Group Policy

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Multiplexer, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I want to setup a GPO where notepad.exe will open on logon.

Below screenshot is what I have and it works for all user. Now, I want the policy to only target 1 user on any machine.

How can I go about achieving this? I tired WMI filter but that did not work (maybe I am doing it wrong). The only way I can do this is in the Security Filtering, I remove Authenticated Users, add the 1 users and add all the machine but I want something cleaner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Cleaner how?

WMI Filtering was my first thought, what Filter were you using. and how wasn't it working?

My second thought was to use Group Policy Preferences to create a shortcut to notepad.exe in the users startup folder, and use Item level Targetting to limit to your subset of users.

but, as with most things... xyproblem.info - you don't really want to create a notepad.exe shortcut for a single user, so if you tell us what X actually is, we are in a better position to provide advice.

freaky_beeky likes this.
  3. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Remove Authenticated Users from security filtering, add the relevant user and Domain Computers group. Disable Computer settings on the GPO.

4. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I created a filer "Select * from win32_userAccount where Name='Multiplex'" but notepad still open for all.

The application I want to open varies, dsa.msc, powershell, Studio Manager, etc. Just want to make my logon much faster...

I dont want to use domain computer group in security filter because the group will require maintenance and in a large infrastructure it becomes a pain to maintain.

5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Is your startup folder broken?

6. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I am not using a start up folder. I want a solution where I can easily apply to other domain with minimum change. So a solution where I need to copy a batch file to a folder or where I need to edit security filter based on domain/environment is not acceptable.

7. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'm struggling to get my head around the problem you're trying to solve.

It looks like you've got your "Run On Logon" policy linked to a Computers OU... but its a user policy.

If one of my techs was using group policy to add autoruns to single user accounts, I'd be seriously asking why, Just because you 'Can' doesn't mean you should.

And this is somehow "Cleaner"?

9. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I am trying to achieve where If database admin logon to database server then SQL Studio Management will open.

I want a solution where I can quickly deploy and change at a whim. The solution need to have minimum maintenance. I think this is the fastest in term of deployment but I am open to suggestion and welcome anyone able to provide an improve method of execution.

10. power

power Member

you could just create a scheduled task gp object. machine based and have it run at logon of any user.

that might work?

11. chip

chip Member

Why are DBAs logging into DB servers interactively, and frequently enough for this sort of automation have a business case?

12. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

That’s not how it works.
    The computer account always needs security permissions to read the GPO, however as you are adding settings under the user policy section, it will only apply to user accounts with permissions to read and apply the GPO. If you added settings under the computer policy section, then yes it would apply to all users of the computer.

You can of course add specific computer objects or even a group of computers to your GPO instead of the domain computers group, if you can’t restrict its scope by applying it to a specific OU.

Unless you are using loopback policy processing, then it’s a bit different.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  13. NSanity

NSanity Member

Why are people installing management tools and allowing generic logon to business critical servers....

Baby millsy cried

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Because I don't have time to do it properly.
    But somehow, I'll find time to do it again.

looktall, NSanity and freaky_beeky like this.
  15. chip

chip Member

devops

16. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

DevOps should have the server built as IAC, the management tools should never be part of the installation.
    The server might come up with all default names, unpatched, and no security, but I wouldn't blame DevOps for installing management tools on production servers.

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

mjpop.gif

Fred Nurk likes this.
  18. NSanity

NSanity Member

No.

19. tensop

tensop Member

its 2020, i thought the devops term was dead already

20. chip

chip Member