1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Groceries running out

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MoMaN69, Mar 3, 2020.

1. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Any room for a couple of layers?

I took the scraps out today, came back with this - 9 eggs under the toms

[​IMG]

adamsleath likes this.
  2. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

My local shopping centre supermarkets (in Perth) are out or nearly out of many things such as dairy, oil, rice, chips toilet paper and cat food but the local corner store still has pretty much everything.
    The railway line to WA is open again now but they are expecting shortages to last a few more weeks before the backlog is cleared.

3. Current

Current Member

Yep it's like coles and woolies are being deliberate in limiting stock,....

i go to any local store and it's all stocked up as normal, coles and woolies, bare shaleves

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not sure why they would do that, covid or non covid.

There are still massive supply chain issues all over the country. Plus we have record fuel costs, it's not a good outlook all around really.

5. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Still no dunny paper and I've been to the shops 3 times (and one of them was an aldi) since I bought the 2nd to last packet off the shelf from a while back. Starting to regret not getting both of them now.

Just checked amazon and they have a 30 pack of what I usually buy for the same price per roll as in the shops. Will get that just to be on the safe side.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  6. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

Just plumb in one these and then your sorted for the rest of the pandemic.
    [​IMG]

adamsleath and macktheknife like this.
  7. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Have you tried your local small shop (IGA, Foodworks etc)? The small shops I have been to in my area still have pretty much everything including toilet paper.

macktheknife likes this.
  8. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I know a few places that might have had some that I could have checked but don't really need to if that delivery comes like it should.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

And it's about to get even worse with prices heading skywards, not just for groceries but for appliances and a lot of other items.

macktheknife likes this.
  10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

https://www.cdpp.gov.au/case-reports/global-shipping-company-convicted-cartel-conduct
    shipping making dollars
    hand over fist
    dudes.

https://business-review.eu/business...strial-companies-are-severely-affected-225853

that's 5 fold. ive heard stories of other shipping costs being 10-fold.

the joys of QE , free markets, etc.
    I dont see much on google about other fines for cartels. but the price hikes are certainly happening.

good ole "supply and demand" - can't beat it :lol:
    https://www.shippingaustralia.com.au/ship-operating-costs-up-773-demand-up-supply-up-congestion-up-shipper-propaganda-up/#:~:text=The costs to operate a,can only take place slowly.

can also thank the oil investors. <3

lol
    gee it all seems interconnected somehow. greed will out.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  11. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

If the libs lose the election all the companies will push major price rises and blame "inflation". Same thing they're doing in America right now.

Two birds with one stone, they can shit on a Labor government, and make more profit.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  12. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

we need nuclear powered container ships

(jk not really)

13. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Well it has been done, incidentally. Spectacularly unsuccessfully commercially speaking, but still. It's been done. Hell, *one* still operates, the russian ship Sevorput. But nuclear power's one of the most expensive ways on earth of doing almost anything, so "commercial" and "nuclear" usually means "oh look it's taxpayers propping it up", and that's been the case for *every* application of nuclear power pretty much ever.

14. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Day after I get my amazon megapack of toilet paper they actually had some in woolies. Not a heap but a decent amount.

And even though it was 8pm on Saturday night, the place looked was looking like a warehouse, with entire aisles blocked off by double stacked pallets being carted around by the workers. Just me or is that a very odd time to be dragging shit out to the floor while getting in the way of customers?

MR CHILLED likes this.
  15. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

My Coles and Woolies are dragging cages and pallets out all day because they no longer pay night fill staff to restock. Obviously some restocking has to happen through the day, specially now with deliveries not coming at a set time like they used to, but after about 8pm my locals use the last shift of the day to restock for the morning and hope they don't get a rush on before midnight close.

macktheknife likes this.
  16. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Most Woolworths nightfill (maybe not all but most in NSW at least) shifts finish at 11, so there will be some form of filling from around 5pm

17. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Back when I used to deliver to Woolies and Coles they had nightfill start at 10 and work through to about 6. They still required some shelf filling during the day and that was part of the reason they started using cages and lessened the number of pallets in use. (That and the cages packed better for the drivers who couldn't keep their loads upright.) But the majority of the shelf stacking was done during the hours the shops weren't open. The few 24 hour stores obviously didn't have the luxury.

macktheknife likes this.
  18. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Yeah, penalty rates have stopped a lot of the overnight packing

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've been camping out on the Amazon Quilton 3 ply sale page until they popped up again and grabbed a couple of packs recently. 45 3 ply Quilton rolls for $20 delivered, can't go wrong.

macktheknife likes this.
  20. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Have you ever compared to Kirkland? My favourite shit tickets. Got a block of quilton last time we couldn't get kirkland and regretted. Soon as the kirkland got delivered the quilton straight down to kids toilet.