1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Grouped PoE+ devices connection failing

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by PheonixV2, Mar 24, 2020.

1. PheonixV2

PheonixV2 Member

I'm having issues with PoE+ power and ethernet connections.

The setup: I have 12 lattepandas that are connected via CAT6 cable to a DrayTek P2280x switch - The switch has a 400W Power capacity and directly budgets 30W to each connection and I have confirmed that each connection is operating at 802.3at (it is configurable on the switch manager). Each devices draws an average of 12W during operation but can go up to 17 during boot

Power is split out from the PoE+ connection using the D-Link DPE-301GS set at 12V

The issue:

• When individually plugged in (only one device, no others) each device can receive power and 1000base-T connection and operates as intended. 8 of the devices will not work if any of those other 8 are plugged in (example, device A works by itself, plug in device B and device B won't turn on, remove device A and device be will start working)
    • When the switch is powered off, all devices are plugged in and then the switch is powered on, all devices get power and ethernet connection HOWEVER if a device is removed and re-plugged it won't get power or ethernet
    • When the switch shows there is no power or ethernet both status lights are off and the switch management page shows nothing is connected HOWEVER the power status lights on the splitter and the device are on however not enough power is being delivered for the device to boot
    • The other 4 devices operate perfectly fine and there is no impact on their power or connection when other devices are connected - connection order does not impact these 4
    This issue is port and switch agnostic - I have tried with a managed enGenius switch as well as a unmanaged Netgear one.

Has anyone come across a problem similar to this before? Could there be interference between the ethernet cables themselves that might be causing this?

2. bucket23

bucket23 Member

What are the lattepandas models numbers? Are all 12 the same model?

3. OP
    OP
    PheonixV2

PheonixV2 Member

They are all LattePanda Delta 432's set up with ubuntu server and during individual testing work completely fine, can ssh into them, update, install, run etc

4. bucket23

bucket23 Member

I don’t really have anything solid to try. The switch looks like it has different configuration in ports 1-12 than ports 13-24. Could try all devices plugged into either ports 1-12 or ports 13-24.
    Are all the tplinks the same version, i.e. they’re all the same model but maybe some are different versions. I’ve seen some weird stuff with different versions. Same thing goes with motherboard versions.
    Have you tried swapping the good panda with a non working panda?

edit. Sorry meant dlink and not tplink

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  5. OP
    OP
    PheonixV2

PheonixV2 Member

What do you mean the ports are configured differently? I've been through the spec sheet again and can't find any reference to that? I will definitely try though

6. bucket23

bucket23 Member

7. OP
    OP
    PheonixV2

PheonixV2 Member

Unfortunately they're already currently configured like that, thanks for having a look!

8. g@z

g@z Member