1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Not sure if things are on the improve or not but they were stacking the trucks at my local Coles last night around 6pm. Usually the 5pm delivery is the last until around midnight but there was one in the bay and two waiting to unload when I was there.

2. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Funny you say that, I planted corn, cucumber, capsicum and lettuce a few days ago (from seed) as these are our usual 'go-to' veggies especially with our kids. Basically, because of the ridiculousness of the above.

I used to do this a lot when I had the time, but with the hours I work and the missus working PT with the kids, its a challenge and time consuming task to run around the weekend doing the shop to save a few bucks.

Never had it before kids but grocery delivery has been our savior :lol:

3. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Geez, glad I set my fruit, veg & herb garden up yrs ago. Didn't have to be genius to see how fragile our distribution systems were even back then.

josh1990 likes this.
  4. josh1990

josh1990 Member

We've spent a few $ investing in some gardening spaces - we've never spent so much time in the backyard. Capsicums here are running $12.99-15.99/kg atm - we have approx 10 plants starting to flower. Approx 30 tomato plants producing, pumpkins starting to form, lettuce going apeshit, corn ears forming, blueberries being picked, chillies on their way, herbs out the wazoo not to mention the 250+ head of garlic I harvested - its not enough to stop shopping but it has helped not to have to worry so much

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  5. callan

callan Member

I got walloped with a laundry list of side-effects from my Moderna booster last week (still worth it, of course), but Panadol/paracetamol was of great relief, keeping my fever and aches in check. I sure knew when the Panadol started wearing off, though:D

More on topic, though my local Colesworth has had a run on SALT, of all things. There was no cooking salt - of ANY brand.. WTF? Paracetamol - plenty. Veggies - no substitutions required. but SALT?? none to be found. Weird.

6. flain

flain Member

I've found the quality of the produce is much higher at the smaller grocers. For some strange reason potatoes at woolies/coles in my local area don't go crunchy when you bake them (typical boil then bake method), my theory is they freeze or refrigerate them too much which ruins them (when i used to buy them at coles/woolies id always wonder why they were super cold when i got them home..).

7. fnp

fnp Member

Ah well, got to preserve enough food to last the next ten years!

I dare say salt hasn't been because of the supplier issues or logistics issues or transport issues or staffing issues, take your pick. It is impressive that people bought that much salt though, you would think even if it's not being restocked there would be enough of the shelves to last a little while.

8. Copie

Copie Member

Salt is big business, the majority of salt consumed here in AU comes from one salt mine in Price SA, they ship out 4000-5000 tonnes per day, so it can definitely be effected by logistics shortages

9. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

I was hitting the point where I was worried about my panadol intake after my Moderna booster (last week as well, high five booster bros!). I say panadol, it was the el cheapo chemist warehouse version which didn't go down so well with my throat feeling a bit swollen.

A bit of a humble brag, there is some major roadworks going on near me so the road the local Woolies is on was shut off but they were still open. Result? I basically had my own personal supermarket to shop around. Meat? They were discounting stuff getting near the best before because they had too much. Toilet paper? Shelves full. Salt? Dunno, didn't need salt. Social distancing? I think I kept about 10m from anyone my entire time in store. It was AMAZING and needs to be the future of shopping somehow.

The chemist warehouse is on the same road too, they actually had stock of RATs at one point but no one could get in to get them :lol:. Made it very easy to get more paracetamol though.

Lord Belial likes this.
  10. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Another woolies go. Vegetables were back to normal but meat was dire apart from a glut of chicken drumsticks.

Toilet Paper was back in very light stock, only a few brands and most of them were big 24 packs. Did get a couple packs of the double length stuff, less room required than the tiny rolls you get the 24s.

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Better to take Ibuprofen being an anti-inflammatory rather than Paracetamol for after vaccine effects. Some people take heaps before the vaccine, which can affect efficacy.

JSmith

12. callan

callan Member

Paracetamol is better for fever, and most of my symptoms stemmed from the fever.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Fair enough... I had body aches and headache more than any fever.

JSmith

14. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Was at the end of our grocery cycle, and then found out that we are a household contact. So spending the next 7 days in iso.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Chicken being targeted at my local now. Most meats pretty low and virtually no chicken at all.

Looks like toilet roll hoarding is back too :rolleyes:

macktheknife likes this.
  16. callan

callan Member

Ya - had to send some TP to my stepdaughter today: her supplies were critical, and I'd grabbed an 18 pack from the local servo a week or so ago as it was on special. Also scooted a pack of RATs to her hubby (Thanks Ma!), as he's most at risk.

Our purchase last year of a dedicated freezer has proved prescient. What annoys me though as my wife and I are basically self-isolating/in lockdown, this means that our supermarket purchases look like we're doomsday prepper hoarders -- but we're just buying once a week/fortnight, and click & collecting, not hoarding.
    I've more supplies coming in next week so we should be set. But for those without, it'll be tough.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    supasaiyan and macktheknife like this.
  17. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

yeh same at my local woolworths. Only had drumsticks left (to be honest, i can't even remember ever buying drumsticks). Was going to put in an order at the local butchers for delivery, but called them up and asked about delivery timeframes, and they said you're looking at about early next week!

18. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

local woolies has been stripped bare of various things.
    perhaps in combination with supply issues not sure. bit of both i think.

crazy people.
    some china woman was sorting through every carton of eggs looking for god knows what...

toilet paper shelves empty. frozen veg and french fries etc. empty.

various dairy shelves looking quite bare.

the fresh meats section quite bare.

i went to a woolies a bit further away last time. still seemed relatively normal except for the toilet paper aisle. so homo stupidus has crept back into the field.

although ive been overstocking for some time. i dont have ridiculous amounts of things.
    the over supply of tp...i guess i have about 6 months worth. ...which isn't much really...which ive had for frigging ages anyway.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  19. fnp

fnp Member

In addition to chicken we now seem to have a big egg shortage. I guess protein is popular. Even the kangaroo was cleared out.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

[​IMG]