scarpetta likes this.
  4. ozz

ozz Member

all the supermarkets are a rort , they dont care about customers savings , alll they care about is their pocket, typical xmas price gouging and nothing gets done about it, its the same as bloody easter time , same scenario, its a bloody joke , pathetic bastards they are

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

publicly traded companies, the first and ONLY care is for shareholders. anything else is marketing.

6. Jumpingmanjim

Jumpingmanjim Member

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You could get some $45/kg King Prawns instead.

8. booboo

booboo Member

5 day lockdown for vic announced this afternoon and people are doing the same thing and raiding the TP. Don't people learn? plus this ones a 5 day lockdown do they really need to?

BurningFeetMan and MR CHILLED like this.
  9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Right. Maybe they think it's going to turn into a 50 day lockdown. How utterly ridiculous.

It really actually boggles my mind. I could sort of understand it originally when this whole pandemic kicked, but not now......5 fucking days people, you don't need to hoard TP!!

10. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I got paid yesterday and was out doing the fortnightly groceries this morning so didn't have any limits or anything to worry about which was good when you're shopping for a family of five. I didn't need or buy any toilet paper, but probably would have hit limits on meat, frozen veggies or pasta had I have gone this afternoon... Basically got home not long before the press conference and before all the crazies went out.

11. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I went in for the usual weekly shop this morning too, it was a usual unstressful, boring trip. I should have gone to the butcher but I was feeling lazy, so that will have to wait until next week, but I'm not worried about shortages there. Was just down at the shops picking up some dinner (and the wife) and it's not that bad down there. DH Dan's presser has created a little bit more traffic at Coles and take away joints but not that much more. If there is shortages in Melbourne they might just have enough time to get their bus loads of dunny paper hoarders down here and strip what's left and get themselves home by midnight if they rush.

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

No, people in generally are profoundly stupid, easily frightened, and more easily led by the media.

Additionally, people are dangerously bad at judging risk profiles (it's proven again and again in all situations).
    5-day 'lockdown' = "better buy 100 rolls of TP, a tonne of pasta etc. or I'll starve to death in 37 minutes of being unable to shop"

yet

risk of contracting covid is high due to community transmission =/= "better play it safe and mask up/wash hands/stay away from public places"

scared of sharks / lives 300km from an ocean

scared of flying / jaywalks across a busy road face implanted in their phone screen

JSmithDTV likes this.
  13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

This... the very last place I went when the lockdown here began was the supermarket or any crowded public place. Had the complete shits when Woolies and Coles stopped click/collect and delivery at one point as they put me in a position where I had to go to one. Anyway I dealt with that by going late on a Friday night so barely anyone was there. It's clear these people don't care about the virus, more so maintaining their consumption pattern and strange need to mix with large numbers of people whilst being annoyed.

JSmith

14. Franc

Franc Member

Yep. And I have been mocked for keeping stocks of TP in case of another run. That comedian put it well where the news is saying you dont need to buy TP but also all the TP is being bought. Fuck that.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What gave me the shits about the whole thing was I signed mum up for priority delivery using their form and they absolutely completely ignored it :mad: All talk no action for those most in need in our community.

16. caspian

caspian Member

same to all for me. I'm happy not to panic buy, but only if everyone else does the same. that's not going to happen, because people are generally fools who long since outsourced their thinking to the media and the collective stupidity of facebook. so I stocked up, and I'm immune to the issue.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  17. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Had the same issue. Finally got it resolved after a lot of hassle then they had no delivery windows available.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Bugger that, their systems should work from the beginning otherwise it simply looks like a token exercise with no meaning other that to try and look good. I wasn't going to spend my time following up.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

20. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Another real world problem solved by Facebook mothers, is there anything these creatures can't do?