Gsync worth it

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by B.D.R, Sep 23, 2017.

1. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

I'd say the biggest change for me is that I use to spend hours fiddling with settings to make sure I could lock it at a certain FPS without dips for vsync.

Because I don't have to worry about that at all I can just set a game to where I am happy for a balance between FPS and Render Quality and I off I go.

I've had a 144hz non sync'd monitor and it was a pain to try and run vsync and keep find a refresh rate that I wouldn't dip under and cause stutter.

2. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Depends on what you mean. Over an equivalent FreeSync monitor? I'd probably say no, though I've never used FreeSync.

Gsync over no gsync? Depends on how much screen tearing, vsync input lag and/or vsync stuttering bothers you. G-sync gets rid of all those problems, though it's no magic bullet. Low FPS will still look choppy, just without screen tearing and vsync stuttering.

Also note, g-sync has an operational range and if your card is rendering at a frame rate outside of that range, g-sync will not be active. There is no official FPS limiter provided by nvidia and third party frame rate limiters (RTSS, nvidia inspector) all induce some input lag (https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/). To have g-sync enabled consistently and with minimal input lag, you will want to be playing games with built in fps limiters.

3. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

In my opinion, I wouldn't be going out of my way for Freesync/Gsync. Its certainly not worth a massive price premium ($200+). I'd just invest that into a better graphics card.

The only time I see decent benefit is in <40FPS situations which I tend to avoid anyway. Maybe im not as suseptible to these syncs everyone complains about though. It all looks good to me at 60FPS+

4. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

G-sync is not designed for people like you :). They designed it for people that clearly see the (to me) massive difference in fluidity between 60hz and 120hz+ and the annoying screen tearing when not using G-sync.

You are like my cousin, he "cannot" see the difference between my Swift and his standard 60hz Asus panel, fair enough, good for him. For me there is a massive difference and I cannot stand 60hz and not having Free/G-sync.

What I’m trying to say is that, for some this is worthless gimmick, for some it’s a must. Best thing to do, is to test it real life either at some local PC store with showroom (like mwave is SYD), at mates place or ask nicely someone here on forum .:thumbup:

5. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

No. I can easily tell the difference between 60 and 120. GSync does not feel like 120 fluidity.

6. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

You are correct. Whole point of G-sync is to eliminate tearing, which it does 100%. Another side benefit is that, when you dip below 120hz you can see that the game is "slowing" down and it's not running "full speed", G-sync eliminates this to some extend.

Going from Samsung 950D 120hz, Asus 120hz and Qnix 1440@120hz all with no G-sync to Swift with G-sync it was a really nice upgrade.

7. Dopeturtles

Dopeturtles Member

I agree with these comments.

I also cannot tell whether g-sync is on or off on high refresh rate monitors. In my mind g-sync is good for 4k and sub 60fps.

8. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

9. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

THIS

With G-sync I just can't tell how hard the GPU is working... it's like magic. There just isn't any indication that things are grinding to a halt. No stuttering, no tearing... just beautiful smooth video.

I'm sure there are some competitive FPS players who will notice but for average joe like me it's great...

10. pocaru

pocaru Member