Gsync worth it

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by B.D.R, Sep 23, 2017.

1. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Is Gsync REALLY worth the premium?

Looking at a 27" IPS screen, and see Gsync, but I don't really care about 144hz, or shite like that, I don't play twitchy games where every pixel being lined up all the time is uber important:lol:

Mainly play World of tanks and what not, so nice and slow action, currently running a 980ti but will be changing sooner or later to a 1080ti if that makes much differance:confused:

2. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I think it's worth it, and it isn't THAT much of a premium to pay I don't think.

3. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

I'm running a 144hz samsung 27 curved QD monitor on a 980 ti and tbh I don't see tearing on any games that I play that's with no vsync.

What resolution are you looking at?

IMO gsync/freesync really only come into play with mid range gpu's that struggle to maintain the monitors refresh rate.

As your not playing twitchy games I would agree tearing wouldn't be a issue for you. But i would still recommend a high refresh monitor.

4. OP
    OP
    B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Best part of $300+:wired:

Should have mentioned that 2556 x 1440

I think my poor old 1090t is more of a hindrance than the GPU at the minute:lol:

5. bennyg

bennyg Member

I'd rather go the next tier of GPU up with that ~$300 and get a smoother experience that way.

Or with the slow thread throughput of that old AMD hex core, put it towards a more modern CPU

6. OP
    OP
    B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Yeah the old girl is due for a gold watch and retirement:lol: , just waiting on Intel to gte off their arse and release coffee lake :leet:

7. havabeer

havabeer Member

Yes... yes it is

when everything smooths out during motion its just delightful.

8. Jza85

Jza85 Member

I think it only matters a little at lower fps.
    I turn it off and on when gaming at x34 predator at 100hz. I Can't see any difference.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  9. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

For me no, the extra bucks you pay for G Sync (about 200ish if you look at the same monitor with free sync or g sync) could be invested into a better graphics card

10. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

for me 100%, I would never buy a panel without Gsync.

200$ the equivalent of what you spend during one Saturday evening out with mates.....

would be nice to have it for free, once the FreeSync get to same level, then no, until then G-sync it is.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  11. Roscosity

Roscosity Member

You kind of answered your own question in my opinion
    If you don't care, don't worry

But it DOES look fantastic in some games, really does
    But if you don't notice, no fuss

I personally don't care about 4k

12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

its not about tearing as much as its marketed as.. (adaptive v-sync fixed that years ago) its all about removing stutter associated with sudden frame dips under refresh rate which makes game clunky as! Before G-Sync I had to have FPS over 100 or I hated the game.. now I have G-Sync that has dropped down to 80fps.

Its worth it for any GPU, but the lower the GPU's power the more benefit yes. But even a 1080ti wont hold your refresh rate in every game.

G-Sync is absolutely worth it (as is Freesync for AMD users)

This article although old, explains it well..

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview/

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  13. pocaru

pocaru Member

Definitely worth it if you hunt for a bargain. I don't think I'd ever pay full retail-price for a G-Sync monitor.

14. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

I see a massive difference when pitching aircraft in bf1, although im probably doing 70-80fps

15. [AOB]TommO

[AOB]TommO Member

Definitely worth it.

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

if your fps drop below 100 there is a big difference in most games. Try something like fallout 4.

17. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

I find it a bit overated, it's more a piece of mind thing that my high end monitor has all the bells and whistles to try justify the frankly insane cost.

It's true you don't see much in the way of stuttering but then how often did you notice it before you used gsync? I've disabled gsync then turned it back on to see the difference, you have to look for it but it's there at 3440x1440 on my 1070, but it honestly didn't take anything away from the games I played.

I've heard people say it's so jarring when they experience stuttering, then the last 20+ years of gaming must have been excruciating, either that or they're overstating the difference.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  18. WallySimmonds

WallySimmonds Member

Yeah, imo it's probably a bit overstated/overplayed in importance.

However, if I was buying right now - I would be very unlikely to purchase a monitor without it as I want to have the best possible experience. I went from a Dell 34" to a Acer X34.

I'll be very interested to see the next Gen IPS monitors that use this tech.

19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

the main reason stuttering became more apparent is high refresh rates, been only last what 7 years (if that) we been above 60hz on LCD.

Once I went from 60hz to 120hz+ I found any frame dips very annoying.. I put this all down to the fact the frames were lower, but the main visual annoyance was the stutter associated with everything going out of sync.

G-Sync fixes this and all of a sudden fps dips became so much less noticeable.

But yes, some people are more sensitive to stutter/low fps then others.

20. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

It hurts but actually it makes for a beautiful experience.

Every time a mate comes over they can't get over the gameplay with a g-sync monitor. If you have to sacrifice some other spec like going from i5 to i7 then spend the money there... but if you don't have any other limitations then really the little extra is worth it for G-sync.